Chebec Eagle of Algier 1753 (short EOA) by Mirabell61 - 1:48 - Nils Langemann - Finished

Introduction:

One of the ship types that I`m interested in is the Chebec design. As a model I did`nt want to get it too complicated and too much detailed like for instance the build of the "Le Requin" Chebec would be. So the choise fell on a scratch build model after a basic Amati plan 1:60,  that would be enlarged by 25% to scale 1:48, resulting in a new total length of 900 mm.

To give the child / project a name, the ship will be "Eagle of Algier", and representing a (fictive) one one of those Mediteranian, North African fast trade- and pirate- Chebecs of the African Barbary coast around mid 18th century. It would have been "Falcon of Algier", if I were able to find a suitable falcon head for using as an appropriate figure head.

The ships boat will be a 27 Ft longboat / pinnace after F.H. Chapmans Chart PIXLI figure #14 (Architectura Navalis Mercatoria), scaled to 1:48

With this build I´ll be experimenting with the stand up mode of keel and bulkheads, positioned by a jig fixture, from which the framework can easily be removed afterwards.

Usualy I build my models in keel up position.

Because the "frames" will become quite fragile, due to thin sizes, I choose 5,2 mm thick ply for the bulkheads, but with 8 layers, (the delivered ply had even 10 layers !) to provide the required strength.

The bulkheads will be cut out to resemble frames, and the deck beams will be temporarily cut away in order to fit out the interior hull, then replacing the deck beams again afterwards. It is intended to do 1 layer planking of the hull outside shell only.

Enjoy...

Nils

DSCI5519.thumb.JPG.364509a4e883fa6636ac6ae328197ff9.JPG

already enlarged Amati plan by 25%

DSCI5693.thumb.JPG.1e6e07f98b68033cd8271e100271282b.JPG

A building instruction with sequential pics, comes along in Italian / English with the plan

DSCI5521.thumb.JPG.67110dce6972298293511d5ee5832902.JPG

little paint can for scaling...

DSCI5523.thumb.JPG.e4d804534912800a87d4c9741c2215af.JPG

DSCI5681.thumb.JPG.3432c68e156de5088ae0e94b073237fd.JPG

the name giving figure head (metal diecast)

DSCI5682.thumb.JPG.96374764fe92158543fae32b5567cd60.JPG

cutting out of the paper bulkheads for further treatment

DSCI5685.thumb.JPG.2b0912088bbdd5039cc93aa98fa80abd.JPG

beginning the positioning gig for keel and bulkheads

DSCI5688.thumb.JPG.fc27285c702df810465f1180e8300aa6.JPG

DSCI5690.thumb.JPG.5d28ae9b42d8db0dac8d63f0397cad8b.JPG

fixture progress...

DSCI5695.thumb.JPG.0a6765b43d0912a102394008cc8cbe6a.JPG

ships boat (may be subject to slight modification, to suit needs)

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Have a seat Chris,

you`re very welcome...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

I'm taking a seat in the front row too, Nils - always instructional to follow your builds.

Edited by gjdale

Hi Grant,

nice to have you joining in, enjoy....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

I trust that there is an open chair in the front row.  I have always been interested in ship types that are not the usual British, American and European line of battle ships.  This should be a very fascinating build.  The lateen rig is one that I know very little about.  Looking forward with great anticipation to learning new things and watching your talented construction techniques. 

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Thank you very much Bob and Patrick,

you are welcome to accompany this build from begin onwards....

Thought it should be something smaller than the KWdG and a bit more relaxing to do this time..

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Dan,

I think we`re in the same alley there, having interest also in ships of other nations and cultures.....

I have in mind also do tackle it doing a Chinese trade- junk around 1930 or so, when the Chebec is completed

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Sounds like all the seats are taken so I. Will just look over the shoulders of others. I will be interested in seeing how you will handle the decorations, since I plan to build the Victory down the road and still have a great deal to learn.:cheers:

Ken

Current build: Maersk Detroit"
Future builds:  Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90
Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

Hi Ken,

Thanks for joining aboard...

unfortunately I did`nt do any special preperations for the decorations by now.

I have though been looking and found semi- material for decorations for the gunports (outer bulwarks), and for the brass balustrades of the aft high deck.

Usualy I search the web, if there are any halfway simular items I can use (as is) or with slight changes and modifications, taking the scale required into account.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils.

Another interesting build you have on the way.

9 hours ago, Mirabell61 said:

I choose 5,2 mm thick ply for the bulkheads, but with 8 layers, to provide the required

8 ply... That's a rare find.  Very nice to work with and very strong.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Will follow along with the usual fascination Nils, interesting subject and can't wait to see how she comes together.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Nice! Pulling a chair. :)

Jean-Philippe (JP)

Current build: SyrenRattlesnake (Scratch built)

:dancetl6:Please visit and subscribe to my YouTube Channel

On Hold: MayflowerHMS Victory Cross Section
Completed:   Armed Virginia Sloop, Viking ship,  The Flyer, Pilot BoatKrabbenkutterMarie-JeanneSloup, The Smasher

Many thanks to Antony, Jason,Jean-Philippe, Ian and Kurt,

for looking in and for your nice comments....

Antony,

I found the 8-layer ply (aeroply) on Ebay, and have gained good results with it for thin structures. I used it as well on the frame work of my Pegasus build some years ago..

Jason,

welcome to the round,

glad you joined in..., I`m also looking forward to see if the hand jigsaw cut  bulkheads / frames will be straking properly, and the first time used positioning fixture will be worth the upfront effort...

Jean-Philippe,

nice to welcome you as well, take a seat please..and enjoy

Kurt,

I also very much lked the lines of this ship type, hoping to transfer the impression to a certain degree into this scratch build 

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils

If you allow I'll be standing timidly in a back row to watch a master at work.;)

I love the chebec - another very elegant ship!

Cheers

Peter

Peter,

I`m very pleased to welcome you to the Chebec. In the moment there is still a good drive at it, an looks like the fixture works well...

Build log part 2

setting up the frames /bulkheads with the keel. Unfortunately the outside contour straking can first be checked when the whole framework later on is removed from the fixture. But there will have to be fairing done anyhow. Perhaps I will add a minimum of stringers as well, in order to ease the planking later.

Nils

DSCI5697.thumb.JPG.cc91eb7967268b70b722b1cec536e3e9.JPG

Keel is in place (not to be glued in)

DSCI5699.thumb.JPG.66012b371d3868a3abee8682d8bb44d3.JPG

glueing the paper bulkheads to the ply. The paper will be scraped off afterwards

DSCI5701.thumb.JPG.3bc05f49a7147e58dd88ee098ccadf79.JPG

DSCI5704.thumb.JPG.db632abd1211a54419cf68d6f1c451f4.JPG

8 layer ply was ordered but really came 10 layer, total 5,2 mm thick

DSCI5708.thumb.JPG.8d3517ab35ba3e5954e437319199966e.JPG

up to now all is fitting well (in dry fit)

DSCI5706.JPG

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thanks Patrick,

lets see how it works out...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Update

Today the ordering customer drops in at the shipyard to see the progress of his "baby", accompanied by his two sons

Nils

DSCI5711.thumb.JPG.71291d62dad7057f592ee254ed9ce7fc.JPG

four frames still missing....

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nice to have you on board Don,

enjoy...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils,

I'm looking following your excellent craftsmanship and I'm sure I'll learn more than a thing or two.

Best,

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Looks great Nils

I'm following

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanks for looking in John and Patrick,

am pleased you like the build...

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

I see your off on another great build Nils!   I'll pull up a chair somewhere.......super start so far! ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for the compliment Denis,

stay tuned...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed