Amati vs Caldercraft Granado

Matt H

I can't seem to find any comparison between the two, they are nearly the same in size and the same scale. What differences are there? Is the Amati version worth the extra cost of $200? The Amati seems to be a bit more detailed in the photos but I can't quite tell, I have been looking at both on the Ages of Sail and Ship Wright websites. I have searched the forums here but haven't found any direct comparison or explanation of any differences.

Thanks.

Matt

Completed Builds: Viking Drakkar - Amati - Scale 1:50

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways - Scale 1:48

From what i know Amati kits are considered to be mostly good (really depends on the particular mode)

as for the Amati-Victory Granado, this model belongs to a special line of models

designed by Chris Watton, all of the models in this series are said to be of very high quality i.e.Lady Nelson, Pegasus, Mercury etc

I would respectfully disagree with Ron. I can't speak for Amati's regular lineup of kits, but the Victory Models line is very good. I have also seen some comments made on MSW to the effect that Caldercraft's quality control has in recent years been kind of hit-or-miss. Even so, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a kit from either company. I can also say with regards to Victory Models that even though the kits are very good, there's still some compromises made in the name of making the product profitable, same as for all kits. Thinking mostly of a few off-the-shelf fittings, kit-grade rigging blocks, etc.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Thank you all for your info, I have purchased the Caldercraft and was very surprised it arrived from the UK in just over 48 hours from the time of purchase. I decided for my first larger ship to go with the cheaper of the two options. I think after this one is done I really like the Amati victory model Revenge, and I think my skills will be sufficient for a ship of that depth.

I have only looked at the contents, not yet taken an inventory. I am a single parent of a 9 year old boy and my parents usually buy a Christmas gift for him to give to me, they would never spend this much however. So I decided to buy it for myself and I will let them pretend to order it for him to give me. I have been dropping hints to him and my parents will guide him to that choice of gift. So for now it will remain on my shelf out of sight until Christmas, until then I have an Artesania Latina HMS Endeavour Captain's Longboat and a Model Shipways 18th Century Longboat to keep me busy and teach me the appropriate skills needed to tackle a ship like this.

Matt

Completed Builds: Viking Drakkar - Amati - Scale 1:50

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways - Scale 1:48