might this be converted to a ropewalk?

I acquired two old pencil sharpeners and while looking them over I suddenly saw a ropewalk conversion project in my future.

Seems all it needs is an addition to the hub end to connect the three lines.

This will not be for some time but thought I'd share the idea and would appreciate any comments.

pencil_sharpener_1.mp4

pencil sharperner photo 1.jpg

pencil sharperner photo 2.jpg

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

It probabaly would be easier to build a ropewalk from scratch, rather than modify a pencil sharpener, I think. You need a central axis with a bigger gear (either hand cranked or motorized, and on the periphery of this larger gear you need to mount three (or four) smaller gears which engage the "teeth" of the larger gear. So that everything rotates together and in the same direction when you start spinning this central axis.

I suggest, you pay a visit to a local junk (scrap metal) store where they have bits and pieces of old machinery, and start looking for appropriate gears. This is the most difficult task (to find those gears) because buying them new online may be quite expensive, after that everyting is much easier. It is then just a matter of finding some time to assemble everything.

I built my ropewalk many years ago and it still serves me well.

Here is one pic of this gadget.

Regards,

Thomas

ropewalk09.jpg

You can find plastic gears of about any size if you just pay a visit to a local printers service. They always have a pile of broken printers and there you can find such goodies :)

The technicians there will think you're nuts, but hey... 

Edited by moflea

Alex.

Current build: Constructo's Union, 1:100 Brigantine

• 2 years later...
16 hours ago, shipman said:

This may look daft BUT if you don't want the world on a string?

tarnation.jpg.121a4814d0d9400a5c31e79e3269d59f.jpg

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi there Mark. Seasons Greetings.

I picked up a box full of these 'things' at a yard sale for the price of a mug of coffee.

They come with 2, 3, and 4 posts. In a range of lovely colours.

The head revolves one way and each of the posts revolve in the opposite direction.

The principals of a simple rope walk are there. Even if these 'things' aren't what we wished we had, at least one could be used to demonstrate how a proper rope walk works. And all it cost would be a dollar or a pound. Or a cup of coffee.

Say hi to Jed.