Hello, i was searching info on ship holder while glue all bulks and start the kit. I have seen some people use some wood and place bulks in there to keep it stiil and then glue.

Is this the best thing to use? I have seen some rotating holders, are they necessary?

Please tell your opinion.

I'd say use what you think will work for you.  My kit models were set up using the Billings' jig.  Others use a variety of devices or none at all.  The rotational ones just make it easier to turn the whole thing around for working on the bow, stern and each side.   I do believe some sort of holder/jig should be used to keep everything properly square until several rows (strakes) of planking are installed.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you for the answers Mark and Jim.I want to place long ship in the holder, i know it is very important step of the ship building. I just made some holder, but it is hard to think where to place bolts to hold the ship and later remove them easy, with no harm to the ship frame.

Here it is what i have made already. Any ideas are welcome. thank you!

36856361141_f157c148e4_c.jpg

Edited by zappto

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

High Zappto I am using 2 jigs I have made One For The Vanguard the other for the Granado, they are constructed using box section aluminium

obtained from B & Q here in the uk, its sold in meter lengths, the finger grips are made from 1/4" steel strip with nylon facings, the units are very good at

keeping the keel straight during frame assemble and first planking, the Granado frame had a very slight curve after removal from the box, and due to the jig's alloy back bone this has now been corrected. the design enables you to complete the first planning nearly down to the keel before removal required. I have included a few

photos, hope this may be of help. Mike

DSC_0270.JPG

DSC_0271.JPG

G'day Zappto :). Have a look at THIS METHOD that I used on my Norfolk Sloop kit. You can use the screws to hold the ship to your building board and later on to mount to your permanent base or pedestals.

Instead of making your own "nuts" like I did you could simply use "normal" ones. I suggest you use Stainless Steel or brass ones to prevent any corrosion.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Thank you Vince, Max, Dan Vad, for reply, i will use these good ideas in the future.

I just got big ship building board to keep the ship in place and used metal frames from sides to keep it still. This will work for now.

Hi zappto

While you are designing and making your base board it would be a good time to consider a couple of things so that you can incorporate some features.

You will want to mount your bulkheads nice and square to the spine and the base so maybe think about features to locate a jig to held hold them square.

Also you might want to be attaching things to the model later in the build, so some feature to hook or attach clamps, elastic bands etc might be helpful, could just be a simple lip along the edges.

Nick

Edited by pompey2

• 1 month later...
On 9/2/2017 at 6:49 PM, mtaylor said:

I'd say use what you think will work for you.  My kit models were set up using the Billings' jig.  Others use a variety of devices or none at all.  The rotational ones just make it easier to turn the whole thing around for working on the bow, stern and each side.   I do believe some sort of holder/jig should be used to keep everything properly square until several rows (strakes) of planking are installed.

You might want to try building your own holder if you do considerable model work.  The crux of the matter is square, square, square as we all know.  dgreen10