Bismarck by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - GPM - 1:200 - CARD and PE

truly nice work Danny :)    mistakes are human........how we fix 'em is our redeeming factor ;)    really like the joinery of the antenna.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks again Popeye.

Construction of the Aft 3rd Deck is similar to all the others. The Bulwark in the middle of it took some fun folding :

Aft 3rd Deck (2).JPG

I started fitting it by gluing on the shallow curved central section :

Aft 3rd Deck (3).JPG

To get the tight corners to sit flush I used a couple of heavy brass weights :

Aft 3rd Deck (4).JPG

Supporting the two end sections so they were in line with each other :

Aft 3rd Deck (5).JPG

The bulwark fitted and edge painted :

Aft 3rd Deck (1).JPG

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Hello Dan,

Nice job on the 4 boats .I'd looked at papermodel kits before and never quite saw how they were supposed to come together.

Really very nice.

In case you're wondering (although you are probably not) how they got the inside boats into the water.

These 2 boats were on rails and they slid forward and out from underneath the signal deck so the crane could pick them up. 

Henry

Looking superb  so much detail amazing:o     I too can not speak highly enough of Lifecolor paints,  they are brilliant and last so well without drying out.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

1 hour ago, matelot said:

In case you're wondering (although you are probably not) how they got the inside boats into the water.

Thanks Henry. Yes I was wondering about that, it makes sense :). Thank you too OC.

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Thanks for the tip Jan.

I've finished the 3rd deck. The pieces of railing hanging in mid-air will be attached to the structure along-side. Lots of louvres :

Aft 3rd Deck (6).JPG

Aft 3rd Deck (7).JPG

Cheers, Danny

Thanks for the Likes guys :).

A few tips on how I fit PE Railings on a slightly tricky platform. The first pic shows one strip of railing already fitted, and I've drilled and fitted the first post (which is actually the 3rd one from the join). Note that I haven't worried about joining the two strips together yet. The MDF blocks support the loose end roughly to the right height :

PE Railing Fitting (8).JPG

I fitted the other two stanchions in the straight section before moving to the bend. To shape the bend I use a piece of plastic tube to support the inside of the rail and gradually push the rail in, moving the tubing as I go (the MDF block is taking the place of my finger while I took the pic).

PE Railing Fitting (7).JPG

I do one stanchion at a time, using the MDF block to hold the stanchion right on the edge of the platform so that I can position it for drilling :

PE Railing Fitting (6).JPG

The drill I use is one made for drilling PC boards. It's made of tungsten, and is 0.4mm in diameter. Each drill has a plastic collar attached, different colours for each size to make identification easy. When using them without a pin-vise I can use the collar to turn the drill with my fingers. For this job the pin-vise is a better option :

PE Railing Fitting (5).JPG

Once the hole has been drilled I use a pair of narrow-jawed tweezers to locate the stanchion in the hole :

PE Railing Fitting (4).JPG

I use a piece of strip wood to determine the height above the deck of the lower rail before applying a droplet of CA glue using a needle with the end of the eye ground off :

PE Railing Fitting (3).JPG

The finished platform. A PE ladder has been fitted into the gap between the strips of railing :

PE Railing Fitting (2).JPG

PE Railing Fitting (1).JPG

Cheers, Danny

Thanks again Jan and Paul :).

When I went to fit the hangar to the 1st deck I discovered a big mistake. Once again the inadequate instructions led me down the garden path. I'd fitted the two centre boats to the racks as per the drawing, but they were a mile out of position. There was no way that the hangar would fit against the deck behind it, as the boats hit the railing. In fact they would have been almost all the way into the range finder on that deck :

Boats Redo (1).JPG

Nothing else I could do but try and remove the two boats and move them forward the required distance. This wasn't going to be easy, but I managed to cut them both free with almost no damage to either the boats or the racks :

Boats Redo (2).JPG

Boats Redo (3).JPG

A bit of paint, some small modifications to the racks, and all was well :). The outer boats are a little too far back as well, but they don't interfere with anything else so I'm not going to push my luck trying to move them :

Boats Redo (4).JPG

Boats Redo (5).JPG

Boats Redo (6).JPG

Cheers, Danny

Nice recovery Danny. Some great tips in this build log - as we’ve come to expect from you! :D

Thanks for that Grant :).

