Chuck

HMS Winchelsea - 1764 - Scratch by Chuck (1/4" scale) - version two

No pre-sales unfortunately....I am feeling stressed out as it is.  I want to wait until this hull is planked before I start selling starter kits.  

I havent worked out the details yet but let me tell you...there are a lot of bulkheads and they are big.  

In addition to those, the starter package will include laser cut keel and stem parts, whatever strip wood is needed to frame the gun ports and stern along with the stern frames.  Of course the plans as well.  Basically everything needed to complete the skeleton so you can begin planking.

My guess is it will be in the neighborhood of $150 give or take....plus shipping.

Wonderful! I'm so pleased to see you start afresh - your logs are always such an education in design and craftsmanship. 

Can I ask, Chuck, how do you find the laser cut parts fit in comparison to those cut the traditional way? I used laser cut parts a lot on my Terror model, but not for the stem/Keel/stern as the "v" shape of the laser cut created gaps when I assembled the pieces. Perhaps it isn't as apparent at the scale you are working with?

Wonderful work as always!

Edited by Erebus and Terror

You have to plan for that...there are no gaps.  You need to strategically flip some pieces when being cut so the angles match almost perfectly.  For the stem parts I was able to flip some parts so the angles are nice and tight.  You can see that I built the stem in two sections so that after assembly I did tweak the long curved edge so the seam was nice and tight but the individual elements went together better than if I cut them and tweaked them by hand.

I do this to all of the parts and for the life of me I dont know why all kit MFGs dont do this.  Note how the letters on the center section of bulkheads are on the other side....that was flipped when cutting so the joint fit perfectly without any need to sand them at all.  The parts of the stem with the X's on them were also flipped on my file when laser cutting them.

_DSC8270.jpg

stemflip.jpg

What do you think of using scribed decks for Winchelsea instead of individual strips?  I know that it can look much better from viewing Myron Van Ness's models at the Laguna Festival of Arts in the 1990's.  I know Bluejacket offers scribed decks but I don't know who else does.

EA     (CWG)

Edited by CWG
punctuation

No ...there will be no scribed or etched planks for me.  There is nothing like planking with individual plans when its done with care.  That is a shortcut that I will never take.

Thanks Druxey!!!! ;)

Great hint there chuck. That did occur to me, but I thought it was too much trouble for the result. Now that I know it does work, I will definitely try it!  Now if I can only get the kerf worked out on the machine at the library. It seems to be different every single time I use it (likely due to misaligned optics, I'm guessing). 

I agree....with regard to the laser cutter it is the alignment of the optics but also how clean they are.  A dirty/scratched lens and mirrors will also hurt the overall effect.  It is great that they have one though....very nice resource.  I just ordered a bunch of parts for mine because I have been lucky over the last four years.  Its only now showing signs of needing some TLC.  I just ordered a new laser tube, lens and power supply among a few other things.  $1700......but its well worth it.  I am all thumbs with this electronic/electric wiring stuff though, so I am very nervous about doing the revamp.  Should be running as good as new when its fixed up.  But I have to look for someone who can assist me with it who knows their way around a machine like this.  I have a few engineers and electronics guys in mind...but they dont know I just volunteered them for duty yet.:P

Chuck,  I think the reason for why the other "guys" don't flip to fit parts is that they never thought of it, or somehow tied into time and money.... not sure.

On the laser rebuild... do it one step at a time and test/re-test before the next bit.  I'd do the power supply first, the mirrors and then the tube.  Take photos of the wiring and check then check again that the wiring matches.  I found that if I aligned mirrors as I changed them out (one at a time) when I did the tube, there was minimal fiddling.  It's a PITA to be sure but taking time, going slow and douible even triple checking pays off.

Oh... don't try to splice the high voltage led (red) to the tube.  If you must connect... solder the leads and lots of heat shrink insulation.  Try to do that part in a place in the chassis where the joint is well away from any metal.    Don't ask how I know... it still pains me to remember.

My laser cutter brand has improved this model several times over the last few years.  They have made it so the wires coming from the power source are easy to connect to the tube now.....I will send you a pm with a link to a video.  Its the only reason why I am changing the power source because the wires are a pain in the butt to connect to the tube.  But now there is no soldering needed at all....or at least there wont be if I can run the new wiring.

Chuck

Good afternoon Mr. Passaro, I just discovered this thread, I wanted to ask about the plans of the HMS WINCHELSEA, for which we are from other countries, we will have possibilities to buy them, alone, without the kit ?? The freight cost would be overwhelming, I wish there was an alternative It is a splendid ship.

Nope....you will always need to buy at least the starter package and the plans will NOT have any drawings for the bulkheads and other parts.  This is being done to prevent folks from stealing the design and pirating the project.  You wont need those templates on the plans because you will have the laser cut parts.  It also prevents people from posting the plans on their websites and forums as a download which is unfortunately all too common.   It has happened with my Cheerful and I only need that to happen once before I find a way to prevent it.

Chuck

4 hours ago, Chuck said:

No ... siempre deberá comprar al menos el paquete de inicio y los planes NO tendrán ningún dibujo para los mamparos y otras partes. Esto se está haciendo para evitar que la gente robe el diseño y piratee el proyecto. No necesitará esas plantillas en los planos porque tendrá las piezas cortadas con láser. También evita que las personas publiquen los planes en sus sitios web y foros como una descarga, que desafortunadamente es muy común. Ha sucedido con mi Alegre y solo necesito que eso suceda una vez antes de encontrar una manera de evitarlo.

Arrojar

Una triste noticia para quienes vivimos tan lejos...

4 hours ago, Chuck said:

Nope....you will always need to buy at least the starter package and the plans will NOT have any drawings for the bulkheads and other parts.  This is being done to prevent folks from stealing the design and pirating the project.  You wont need those templates on the plans because you will have the laser cut parts.  It also prevents people from posting the plans on their websites and forums as a download which is unfortunately all too common.   It has happened with my Cheerful and I only need that to happen once before I find a way to prevent it.

Chuck

A sad news for those of us who live so far away and we will not be able to buy the kit ... Undoubtedly, a sad news.