I'm looking for any information on archeological finds of the 70 gun Third Rate Anne, which sank off the coast of Hastings in 1690. She was built by Phineas Pett II in 1678, and I'm assuming her framing and construction details would have been very similar to that of a Third Rate built in 1706. I've just purchased Richard Endsor's book, "The Warship Anne", https://www.amazon.com/dp/1844864391/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IA76WH956LJWS&colid=2EF88C11KQRNO but I'm not sure how much of the archeological information is covered. 

Cheers,

Bill Abbott

www.abbottcartoons.com 

On 9/1/2017 at 11:15 AM, Billtoons said:

I'm looking for any information on archeological finds of the 70 gun Third Rate Anne, which sank off the coast of Hastings in 1690. She was built by Phineas Pett II in 1678, and I'm assuming her framing and construction details would have been very similar to that of a Third Rate built in 1706. I've just purchased Richard Endsor's book, "The Warship Anne", https://www.amazon.com/dp/1844864391/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IA76WH956LJWS&colid=2EF88C11KQRNO but I'm not sure how much of the archeological information is covered. 

Cheers,

Bill Abbott

www.abbottcartoons.com 

Well, now.  This has been an interesting quest.  I have not been able to track down any easily available archeological survey information (but, that is not to say that there is none).  What I have found is the following from 1977:

Marsden, Peter, and David Lyon. 1977. “A Wreck Believed to Be the Warship Anne, Lost in 1690.” International Journal of Nautical Archaeology 6 (1): 9–20. doi:10.1111/j.1095-9270.1977.tb00984.x.

Endsor should have some fairly authoritative information in his book - he recently (2015) presented a fairly well attended symposium concerning the Anne. 

Hope this helps!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Hi Guys,

Every bit of archaeology so far carried out on the Anne is in the book. The whole of the lower hull is intact and really should be excavated so please get onto Historic England and Peter Marsden of the Shipwreck Museum, Hastings to encourage them to do more. The Warship Anne book is not a book about model making,  it is a "popular" book to promote the ship, so please don't give me a kicking. Bloomsbury got it out at an incredibly low price. Having said that it does contain 3 view drawings of the ship, the lines of which are utterly reliable I having extracted and interpreted them from Dummer's body plans in the BM which has never been done before. I did them for Phillip Reed to make a model of her for the Shipwreck Museum which owns the Anne. Now Phil makes rather small models and the drawings are rather small as well. I was so overjoyed with my work on her draught for Phil I went further and made it into a book. One thing Bill and the boys who are researching the Elizabeth will like is the two page digital plan of the ship on pages 42-43 and body plans page 44. Taken from the Vienna model of her.

Richard Endsor