Bismarck by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - GPM - 1:200 - CARD and PE

Thanks John and Popeye.

After adding the previous details I decided I may as well do the rest of the deck sides. I've added the Piping, using 0.3mm nickel-silver wire. I'm thinking of leaving it as-is rather than painting it.

I'll also add hatch covers when I can get my printer to work, I've already copied all the covers from a scan of the parts sheet :

Pipes.JPG

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

4 hours ago, amateur said:

Does your scan/print sequence result in acceptable colours? Last time I needed such an action, it took me several tries to get the colour right ....

Jan

I don't know yet Jan. The black cartridge in my old printer no longer works, so I'm going to use another printer we had lying around. Unfortunately it's out of ink at the moment so I have to wait for the postman :(. I'll find out in a couple of days.

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

I've built the Forward 3rd Deck. This went together well, though there is a slight mistake in one small area - it's going to be difficult to spot later on when other items are fitted, so I'll leave it :

3rd Deck Forward (7).JPG

3rd Deck Forward (6).JPG

3rd Deck Forward (4).JPG

I've glued the 3rd deck to the 2nd deck. The mistake referred to earlier can be seen below, where the two decks don't align properly in the black area. A bit of paint will fix it :) :

3rd Deck Forward (3).JPG

The balustrade at the forward end of the deck was difficult (I had to re-do it twice), mainly due to no instructions on how it went together. This is a recurring theme of this kit :angry: :

3rd Deck Forward (2).JPG

3rd Deck Forward (1).JPG

Cheers, Danny

3 hours ago, semorebutts said:

That looks great!  We are at the same point on our bismarcks!

You're miles in front of me Scott :D.

Cheers, Danny

Outstanding build.  You have a good grasp of what card modeling is, a big puzzle that you not only have to make the pieces and then assemble the puzzle!  Really like what you have done.  I also have a DKM started,

but have done very little other than lower frame.  It too is a GPM kit.

Rick

are you gonna touch the area up with a wood color or blend it in with black and gray......it it like that on both sides?   super progress Danny!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Rick and popeye.

45 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

are you gonna touch the area up with a wood color or blend it in with black and gray......it it like that on both sides?

That area's actually all Black, and it's the same on both sides. Now that I've painted it there's no longer a problem - it looks like a small step-in, and as if it's supposed to be like that ;):). BTW - "Black" isn't just black. It's a mix of 40% white, 50% black and 10% yellow ochre.

A while ago I mixed up some Wood colour for a few small touch-ups on the main deck and it came out really well - you can't see them at all now. Instead of just attempting to do it with one colour I mixed it "as I went", starting off with the lightest coloured plank and adding a touch more Burnt Umber/Yellow Ochre for each following plank.

Cheers, Danny

Thanks again Carl, Greg and John :).

There are two structures either side of the funnel, I have no idea what they are for. EDIT - Thanks to Slog for telling me they are the Hangars for Aircraft (must be broken down?) :).

I added lots of card to the poorly designed framing for them. One wall on each is not vertical, rather on an angle, and the roofs of both also aren't symmetrical :

Boat Rack Houses (1).JPG

Boat Rack Houses (2).JPG

On these structures are three Racks for some of the ship's boats. Cutting and gluing these pieces has taken me the best part of two days. Virtually every piece is a different shape, so keeping track of what went where was tricky :

Boat Racks (10).JPG

Boat Racks (9).JPG

Boat Racks (8).JPG

Some of the brackets had rounded internal corners, so I once again used my punch set for them :Boat Racks (5).JPG

The racks assembled and glued to the hangars. There is still some paint touch-up needed on the joins and folds :

Boat Racks (4).JPG

Boat Racks (3).JPG

Boat Racks (2).JPG

Boat Racks (1).JPG

Cheers, Danny

35 minutes ago, Dan Vadas said:

There are two structures either side of the funnel, I have no idea what they are for. 

"houses" :

They would be the aircraft hangers.

Nice progress the boat supports have come out well.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Looking good, Dan. I would have expected the "hanging" support to have it's two outer supports higher than the inner two ... Astonishing to realise how much time some simple looking supports need to cut and put together!

Sometimes I use a round cutter/drill in straight edged corners too to give me some leeway with the knife/saw.

Never would have thought of that Slog.

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

accurate and good looking work Danny...,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

holly molly Danny........they are so skillfully done!   very nice.........you really risen to this medium very fast  ;) 

"this is my razor.........there are other's like it, but this one is MINE!!!"  :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks all :).

There are 25 Life Rings shown in the 3D Bismarck book. Only two are with the kit, so I printed up a heap more and glued them to 0.5mm card. There are two sizes, the smaller ones are fitted to some of the ship's boats. I used my punch set to make these, it only took about 15 minutes, and I'd hate to think how long it would have taken to cut them by hand :) :

Life Rings (2).JPG

Life Rings (1).JPG

The forward section of the 3rd deck has an angled edging on the bulwark, similar to the one I made earlier. This one was a bit more complex, but it turned out a lot better than the first one - no filler at all needed, and the only paint touchup will be on the edges :

Edging (4).JPG

Edging (3).JPG

Edging (2).JPG

Edging (1).JPG

Cheers, Danny

5 hours ago, cog said:

Nice work, Dan, how did you cut out the ring itself, what I see the punch doesn't meet that circumference ...

The punch set was exactly the right size - just. Inside diameter of the larger ones is 2.4mm, outside is 4.5mm, the largest punch in the set. The smaller ones are 2mm x 3.8mm.

Cheers, Danny

The Funnel was a fun bit of work :). All up it's taken me 3 days to get to this stage. The framework supplied in the kit needed a few extra pieces, but not many. I hadn't added any when I took the pic below :

Funnel (9).JPG

Funnel (8).JPG

The funnel is in two sections. I forgot to take any pics during construction of the top section :(.

Funnel (5).JPG

A little bit of filler was needed on the joins. Here are a couple of pics before painting :

Funnel (4).JPG

Funnel (3).JPG

And after painting. The colour match was pretty good, no clear has been applied yet. The pics don't do it justice, as I couldn't stop the glare from the worklights making the "toe" look like it's too lightly coloured :

Funnel (1).JPG

Funnel (2).JPG

Cheers, Danny

Thank you Carl and John :).

This doesn't look like much of an update, but these tiny pipes took me a full day to cut, roll and fit :

Funnel (6).JPG

Funnel.JPG

Cheers, Danny

Amazing work danny  really really good,  its just amazing that card can prove to be so sturdy for model making.:)

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Great detail Danny, that funnel is looking really good.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks guys :).

Finishing off the top of the funnel involved scratch-building some Baffles, which weren't even mentioned in the kit :angry:, and also the "Grating" at the top. The grating took some very careful cutting. I re-inforced it with a wipe of CA on it's under side after I'd cut it out :

Funnel (7).JPG

Funnel (11).JPG

Funnel (10).JPG

Cheers, Danny

fantastic job Danny......are you going to add any P.E. to it?  looks very well done  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: