Scale figurines and deck accessories

Hi all, am currently building the Sergal Mississippi Riverboat 1:50 model. Given its not an actual real boat I am thinking I may like to put figures on the model. does anyone have any sites where I could get the correct scale and period figures for this? time period would be 1870-1890 odd. Am thinking along the line of fancy ladies and gentlemen etc. strolling the upper decks, plus maybe ships boys tending the fire buckets etc. and captain in the wheel house type of stuff.

cheers

chris

"O" Gage RR figures are 1/48 close to your scale.  Any RR supplier will have period figures.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Try the Walthers catalog of model railroad - they have probably the largest supply of model RR stuff - but they are US based - see http://www.walthers.com/‎

Chris:

Theyhave all periods.  US supplier would be Walthers as per Jack's link.  Sorry, don't know of anybody down under.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Chris,

give it a chance and Google :    Preiser 65303 

Preiser 65302

The figures are in period fashions around 1900 and in Gauge "O", which I think is scale 1:43, available in worldwide web shops (do`nt know in down under)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

vossy

I don't know about you, but my wife would get a little put out with me if I make a statement like that! :(

Lou

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

• 1 month later...

Hearns hobby shop under the arches at Flinders St Station in Melbourne - down Flinders St walking away from Swanston St. I think it's still there, and might have the figures you need, intended for model railways. As Kurt says, "O" gauge is 1:48 - close enough to 1:50.

Maybe you could phone them and find out (saves you a trip to Melbourne if they don't).

Steven

My bad. It appears Hearns only have OO HO and N gauge (1:87, 1:76 and 1:148).

But there are two worthwhile looking modelling shops in Ballarat which might be worth a phone call - Collector Models in Canadian and Harpers in Harold St Wendouree. There's also Toyworld in Howitt St and Handcrafts and Collectable Models in Sturt St, though they don't seem as likely.

And it still might be worth contacting Hearns in case they can get O gauge figures in for you.

But maybe the Net is your best bet. There are plenty of overseas suppliers if you do a search for O gauge Victorian figures.

Steven

• 5 months later...

Preiser, in my view, makes the best figurines. However, they focus largely on 'railway' scales, namely 1:220 (Z), 1:160 (N), 1:120 (TT, limited range), 1:87 (HO), 1:43 (O, limited range), and 1:22.5 (LGB). There is also a military range for 1:72 scale aircraft. The availability of these figures made me choose 'railway' scales for my shipmodels. They do large sets of unpainted figures that are cheaper per piece and a good starting point for conversions. There also 'academy' sets in various scales, which are naked figures broken down into body-parts that can be assembled to your gusto and 'dressed' using the usual sculpting techniques.

An example of using Preiser-figures is given here, for instance: http://www.maritima-et-mechanika.org/maritime/models/botter/botter.html#Creating_the_Staffage

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg