New member intro

walter1097

Hi, I usually just go by Ger, in an online context. I've been building models since I was ten or so. Plastic to start with, airplanes, ships, cars, military vehicles, weapons and figures. I think I started with wooden ships while I was still in the service. Did a few kits: Some early solid hull ones from Model Shipways, Rattlesnake, Fair American, Virginia Privateer and a couple others. I have a scratch built 1/64th model of the continental frigate Randolph, from plans enlarged from Chapelle. It has been stalled, at hull mostly done and lower masts in and rigged, while I've tried to figure out what to do about a figurehead and other decoration.

After a long absence pursuing other hobbies, mostly building and flying radio controlled airplanes and a bit of model railroading, I'm back to building wooden ship models from kits. Like a lot of folks here I've purchased several kits, mostly to get an idea of quality and what appeals to me for other reasons, before I started building one. Right now I'm working on the Bounty launch from MS. On the shelf waiting to be built (although one or two I like so little for one reason or another, that they may never get built) are: MS Chaperon, 18th cent longboat, Mantua Pinta, AL Nina. Not thrilled with the Italian kits. I REALLY don't like plywood when the edge shows on a completed model.

So I already have quite a few questions but I'll save them til I figure out the most appropriate place to ask them, after I've read a lot more build logs. 

Edited by walter1097
Spelling errors, etc.

Welcome! what part of the world are you located in? :piratebo5:

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks. I live in upstate NY. Meant to mention that but I did put it in my profile. Ok, I THOUGHT I put it in my profile but I just checked and it wasn't there. Fixed that. Still trying to add the Nickname (or whatever it is) above my profile photo. I'll get the hang of it eventually.

Edited by walter1097

Welcome to MSW :dancetl6:

Derek C

A man without a goal is like a ship without a rudder --Thomas Carlyle

Current Build

18th Century Whaling Vessel "Lagoda"

Finished Builds

Triton Cross Section by Derek C 1/48 

18th century longboat by Slideways - FINISHED - Model Shipways

18th century longboat by sideways from MS plans

Walter welcome to this amazing and engaging forum. I am curious as to your location as we have a modeling group here in the Rochester NY area. We are a small group with both nearby and distance members. We have members from Buffalo and Syracuse and even a distance member in Lisbon Portugal! Please visit our web site www.modelshipwrightguildwny.org for more about us. We surely would like to have you visit us if that is feasible.

Regards Joe (Model Shipwright Guild Facilitator)

Thanks again, everyone. Actually, my name isn't Walter. I revived that handle from when I used to participate in a chat room. Walter came from Walter Nowotny. I'm sure many of you recognize the name. My given name is Gerry, so most of my friends call me Ger. I tend to be cautious, at least at first, with revealing personal details in an online forum. I'm sure I'll get more comfortable with time.

davidrasch: I've never heard of JoTika models but I will definitely look into them. Thanks. 

Thistle17: I live in a small town near Syracuse. I moved from the Rochester area about 3 yrs ago. I'll check out your website soon.

I don't know what happened to my lazy, laid back retirement. I seem to be almost as busy these days as when I was working. I can't even sleep in on weekdays. The landlady's dogs come thundering down the stairs before she leaves for work. Nothing like a cold nose in your armpit to wake you up early. (sorry if the crude image offends anyone)

Joe: Sorry, I don't get around much any more. That's part of the reason I got back into ship modeling. I didn't get out flying at all this season, just didn't feel up to it. The one day I tried I got rained out right after I got my plane fueled. Might still make it, but I doubt it. I get to Rochester two or three times a year to see the doc and that pretty much wears me out. I'd be happy to join online discussions, share experience, photos of builds, etc.

Yeah, tell me about it. When I lived in Virginia, right after I got out of the service, my neighbors would ask why I didn't SOUND like I was from New York. I told them I DO sound like I'm from NY. Just 'cause I don't say toity toid and toid street doesn't mean I'm not a New Yorker, born and raised. I got even though. The first winter we were there we got a foot and a half of snow, which the Yankees on the corner (us) claimed full credit for,,,,you're  welcome. I grew up spending summers on Keuka Lake and I still say the Finger Lakes area is one of the prettiest in the country.