Bismarck by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - GPM - 1:200 - CARD and PE

2 hours ago, ragove said:

Dan, what do you use for filler?

Testor's Plastic Filler, which is a very fine type of filler. It's not very easy to work with though, I'm open to suggestions for something else.

2 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

fantastic job Danny......are you going to add any P.E. to it?  looks very well done  :) 

I will if I have any in the stuff that I bought - I haven't checked it out yet. There will be wire footrails and pipes, similar to those on Amatsukaze.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Surrounding the funnel are two Platforms. Straight-foward enough to make :

Funnel Platform (5).JPG

There are a number of gussets beneath the platforms :

Funnel Platform (7).JPG

Funnel Platform (6).JPG

A railing is fitted to the edge of the platform. The PE railing I have doesn't have a "kickboard" which saved me having to cut it off. I drilled 0.3mm holes for each stanchion using a tungsten drill by simply turning the drill bit by hand, which gives me more accuracy than trying to use one of my powered drills. I was a bit "sus" about these drills until I actually started using them - they are excellent :). So far I've only managed to break ONE, and that was only due to not supporting the piece properly :

Funnel Platform (2).JPG

Funnel Platform (1).JPG

Funnel Platform.JPG

Beneath the aft platform is another, which also has two Cranes for moving the ship's boats at the aft end of the funnel. I drilled out the holes in the gussets, the smallest is 0.4mm :

Funnel Platform (4).JPG

Funnel Platform (3).JPG

Finally, the two cranes. The "U" shaped section is PE, I really don't know why the two trusses weren't also supplied with the PE set - they were fairly difficult to cut from double-thickness paper :

Crane 1.JPG

Crane 1 (2).JPG

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Hi Danny,   will you be painting her when she is finished?

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

11 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Hi Danny,   will you be painting her when she is finished?

OC.

No. If I was going to paint him I'd be nearly finished by now :D. That's why I'm doing all the touch-ups as I go, shouldn't need any extra painting (apart from the PE of course).

10 hours ago, cog said:

Just one :wacko: I broke three, but my hull was/is resin, does that give me any credits when I buy a new set!?!?

I guess resin would tend to "grab" the drill a lot more than paper does.

Cheers, Danny

cranes came out nice ;)   the 'D' effect will certainly be there......1D, 2D, 3D...the detail is so good on these paper models.   your doing a superb job of bringing the detail out  :)    

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks again Popeye :).

There are two 20mm Guns on the aft funnel platform, so I thought I'd have a go at making them. These are the smallest guns on the ship, so if they came out OK the rest of them should (theoretically :D) be easier. They are also the smallest guns I've ever made - the barrels are 9mm long, to give you some idea of the size. Here's the PE card of them all, there are 12 guns in total, and each has 34 parts :

20mm Guns (5).JPG

I started by rolling the support base into a cone and CA gluing it to the base :

20mm Guns (4).JPG

Next is a rack to hold four spare magazines. Each magazine is made from 3 pieces, and there is a triangular divider between each of them :

20mm Guns (3).JPG

I didn't take any more pics of further sub-assemblies until I'd finished them. Some of the pieces were a bit tricky to get right, but they didn't turn out too bad. The Breech comes in 5 pieces to make up the thickness, the 3 middle ones have a scallop in them to accept the barrel. The barrel itself came with the set of CNC lathe-turned barrels. It's amazing how small and accurate they can make things like that these days :) :

20mm Guns (2).JPG

20mm Guns (9).JPG

20mm Guns (8).JPG

Here's a pic to give a sense of scale. The Australian 5c coin is 19mm in diameter :

20mm Guns (1).JPG

There is a spent cartridge collector basket which is supposed to be fitted to the side opposite the magazine. I found out I'd actually fitted the stock and barrel back-to-front, so I can't fit the basket to these two guns. Something to watch out for on the rest of them :rolleyes: :

20mm Guns (6).JPG

Here's one of the guns after painting - quite acceptable, and further ones should turn out even better as I've worked out a few tricks on how to work with the PE :

20mm Guns (7).JPG

Cheers, Danny

Nice work especially at that scale Danny.  You must have a 'surgeons' hands :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Awesome detail Doc!

Cheers Fernando :cheers:

Current Builds - Colonial Brig Perseverance 1807 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - 1:48 scale

Previous Builds - 

S Lucia by Fernando E - Panart - Scale 1:30

Sloop Norfolk 1798 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - Scale 1:36 

1 hour ago, BANYAN said:

Nice work especially at that scale Danny.  You must have a 'surgeons' hands :)

cheers Pat

I wish I had a surgeons EYES :huh:. Thanks John, Pat and Fernando.

Cheers, Danny

Very nice work Danny.

Just an observation, but I think the barrels may need to slide further back into the breech block up to the collar.  They do look overally long as is and I haven't seen similar 20mm caliber barrels with a such a collar away out by itself before. 

