Maersk Detroit by xken - 1:354 scale - Container ship

Jack,

Thanks, for the explanation. John here is an image as well as a PDF file of the working CAD drawing I will be using when time to start building. Yesterday I had a chance to see the museum building under construction ready for interior painting. The opening is planned for October to coincide with the Harbor Festival. The build is on hold for now until the building is complete due to budget constraints. But if I wish I can start at my own risk of not being paid for some time. 

I also have just been asked to consider two commissions for ME which will take priority at this point. 

66ef4b80.gif.a6fb81bac432f2457b356edbceb9f959.gif

Here is CAD drawing:  LCVP PLAN01.pdf

Ken

Current build: Maersk Detroit"
Future builds:  Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90
Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

• 2 weeks later...

Taking a break from CAD drawing on two new projects; after awhile the old eyeballs start doing barrel rolls so to break away from the screen I bounce back to working on the ship. Here are a few images of making the bow chocks which have both horizontal and vertical rollers. The challenge was fitting each to there respective hull locations with different angles.

First was starting with square brass tube and inserting it into the opening in the hull and scribed a line on the external side of the hull. Then drilling two holes and inserting rods and cutting and filing smooth. Then two additional holes drilled and then filed to fit.

5a7b4f836ddcd_Chocks01.thumb.jpg.7fca94a96f45f8f61cf1a82173f532e0.jpg

5a7b4f96b92f9_Chocks02.thumb.jpg.ca835a820e894f597515eb7fc97e8b09.jpg

This shows the size of these chocks.

5a7b4fa45fded_Chocks03.thumb.jpg.6abb1700b5dce9d021d9d3bb89b94974.jpg

Here they are for final fitting.

5a7b4fb49788c_Chocks04.thumb.jpg.99a6875d82cf35186f8023eac0277ca6.jpg

Now back to more CAD drawing.

Ken

Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

• 4 weeks later...

Between breaks from CAD drawing I finished up all the chocks for the forecastle and stern mooring deck. I also made a display base for her to sit upon. Next I will work on the small boats, their cranes and davits. Still waiting to get images of the container deck structures and catwalks as well as the new propeller.

5a985b77ed9b0_Chocks05.thumb.jpg.56deca25bed5208f91c0eaa5869afcb3.jpg

5a985b826a92d_Chocks06.thumb.jpg.1f82a563a64d3aecbc45a06ae114122c.jpg

Base.thumb.jpg.0b3487d61d6a3a684b0ada7045a1f7dd.jpg

I have sent laser cut part files off for two projects so I will be waiting for parts to arrive. Now back to work.

Ken

• 2 months later...

Glad I found and caught the tail end of this project! Absolutely fascinating - I'm a Naval Architect, and our senior design project in school was a containership design. They're rare models, though, so it's really fun to see one here! Looks excellent!!

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

• 2 months later...

I have been busy on three kit design projects; two of which are in production and the third still in design. But now waiting for parts to come so I got back on the Detroit and carved the Rescue and two life boats. I used poplar rather than Basswood to get the detail needed. Here are pictures of the boats. Next will be the davits which Evan has detailed photos of to share when back.

Here is the first life boat.

5b48e30b55a61_Lifeboat01.thumb.jpg.8e1735ea4411ffce0299926e28a5df1d.jpg

5b48e31fd1f28_Lifeboat02.thumb.jpg.dd9463924db380d9992955c47ad94191.jpg

Then the trick was to carve the second as close as possible to the first. They are both the same size despite the camera lens distortion.

5b48e332d6e57_Lifeboat03.thumb.jpg.8fd6aa22e07c6333de27fb33aa05621a.jpg

Here they are painted red as close as I could match. Various sources show color variations that are weathered paint.

5b48e347e5939_Lifeboat05.thumb.jpg.54efd412473be20f17650dcce6999f8b.jpg

Here they are in there locations on the ship needing their davits.

5b48e35b3aa77_Lifeboat06.thumb.jpg.0ff4ef4346b1e14aff2a67a7b32f2804.jpg

I will wait for the photos of the davits that hopefully will have next week. Thursday I leave to deliver the Constitution to my son in Southold, N.Y. a cross country drive across this wonderful land. 

Ken

Have a safe trip, Ken.  The Detroit is looking great.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the update. That's some great carving with a nice result. Have a lovely trip and wave if you pass through Missouri!

Beautiful work, Ken - 

Love how she is coming out.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

• 2 years later...

Ben, I have made the propeller, but have really been buried non stop designing model kits for Model Expo and they have several more in the line up. They are various subjects and time consuming. I started this for my son in law as a spare time project and guess what no spare time yet. It is one of those good news, bad news situations.

But it will get done some day. Thanks for checking in.

Ken