How To Make Mini Cutting Machine Cut Popsicle Sticks

Not long ago I ask how to cut a piece of 30mm X 4mm X 4mm into four equal parts and received many great ideas.

Just now I found a video on YouTube "How To Make Mini Cutting Machine Cut Popsicle Sticks". I haven't made one but I admire the creative thoughts of some people.

I have downloaded this and hopefully I can upload it here.

RussR

How To Make Mini Cutting Machine Cut Popsicle Sticks.webm

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

4 minutes ago, miloman said:

Do you know what type of motor was used and the power source. I'm a real neophyte at this....Allan

Sorry I don't. I just saw the video and though it may be of interest to others. May be someone else here would have some suggestions.

RussR

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

Something like this:

12V Motor on Amazon

Power supply

Just search for 12v DC motor..

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

31 minutes ago, Gregory said:

Something like this:

12V Motor on Amazon

Power supply

Just search for 12v DC motor..

Gregory,

Thanks for the info. So it would cost about $20.00 plus some styren or wood and a couple of connectors and a switch. One might even run it on eight D-cells if you didn't plan on using it much.

Edited by RussR
Corrected the post.

I think I would put together a little more robust table than what we see in the video.  Maybe using 1/4" plywood.

—MICHAEL ROSE

I think I would look into hobby supply motors designed for either model aircraft or cars. Preferably one with high torque abilities. Same for the power supply. I don't think 24 watts would quite be up to the job. You could also get quite a lot of work done just using battery packs. Keep a spair pack handy and you could be quick charging one set while using the other.

I also agree that making a proper table/base would make a much more useful tool even though a 1/4" table might be a little thick considering the small diameter of the blade.

I wonder just how refined one could make something like this for use in small stock cutting jobs and ripping planks from wider stock?

Lou  

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Once you start talking about ripping and such, then you need a fence, and a miter gauge, etc.  You can quickly go beyond what

seems to be the scope of the original project.  Also the cost would go up accordingly.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Hello Gregory

A fence could just be another Popsicle stick cut to length and taped in place. A miter guide could almost be as simple even though I suppose you would need to cut a groove in the table and design a way to set the angle of the guide, all in miniature. I admit the higher cost of the higher quality motor and power source could run the cost up some but the rest of the build could be made from a sheet or two of 1/8" ply. About $6 per sheet at JOANNs for a 12' X 24". Kind of like a working model of a table saw.

Another way would be to use a Dremel flexible  shaft extension instead of the motor/power supply.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extension-Cord-Flexible-Shaft-for-Rotary-Grinder-Tool-Dremel-Polishing-Chuck-/201654140221?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Almost all of us already have a rotary tool of some type laying about and the extension would run you less than $8. Doing it that way would also make the mounting easier and less costly as it would just be a matter of of chucking it up and turning it on. If you also made it hinge mounted you could then adjust the height and by changing the saw blade for a sanding wheel could also plane the wood thickness.

Yes, all of these modifications have made a departure from the quick hot melt glue and scrap plastic approach, but for about the same cost but why build a somewhat useless toy when with a little more care and work you could possibly end up with something very usable for this hobby?

Lou 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Thanks, Gregory and Lou, for those great ideas.

What was suggested so far I think is doable.

I think that the author of the video's intent was what he built with only what was handy.

Kind of like a "MaGyver Project".

Russ