Dan Vadas

Bismarck by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - GPM - 1:200 - CARD and PE

Hi all,

I've done some preparations for my latest Card Kit, the famous (infamous? ;)) German WW2 Battleship "Bismarck". The "Kit" is published by GPM in Poland.

My first impressions are that the printing is not quite up to the standard of my IJN Amatsukaze (Halinski), but still quite good. Halinski's models have a more pronounced "weathering" and texturing, widely regarded as one of the best available. The Instructions are once again in Polish, so Google Translate will be getting another workout :D.

As with the Halinski kit there is nothing to indicate on which of the 25 Parts Sheets any of the parts are, so again I've spent a full day filling out a Data-sorted Spreadsheet to enable a quick find of them. This idea worked brilliantly on Amatsukaze, and is well worth the effort :) :

IMG_4149.JPG

IMG_4150.JPG

I bought this kit from Pav (maaaslo) - he'd bought it a while ago from GPM but didn't think he'd ever start it. Along with the kit came the Laser Cut frames, a real timesaver :). Unfortunately, there was a page missing. No big deal, as one side of the page was merely an Advert for other kits, but all the Instructions were on the reverse side. Luckily, Slog sent me a translation of the missing page, so all's well :).

I also have all (or at least most of) the extra Laser Cut Detail sets, a big stack of PE for the other details, and the full compliment of turned Gun Barrels.

:cheers:  Danny

Welcome to the build Grant, Slog, Chris and Popeye :).

I've made a start to the actual build - wow, she's gonna be BIG :). Gotta love those laser-cut frames, they've probably saved a week's work all up. These are only the lower frames, there are just as many or more above the waterline.

I bought the table it's sitting on just for this build - my workbench isn't really big enough :D.

Lower Hull Frames (1).JPG

Lower Hull Frames (2).JPG

Lower Hull Frames (3).JPG

And a comparison with Amatsukaze - they are both 1:200 scale :

Comparison to Amatsukaze.JPG

I think I'll come back in three weeks when you're finished :)

Thats a serious amount of cardboard on your workbench! If your frames  are as thin as mine, you will definitely need some time to get some additional strips to thicken them up.

Jan

Edited by amateur

Thanks for joining in guys, and also for the Birthday wishes :).

4 hours ago, vossy said:

are these card models just plain old cardboard? they look like thin wood?

Yep, yellowy coloured Cardboard for the frames - 1mm thick.

2 hours ago, amateur said:

you will definitely need some time to get some additional strips to thicken them up.

Jan, I got a nice surprise when I had a look at the laser-cut sheets. There are additional strips already the right shape to be glued to the edges of the waterline "deck" to which the upper and lower skins are glued together (just like the ones I advised you to make ;)). I'll be gluing extra card to both sides of each bulkhead as well, and also adding longitudinal stringers between the bulkheads. This time I won't be gluing the skins to the stringers though - I think some of the skins on Amatsukaze were pulled in by the glue. They'll just be there to avoid any accidental crushing of the skins.

Count me in too... This paper modeling is definitely a different critter than plastic or wood.   

Oh... and happy birthday, Danny.   big-cake.gif.f8bcff0b31b9ca3dccdfc03535fe286e.gif

Edited by mtaylor

Yes Bismarck is coming into the house! 

Usual good start, nothing to complain about. Did you think about your next project? Yamato? Shall i look out for one?

btw, belated happy birthday. Did you have a cold one?

Edited by maaaslo
Word order changed

24 minutes ago, maaaslo said:

your only option is Halinski then

That was my plan - I really liked the other Halinski kit.

22 minutes ago, maaaslo said:

btw you could do Prinz eugen too...

Whoa - I'm already 64 years old. One at a time :D.

5 hours ago, cog said:

A pity I could only find you a paper version of the  Yamato in 1:250 else it would have been a nice companion to both ...

Carl ..... I found a Yamato 1:200 :D. I noticed that it's currently available too. Hmmmm ....... ;)

I've spent two days adding extra pieces of 0.5mm card to the bulkheads to thicken them up a bit, and also adding longitudinal stringers from 1mm card to stiffen the bulkheads prior to Fairing (I haven't started that yet). I used the leftovers from the bulkhead sheets as a template to draw the shapes of each bulkhead to the extra card :

Extra Framing (2).JPG

Extra Framing (3).JPG

Extra Framing (1).JPG

Dan, My Polish friend will be going to visit her mum in Poland next month. If you want me to i can place an order...i will be ordering something for myself, so no probs if you do t want anything...

On 20/09/2017 at 2:34 PM, cog said:

So you are tellin' us you're old :huh: ????

A pitty I could only find you a paper version of the  Yamato in 1:250 else it would have been a nice companion to both ...

I dont know why, but i kind of dislike Digital Navy. I know they did put a lot of work into their models, but still prefer the printed versions done by polish companies...

2 hours ago, maaaslo said:

Dan, My Polish friend will be going to visit her mum in Poland next month. If you want me to i can place an order...i will be ordering something for myself, so no probs if you do t want anything...

Thanks Pav, I'll let you know if I do.

I kind of dislike Digital Navy. I know they did put a lot of work into their models, but still prefer the printed versions done by polish companies...

I'm not overly fussed by the model they show on their website. It looks half-finished, no railings for starters. The black lines look very stark also.