Hello from Perth, Western Australia

I have been modelling as a youngster for many years, all in plastic. 11 Years ago I decided to give wood a go and bought Artesania’s HMS Endeavor. Without space, proper tools and knowledge it unfortunately ended up in the bin during the planking stage.

My second attempt was around 5 years ago with Artesania’s HMS Supply, which met the same fate.

So this time around I decided to listen to the advice on this great forum and started with some simpler designs (and more space and better tools), and after finishing the ‘Saint Malo’ and ‘Bon Retour’ I am now well and truly hooked.

I am currently halfway into the San Fransisco cross section (to avoid serious planking?) and am already looking forward to tackle the next one.

Current Build:     USF Confederacy 1778 - Model Shipways - 1:64

Completed:         US Brig Syren - Model Shipways - 1:64

San Francisco Cross Section - Artesania Latina - 1:50

Future build:        HM Granado - Caldercraft - 1:64

LeRenard - Artesania Latina - 1:50

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to MSW, Peter ... there are a few of us Perth-ites here.

:dancetl6::dancetl6:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Thanks everyone,

I believe I'm too far in to start a log on the San Francisco, the hull is almost done, the rigging is next. I've added a few photo's of the three models I have worked on this year.

I'm planning to give the Brig Syren a go next. I might bite off a bit more than I can chew but with the help of this forum and by running a log I will give it my best shot.

Bon Retour.jpg

San Malo.jpg

San Francisco.jpg

Welcome to MSW Peter

I am new to this forum as well, and have used many parts of it to get help on many different subjects from tools to wood ,and the knowledge you get from the members and there posts are overwhelming I can read them for hours until my brain can't hold any more lol Have fun can't wait to see your Syren get started in a log 

Derek :10_1_10:

Derek C

A man without a goal is like a ship without a rudder --Thomas Carlyle

Current Build

18th Century Whaling Vessel "Lagoda"

Finished Builds

Triton Cross Section by Derek C 1/48 

18th century longboat by Slideways - FINISHED - Model Shipways

18th century longboat by sideways from MS plans

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Peter, and another welcome from the east coast.

You'll probably find the Syren easier than the Artesania Kits you've been doing so far - I made the Supply about 10 years ago, and the kit was so bad I ended up Scratch-building most of it. It came out pretty well in the end, she now resides in the Pier Museum on Norfolk Island :).

A blessing in disguise, I've never gone back to Kits until I started my first Card model (I'm hooked on them now :D).

Good luck with Syren. Model Shipways Kits are generally pretty good.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Thanks Dan,

I'm not sure about that. The AL kits I started with this year were beginners kits and even the San Fransisco is classed as a 2 star kit by Al. I have started other hobbies is the past where I ended up as a collector of the latest and greatest rather than doing the hobby. I (and the admiral) wanted to make sure that this one was not another flash in the pan and was going to stick before getting into the more complex models. I have little doubt about that now. I used to enjoy modeling it as a kid, I enjoy it even more now.

The Syren is an advanced kit and I've been drooling over some of the master pieces being build in the forum. I wont be kidding myself, I'm still years away (if ever) from reaching those skill levels. My goals are to enjoy the journey (tick), and learn and get better as I go (tick?). The rest will fall into place.

I've committed to finish the SF before I start, so I still have a few weeks to go.

I'm also a bit nervous starting a log and putting my work out there. It almost feels like setting yourself up for something to go wrong. I normally prefer to tick along in the background. But hey,.. sharing is caring and if something does go wrong, a log might prevent others making the same mistake.

Peter.

Actually Peter, there's another way of looking at so-called Beginners and Advanced Kits, and some of it depends on the manufacturers "Rating". AL Kits are more difficult to do than, say Caldercraft or Amati (among others) if you're looking for Realism and/or Authenticity. To get a typical AL kit (especially the later kits that are Made in Asia) to an acceptable level of authenticity requires a LOT of Scratch-building to replace the rubbish parts and instructions supplied in the kit, whereas the better quality kits require very little.

12 minutes ago, Peter Bloemendaal said:

I'm also a bit nervous starting a log and putting my work out there. It almost feels like setting yourself up for something to go wrong. I normally prefer to tick along in the background. But hey,.. sharing is caring and if something does go wrong, a log might prevent others making the same mistake.

Read THIS TOPIC. Even the best builders make mistakes, it's all part of the hobby so you'll be in good company :D.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

On 9/10/2017 at 4:45 PM, Peter Bloemendaal said:

Thanks Dan,

I'm not sure about that. The AL kits I started with this year were beginners kits and even the San Fransisco is classed as a 2 star kit by Al. I have started other hobbies is the past where I ended up as a collector of the latest and greatest rather than doing the hobby. I (and the admiral) wanted to make sure that this one was not another flash in the pan and was going to stick before getting into the more complex models. I have little doubt about that now. I used to enjoy modeling it as a kid, I enjoy it even more now.

The Syren is an advanced kit and I've been drooling over some of the master pieces being build in the forum. I wont be kidding myself, I'm still years away (if ever) from reaching those skill levels. My goals are to enjoy the journey (tick), and learn and get better as I go (tick?). The rest will fall into place.

I've committed to finish the SF before I start, so I still have a few weeks to go.

Peter.

Welcome Peter,

I am new here too, and I started on a so called "beginners kit" The 18th Century Longboat, but it was not all that easy, and did not turn out as well as I would have liked, but it did teach me a lot, along with this forum. From the looks of your other models, you should be fine. So far The Syren is going along much better than my longboat and I am enjoying the build even more, and like you I was hesitant to put my build log up and let everyone see my work too, But everyone here is friendly and supportive and will give you tips, I plan on doing a better job on my build log for the Syren than I did for the Longboat. So I hope you start on on the Syren too.

Shawn.

Thanks Shawn,

Yep, it's a great forum isn't it. The beginners kits were a bit of a challenge at times for me as well. I also rushed them a bit and paid the price. The familiar path of two steps forward, one step back. But I managed to repair the bits I broke and I can live with the area's I could have done better.

I am rigging the San Fransisco cross section at the moment and it is throwing up some challenges. It is my first exposure to some reasonably complex rigging so I am taking my time to get it right. (I tried to get done what I wanted to get done over the weekend, rushed it, and consequently cut an extra line already glued in place....DOH!! - another lesson learned).

I also promised myself not to start the Syren before I finish the SF.

There is also one of those nasty things called "Holiday" on the horizon, those things really slow your modelling down. So my gut feel is that I will start the Syren log in around 2 months. Can't wait though...

Welcome to a great place that is full of fine people with lots of help and knowledge to offer