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

5 hours ago, Dan Vadas said:

wish I had a surgeons EYES

When you find them, let me know where I can get a pair!!! Now Slog mentionned it, I wondered what that ridge/ring was for ... but the difference in scale = 1/200 vs my plastic 1/350 - put me off too ... so much more details ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

8 hours ago, Captain Slog said:

Just an observation, but I think the barrels may need to slide further back into the breech block up to the collar.

Slog, the barrels are right to the end of the "scallops" in the middle of the breech block, which I assumed was correct. To get them in any further I'd have to take a bit off the end of the barrel. That's not a problem, but I'll check the dimensions which are almost non-existent :rolleyes:.

EDIT - after taking another look at the barrels I found a tiny step which must have been the point at which I should have cut the end off. There's a large piece to take off anyway - this would have been the bit that was fixed into the lathe chuck, I just picked the wrong step. I won't be doing anything about the two guns I've already made, as removing the barrels would mean virtually destroying the whole lot. I can live with these two, I'll change the other 10.

Thanks for the comments guys, and also those who hit the "Like" button :).

Cheers, Danny

Hi Danny,

if it's any help the 2cm FlaK 38 (C/38 for the naval) had a 1.3 metre barrel length or L65 ( 65 x the caliber) which would give a scale length of 6.5mm.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

28 minutes ago, amateur said:

Is that total barrel lenght, or measured from the pont where it comes free of the mount?

jan

I am not sure but if the manufacturer did there home Work then I am guessing from the muzzle to the collar should be in the region of 6.5mm or so. There appears to be quite a bit of extra length behind the collar. If I remember correctly I had the same photo etch fret and the little diagram should state the length of wire to cut a barrel from (or have a line drawn to measure)

Cheers

Slog

"There appears to be quite a bit of extra length behind the collar." On my plastic build I had to take some lengths off the brass turrets too (nearly 2 cm!) so that doesn't make me wonder

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Thanks for the info Slog, and the comments from the rest of the guys.

The Searchlights on the forward end of the funnel have a protective dome over them which is lowered beneath the platform when they are in use. Here's a pic of the parts for one of them rolled and ready to glue up :

Searchlight Covers (1).JPG

These things take on a mind of their own when trying to glue them together, so I made a little jig to hold them steady and at the correct width :

Searchlight Covers (5).JPG

Searchlight Covers (4).JPG

One of the dome supports fitted to the port side :

Searchlight Covers (3).JPG

Searchlight Covers (2).JPG

I'm going to have one dome open and the other closed, so I only need to make one Searchlight. Here are the laser-cut parts for two of them :

Searchlights (8).JPG

The fit of the laser-cut parts is excellent. Working out the sequence and fit was a bit challenging, there is a plan for them but the line drawing is a bit vague in some places. I managed to get the first light looking something like it should :). The mesh grille over the lens is from the PE set :

Searchlights (7).JPG

Searchlights (6).JPG

Here are the rest of the pieces glued up and ready to assemble into the finished article :

Searchlights (5).JPG

The finished light before painting. I sprayed it a dark gray after these pics were taken :

Searchlights (4).JPG

Searchlights (3).JPG

The light fitted in place :

Searchlights (2).JPG

Searchlights (1).JPG

I also glued on one of the cranes and fitted the PE railings around the funnel. I'll leave the other crane off for now, as it will be in the "working" position and will probably get damaged while I'm working on other things. I'll also give all the railings a straighten-up when the ship's completed, they are fairly easy to knock out of line a bit as you can see in the pic below :

Crane 1 (3).JPG

Just when I thought I had finished the funnel assembly I realised I still had two more searchlights to make for the aft platform. At least I won't be spending a couple of hours working out the assembly sequence this time :D.

Cheers, Danny

Danny after watching your build I think it takes a lot more patience and skill working with paper and the PEs than a stock wood build.

Man your getting down and dirty at such a small scale, the results are stunning. KUDOS  This Buds for you or a Boatrocker Ramjet Whiskey Barrel Aged Imperial Stout. :cheers:

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Thanks again for the kind comments Scott, John and John :).

7 hours ago, John Allen said:

after watching your build I think it takes a lot more patience and skill working with paper and the PEs than a stock wood build.

You've got that right John. Ton of fun though :D.

As I didn't take any pics of making the Searchlight Brackets and Supports I thought I'd slip a few in now to show you the steps involved in making them. The pics are in sequential order of how I make one of them, and are self-explanatory :

Searchlight Support Bracket (5).JPG

Searchlight Support Bracket (4).JPG

Searchlight Support Bracket (3).JPG

Searchlight Support Bracket (2).JPG

Final step is to glue on the top and finish off the two rounded ends. The one on the right has been done :

Searchlight Support Bracket (1).JPG

Making something like this is a lot easier on a separate block of MDF, using double-sided tape to hold a base piece to prevent movement, as I can turn it every which way instead of trying to reach over to the other side if it were fixed to my cutting board.

Cheers, Danny

Very nice work Danny; I keep forgetting how small and fiddly these parts are.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)