How to cut a 30mm X 4mm X 4mm walnut into 4 equal pieces

The model that I am working on requires that I cut a piece of 30mm X 4mm X 4mm walnut into 4 equal pieces. I considered using my exacto hobby saw. It is probably to thick for side cutters. It is probably to small for a 2" power cut off saw.

What do you old "Salts" recommend?

RussR

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

4 pieces as in: 30mm x 2mm x 2mm ?

Sometimes I wonder why kit-sellers just don't include enough strip of the size they need......

Assuming my assumption is coorect. Wallnut is pretty tough and can have quite some grain, and 4mm is too thick to use a knife. My guess is that using a knife will lead to splitting and splintering of the wood.

recommendation 1: Is the piece going to be painted? if so: try finding some strip in a size that matches the 2x2mm thickness you need.

recommendation 2: I have some small (thin, and rather sharp) X-acto saw blades that can be put in a knife-holder. These are much finer than normal fretsaws, etc.excel-20013-5pc-13-fine-saw-blade-main.j

Couldn't find an X-acto pic, so I took an other one.

Jan

That was my though, but I have to think about cutting the last piece into two.  I would have to be able to hold a very tiny piece and cut it.

At this point I am thinking I would be better off to just buying some 4mm X 4mm basswood stock at Hobby Lobby and cut it with my 2" cut off power saw. The trade off is I would need to either paint them or stain them.

My complaint with kit manufacturers is they don't put dimensions on there drawings.  And they don't consider how the builder is to do what is required for a good out come.

I am looking forward to the day that I reach a point to start scratch building from plans.

Thanks again for the reply.

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

Dave, that is a good idea.

I only wish we had a local model shop. The closest thing we have to a model shop is Hobby Lobby or one that is about 60 miles away. And they sell mostly plastic.

I'll have to make do with what is available.

Thanks for the reply

RussR :)

RussR

How about sticking it to a longer piece of sacrificial timber using double sided tape. Then cut it on a chop saw or table saw using a very thin slitting saw blade while holding the sacrificial timber. Alternatively if you don't have power tools cut it with a razor saw and mitre block.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

If it only needs to be roughly 7mm, clamp it to a piece of softwood using double sided tape if you have it. Mark the first piece and cut 3/4 the way through and then move on to the second piece. Continue until you have all the pieces you need, then move back to the first cut to finish off, it should only take a stroke. You can move along the cuts giving you more control for the final ones as you don't have to cut as much wood. Also try using a Japanese saw with a very fine cut. This cuts on the pull stroke rather than the push stroke which if used against a back stop gives better control. You can also try using an Exacto ( Or similar) saw backwards but it's not so good. To finish off put all the pieces together and brush lightly with sandpaper glued to a board to keep square.

Finished builds are 

1/35 Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

1/36 scratch built Philadelphia Gunboat from the Smithsonian Plans

Current build is

Scratch build Boudroit's Monograph for La Jacinthe at 1/36

I appreciate all you guys input on my little problem. All of your ideas are well taken and filed away in my mental bank for future recall.

What I had done was I found a piece of 3/16" square junk wood and cut it to 7mm length and sanded two edges to 4mm. I just painted them. Since they are so small I think it will look like it was planed.

At this point in my skill level I bought an AL model of the 1805 Pilot Boat for $35.00 on eBay to practice on. My skills are far from perfect at this point. It is doubtful if I will even display it. I am learning a lot. But it gives my pea brain something to do. Like they sayl "you learn by doing".

Thanks again.

RussR