Bismarck by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - GPM - 1:200 - CARD and PE

Thanks for that Pav :).

The top deck of the conning tower is completed. I didn't take any progress pics of it's construction. It has a rather tricky edging around it, which is double-thickness and very narrow so it took some rather careful cutting out :

Tricky Bits (1).JPG

Another tricky part to cut out was a support for two shields (?) above the bridge. Same double-thickness stuff :

Tricky Bits (2).JPG

I also forgot to take pics of the Radar Turret during construction. These pieces were a bit of a puzzle to work out, as the miniscule drawing of them in the instructions didn't give much of a clue :

Tricky Bits (3).JPG

But I managed to work them out :

Tricky Bits (4).JPG

The 2nd of the three Radars. There are 9 pieces that make them up. Something I realised when making this one is that I'd only put less than half the pieces in the one I built before, I'll correct that tomorrow :

Forward Control Radar (5).JPG

Forward Control Radar (4).JPG

Forward Control Radar (3).JPG

The radar turret completed. Those two pieces I mentioned earlier in this post are the inboard supports for the range finder arms :

Forward Control Radar (2).JPG

Forward Control Radar (1).JPG

The antenna-like piece on top of the turret is a light tower. It's not shown at all in the kit, but I picked up on it in the 3D book. I made it from 3 pices of 0.3mm wire and a section of spare ladder :

Light Tower.JPG

And some overall views of the conning tower to where I am at the moment :

Conning Tower (4).JPG

Conning Tower (3).JPG

The light only looks like it's skewed, it's the macro lens distortion :

Conning Tower (2).JPG

Conning Tower (1).JPG

Overall pics of the forward superstructure :

Forward Superstructure Overview (3).JPG

Forward Superstructure Overview (2).JPG

Forward Superstructure Overview (1).JPG

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Stunning work Danny. Always a great joy to see where you are at as well as admire the craftsmanship.:cheers:

Cheers.........Fernando

Current Builds - Colonial Brig Perseverance 1807 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - 1:48 scale

Previous Builds - 

S Lucia by Fernando E - Panart - Scale 1:30

Sloop Norfolk 1798 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - Scale 1:36 

amazing structure Danny........the guns look awesome!   you make it look WAY to freak'in easy  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Impressive work Danny, some very well presented detail.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I know we're seeing the build, but the result sure doesn't look like "paper".   Amazing work.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you all, you're too kind (but keep it up :D).

There are four pipes that hang out at angles from the conning tower. These are made from 1.0mm brass rod, and the footwalks are supplied in the PE set :

Conning Tower Pipes (2).JPG

Conning Tower Pipes (3).JPG

I realised I'd forgotten to fit the support girders underneath the top deck before I'd glued it on. This made the task a lot more difficult with all the fragile things I'd already added making it hard to get a good hold of the tower without damaging anything else. Most of it survived intact, but I had to re-glue a piece of railing :

Conning Tower Pipes (1).JPG

I was in two minds whether to roll the masts and spars from paper or use brass tubing, but I thought I may as well give it a go - I could always revert to tubing if they turned out rubbish. I surprised myself :D. Here are some pics of the Forward Mast in progress, showing my method of construction :

Mast Rolling (5).JPG

Mast Rolling (7).JPG

Mast Rolling (4).JPG

Mast Rolling (3).JPG

The mast finished and the two tubes I used. The larger one has another plastic tube inside it with a slit cut lengthways to get the right diameter. The outer brass tube clamps the plastic tube tightly, and the thinner tube supports the inside of the paper :

Mast Rolling (6).JPG

The seam cane out almost invisible :) :

Mast Rolling (1).JPG

And I've also done the Main Mast. This one is 180mm long and 3.25mm in diameter, and it came out as straight as a gun barrel. I'm happy :) :

Mast Rolling (2).JPG

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

I spent the rest of today rolling all the Spars for the masts. These were actually harder to do than the masts, as they are only 2.0mm and 1.8mm in diameter and I had to roll them from 0.23mm card which gets pretty tight :o :

Mast Rolling.JPG

Cheers, Danny

Sure you haven't had a lot of practice rolling other things Danny? ;):)  They are very nicely finished.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

5 minutes ago, BANYAN said:

Sure you haven't had a lot of practice rolling other things Danny?

Actually Pat, yes I have. When I was 19 and rode a motorbike from Gloucester to Newcastle every weekend to see my girlfriend I perfected the art of rolling a (TOBACCO :D) smoke in the pocket of my leather jacket with my left hand and lighting it without stopping the bike :D.

Cheers, Danny

17 minutes ago, Dan Vadas said:

Actually Pat, yes I have. When I was 19 and rode a motorbike from Gloucester to Newcastle every weekend to see my girlfriend I perfected the art of rolling a (TOBACCO :D) smoke in the pocket of my leather jacket with my left hand and lighting it without stopping the bike :D.

Our rolling challenge was to do it with one hand, under the brim of our hat, while plowing with a mule. :)

19 minutes ago, CDW said:

Our rolling challenge was to do it with one hand, under the brim of our hat, while plowing with a mule.

Hmm ... I don't see much of a challenge in that. You're only doing about 3kph, whereas I was pulling 130kph on one of the worst roads in Australia at the time :D.

Cheers, Danny

1 hour ago, Dan Vadas said:

Hmm ... I don't see much of a challenge in that. You're only doing about 3kph, whereas I was pulling 130kph on one of the worst roads in Australia at the time :D.

Thout you ment UK danny   Gloucester  - Newcastle.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Anyway  -  have a great xmas to you and yours.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

4 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Thout you ment UK danny   Gloucester  - Newcastle.

OC.

Lots of our place names over here were "borrowed" from the Old Dart :). Merry Xmas to you too.

Cheers, Danny

Hello Dan,

Just checked in on your nice build. Am especially impressed by the 20mm AA. Looking at the plans they are very small.

One minor note which has nothing to do with the build. German ships are not a he. It is die (fem) Bismarck or die Prinz Eugen etc.

I know because my native tongue is German.

Henry

1 hour ago, matelot said:

One minor note which has nothing to do with the build. German ships are not a he. It is die (fem) Bismarck or die Prinz Eugen etc.

Thanks Henry :). Hmm, I wonder where I got that from - probably confused it with Russian ships which are male. I'm a little embarrassed, as I was born in Germany but came to Australia when I was 4 years old and soon forgot most of the German language :D.

EDIT - I discovered THIS DISCUSSION in a forum about Bismarck where the consensus seems to be that Bismarck (but certainly not every German warship) was referred to in the masculine gender. I must have read something similar earlier on.

Back to the build, and I've finished and installed the first mast - the easier one of the two. The other one won't go on for quite a while yet, but I've made all the bits for it.

I wish there was some way of tapering the mast and spars, there probably is but it would be very difficult due to the small diameters and it's beyond me at the moment. An alternative would have been to make them from wood (very easy :)) but I want to use as much paper in the build as possible.

Here are the pics of the mast fitted to the conning tower. There was no PE supplied for the footwalks on the spars so I made them from 0.2mm wire. The ladder is PE :

Mast Finished (2).JPG

Mast Finished (1).JPG

Cheers, Danny

Hello Dan,

Hate to drag this out. I was correct only if you're dealing with the ship's name. However, If you say the cruiser Prinz Eugen or the destroyer

Z25  in other words if you mention the shiptype and the name, the article goes by the type of ship. der Kreuzer (cruiser), der Zerstoerer

(desrtoyer) or das Schlachtschiff (battleship). then you would say das Schlachtschiff Bismarck or "it".

Sorry for stretching this out, but I didn't want to someone to come in and tell me I was wrong. I will now shut up.

Happy holydays. Henry

Merry Christmas Dan!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I've built the Aft 2nd Deck, there are only small details left to do later on. As usual I added a lot more framing, the only ones in the kit were the three central ones :

2nd Aft Deck (14).JPG

Lots of weights held the deck piece to the framing while the glue dried :

2nd Aft Deck (12).JPG

Next the walls were glued on, and the detailing added - shutters, life rings and a small conduit made from 0.2mm wire :

2nd Aft Deck (11).JPG

2nd Aft Deck (10).JPG

2nd Aft Deck (9).JPG

There's also a conduit either side of the range finder column. I made this from 0.2mm soft brass wire and painted it :

2nd Aft Deck (8).JPG

Last for now I fitted two bulwarks and the railing. Paint touchups to the railing will be done later on :

2nd Aft Deck (2).JPG

2nd Aft Deck (3).JPG

Cheers, Danny

the conduit you put on there....is that printed detail on the paper parts?   very nice work there  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

1 hour ago, popeye the sailor said:

the conduit you put on there....is that printed detail on the paper parts?   very nice work there  ;) 

Yep, just a line over which I CA glue the wire. Sometimes I find more conduits in the 3D book and add them as well.

Cheers, Danny

Very nice work danny,   I was thinking the other day - "how can that card be strong enough for all that PE"   but it struck me with pe not being very heavy it wouldn't be a problem.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

6 hours ago, amateur said:

And a neatly folded cardbox is surprisingly strong: see how much weight Danny put o on that deck.

Jan

Very true Jan. That's about 2kg, I have no doubt it would have held more than twice that amount without a problem.

Cheers, Danny

The next sub-assembly to make was the Large Hangar. I added a LOT of extra framing - the kit framing would have been virtually useless on it's own :

Large Hangar (1).JPG

The whole design of the hangar was awful. Why they designed it to have two joins right at the top is beyond me, a much better alternative would have been to have the two side walls and roof in one piece with the front and back walls as separate pieces. Corner joins are relatively easy. Despite that it still came out well :

Large Hangar.JPG

Attached to each side wall are two louvred boxes and two plain ones. First thing was to fold up the boxes. Some of the pics below are of the four plain ones, but the louvred boxes were made using the same method.

First I used my PE pliers to fold the sides and top of the box. I overbent each one, this prevents a lot of "spring-back" when gluing :

Small Boxes (1).JPG

Small Boxes (4).JPG

Next I cut a backing piece for each box from 0.5mm card the exact size of the inside of the back of the box. These were stuck to my MDF block with double-sided tape. One side was glued to the base and allowed to dry before the other side was glued :

Small Boxes (3).JPG

Then the top was glued down :

Small Boxes (2).JPG

The louvres take a while to fit. First they were all cut and edge-coloured. Next I applied a thin bead of PVA using my squeeze bottle :

Louvres (1).JPG

The bead of glue is till too large, so I "shaped" it using a small paintbrush until I had the right amount (less is better than too much) :

Louvres (7).JPG

Each louvre was placed in position using tweezers :Louvres (4).JPG

Most of them fell into place without further adjustment, but some needed re-aligning using a toothpick :

Louvres (3).JPG

The two larger boxes finished. The smaller ones weren't much harder too make, but I had to use the toothpick on most of them :

Louvres (2).JPG

Cheers, Danny