I thought it might be time I posted some Progress pics. The fore and aft superstructures haven't been fixed to the main deck yet as I still have work to do on both of them and it's easier off the hull :

Progress Jan 7 2018 (6).JPG

Progress Jan 7 2018 (5).JPG

Progress Jan 7 2018 (4).JPG

Progress Jan 7 2018 (3).JPG

Progress Jan 7 2018 (1).JPG

Cheers, Danny

looks amazing Danny.......great progress picts!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

One word Danny......Unbelievable! 

Cheers.......Fernando  :cheers:

Current Builds - Colonial Brig Perseverance 1807 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - 1:48 scale

Previous Builds - 

S Lucia by Fernando E - Panart - Scale 1:30

Sloop Norfolk 1798 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - Scale 1:36 

Really taking shape now Danny, nice work with plenty of detail.  Appreciate you showing your PE techniques for therails, that will come in handy for a future build (later this year).

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

WOW  what an amazing job  looks so realistic,  sorry for keep repeating myself,  you amaze me with what you are doing,   perfection in modeling.:cheers:

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I've been back 3 times to look at your last post, Danny.  It looks like anything but paper.  My mind is properly boggled.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looking great Danny.

Looking at the top down picture it is hard to believe that you are building a card model. Will have to look into getting one of these myself.

Nice rescue with the boats,

Paul

In work

Amati-rms-titanic-1912-1250

Unfinished kit

Revell Container-ship-colombo-express

Finished

AL -  King of the Mississippi

AL-Sanson

Thanks for all the comments guys, much appreciated :).

On 08/01/2018 at 12:08 PM, ccoyle said:

Not bad -- for a GPM product.

I won't be buying another GPM after doing this one Chris. I'm not at all happy with anything in the kit. From now on it'll be Halinski, although the Paper Shipwright Cerberus wasn't too bad - the only problems I had with that one were mostly my lack of experience with Card (it WAS a learning project after all :)) and the quality of the printing which was due to my getting it done commercially instead of buying the printed kit from the manufacturer.

I've made and fitted the three Aft Rangefinders and the aft radar, along with their support platforms. Construction of these was detailed on the fore units, so I won't repeat myself. All turned out well :) :

Aft Rangefinders (8).JPG

Aft Rangefinders (7).JPG

Aft Rangefinders (6).JPG

Aft Rangefinders (5).JPG

Aft Rangefinders (4).JPG

Aft Rangefinders (3).JPG

Aft Rangefinders (2).JPG

Aft Rangefinders (1).JPG

Cheers, Danny

She is rapidly taking shape Danny.  You must be able to see the finish line now?  Looks great!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks Pat and Jan. I estimate another month to the finish Pat :). Yep, LOTS of little thingys Jan :D.

There are eight 105mm Guns on Bismarck, slight differences between the ones on the forward superstructure and the aft one. This gun is one of the forward ones. Here are the parts - according to the instructions there are two pieces missing from the laser cut sheet, but nothing too serious. Another example of GPM's sloppiness :angry: :

105mm Guns (1).JPG

The two convoluted parts in the lower-right corner of the pic above are the hoods that go over the rear portion of the barrels, and were the hardest things to make. Naturally I lost one just as I was finishing it and had to cut a new one from some scrap. That was fun ..... NOT :huh:). However it turned out OK - see if you can spot the one I had to cut in the pics below ;) :

105mm Guns (2).JPG

105mm Guns (3).JPG

105mm Guns (4).JPG

Some thought had to go into working out which parts to fit first so everything was able to be attached :

105mm Guns (5).JPG

Cheers, Danny

neat that you can flip it over and see the inner workings.......of course, it won't be seen when cemented in place {it will be totally shielded}   amazing work Danny...fortunate that you at the point now where you can scratch make parts.   wonderful job!...even with the movable aspect  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: