Bismarck by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - GPM - 1:200 - CARD and PE

Thanks again guys :).

On 12/01/2018 at 1:21 AM, popeye the sailor said:

neat that you can flip it over and see the inner workings.......of course, it won't be seen when cemented in place {it will be totally shielded}

Popeye, they're partially visible on these four.

Continuing with the other three 105mm guns :

105mm Guns (13).JPG

105mm Guns (10).JPG

Aligning the axles for the gun barrels and gluing the shields together :

105mm Guns (12).JPG

The four guns finished :

105mm Guns (9).JPG

105mm Guns (6).JPG

You may remember that I'd lost one of the shields and had to cut a new one. Of course, now that I've done that I found it :rolleyes:. A bit the worse for wear so it went in the bin :

105mm Guns (11).JPG

I've also made and fitted two winches from PE :

Winches (2).JPG

Winches (1).JPG

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Thanks John.

It's been a while since I've posted, but I've achieved a fair bit of mostly small fiddly stuff. My aim was to get the 2nd Aft deck finished and ready to install on the hull. Apart from two 37mm guns on the 1st deck I'm about there :).

There were seven small boxes to make. Here are a couple of pics of the process :

Boxes (3).JPG

Boxes (2).JPG

Boxes (1).JPG

I also had two 37mm guns and two 20mm guns as well as one more winch to make. Here's one side of the deck with all parts fitted :

Aft Superstructure Finished.JPG

Before fitting the whole assembly I thought it would be a lot easier later if I did as much of the rigging as I could. There are a couple more lines to fit, but that'll have to wait until tomorrow. First there are a few pics of fitting two eyebolts made from 0.2mm brass wire :

Rigging (10).JPG

Rigging (9).JPG

Rigging (7).JPG

Rigging (6).JPG

Rigging (5).JPG

And here's the rigging I've done so far. The line is a fine elastic :

Rigging (4).JPG

Rigging (3).JPG

Rigging (2).JPG

Rigging (1).JPG

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Danny brought out his trained spiders!   had to have been tedious ;)    very nicely done....so cool!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Very nice details Danny

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thank you John, Popeye and Pat.

I'm working on the four 105mm guns for the aft superstructure. These are as much of a pain to make as the fore ones were, especially as some of the laser cutting was awful :angry:. Here are a couple of examples - note the big step in the middles of some of the edges, and also the missing bit on one of the semi-circular parts :

Aft 105mm Guns (5).JPG

Aft 105mm Guns (4).JPG

The only way to fix the problem was by gluing some scrap into the missing bits, and then trimming them to size :

Aft 105mm Guns (3).JPG

Aft 105mm Guns (2).JPG

Here's the body of the first one, and all four done to that stage :

Aft 105mm Guns (6).JPG

Aft 105mm Guns (7).JPG

Aft 105mm Guns (1).JPG

Cheers, Danny

Wunderbar Danny,

an awesome build, fantastic fitting out...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

well done on the problem recovery so far....looking good!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thank you again Carl, Nils and Popeye.

I've made all the Breeches and Hoods, and assembled them :

Aft 105mm Guns (16).JPG

The breeches and conical support fitted. These supports are weird, they pivot the wrong way in my opinion and I don't really see a need for them at all. If anything they should swivel as there is no provision for that, and I'm not about to modify them to do so :

Aft 105mm Guns (15).JPG

Aft 105mm Guns (14).JPG

Aft 105mm Guns (13).JPG

The four guns ready for the barrels and final bits and pieces :

Aft 105mm Guns (12).JPG

Barrels fitted. Prior to fitting them I wicked some thin CA into all the seams and filed out any irregularities with a diamond file :

Aft 105mm Guns (11).JPG

Aft 105mm Guns (10).JPG

And with a coat of grey primer. I'll paint them Mid-grey before fitting to the deck :

Aft 105mm Guns (9).JPG

Cheers, Danny

Those secondary guns look great, Dan.

Somewhere, I was reading a Polish gentleman's build log for a paper ship model, where he was saying contest rules for paper ship models required that paint not be used. I was shocked by that statement and cannot imagine how they assemble their models so that they needed no touch up paint. Those are some pretty tough contest rules. 

6 hours ago, CDW said:

Those secondary guns look great, Dan.

Somewhere, I was reading a Polish gentleman's build log for a paper ship model, where he was saying contest rules for paper ship models required that paint not be used. I was shocked by that statement and cannot imagine how they assemble their models so that they needed no touch up paint. Those are some pretty tough contest rules. 

I had to paint these guns, as they were raw grey card not printed ;). I agree about the contest rules - those guys are crazy :D.

Cheers, Danny

I didn't see that you repaired the rounded part,  but apparently,  I guess you did....so that was good :)   they look really nice .

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

36 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

I didn't see that you repaired the rounded part,  but apparently,  I guess you did....so that was good :)   they look really nice .

As it turned out I had to cut that section off 8 of the quadrants anyway so that they would fit. So no harm done :D.

Cheers, Danny

Thanks Demetri :).

I've finally made the last of the 2-barrel 37mm Guns :). One of these is displayed in the raised position. There are still four 20mm guns to make, but they will be among the last things to be fitted as they are on the main deck :

Last 37mm Guns.JPG

Cheers, Danny

I am assuming all this PE is aftermarket Dan?   Some very fine detail in those guns and very well assembled.

cheers

Pat

Thanks CDW, Pat and Scott. Yes, the PE is all aftermarket from the same manufacturer as the kit (GPM).

I just discovered that I'm at least one card of Railings short, so I'll have to order more which is a bummer as GPM aren't easy to get things from - the postage will cost me about 5 times the value of the actual order :angry:. EDIT - close, $AU14 for 2 cards of railings plus $AU40 postage. $AU54 all up.

I've been as frugal as possible when cutting railings to minimize waste. GPM haven't worked out the correct quantity needed (why am I not surprised :rolleyes: :angry:). Pav, if you read this and can still add some to your next order from them it would be greatly appreciated ;).

Cheers, Danny

Thse double barrel guns look marvelous. Can't you get the railings from an Aussie shop? A pitty Greg (RGL) doesn't use your scale PE. He must have quite some railings left since he replaces them with stanchion posts ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

9 hours ago, cog said:

Thse double barrel guns look marvelous. Can't you get the railings from an Aussie shop? A pitty Greg (RGL) doesn't use your scale PE. He must have quite some railings left since he replaces them with stanchion posts ...

I think I might be OK with the railings, I found some leftovers from Amatsukaze that might be just enough to do the job :).

Cheers, Danny

Here we go with another "Mini Tutorial" on building Ship's Boats from Card.

To start off the kit supplies some laser-cut formers in the shape of the hull. There are only two of these per boat - one for the vertical axis and one horizontal at the waterline. These need extra fillers, so I used the 'bread and butter' method to build up the section under the horizontal former :

Last Launches (1).JPG

The fore deck received some support along the edges :

Last Launches (2).JPG

Card can be carved with a scalpel to take off most of the excess :

Last Launches (3).JPG

Last Launches (4).JPG

Then a sanding stick is used to smooth the rest :

Last Launches (5).JPG

The deck is laminated to a piece of 0.35mm card and glued to the hull :

Last Launches (6).JPG

Next to fit is the transom :

Last Launches (7).JPG

Last Launches (8).JPG

The floor is glued in next, and some support is added to the sides under the deck to keep them in position :

Last Launches (10).JPG

Continued in next post ...........

Last Launches (9).JPG

Cheers, Danny

....... continued from last post.

Hull skinning begins by first using a rounded stick and a piece of high-density foam to shape the sides where they are rounded :

Motor Launches (7).JPG

Motor Launches (6).JPG

Then the top edge of one side is glued to the edge of the deck :

Last Launches (11).JPG

And the other side is also glued along the deck edge :

Last Launches (12).JPG

The Keel edge at the bow is next pushed against the hull and glued to it, followed by the aft section of skin :

Last Launches (13).JPG

Finally the remaining sections are glued to the hull. If the hull has been shaped properly there should be no (or at least minimal) gaps :

Last Launches (14).JPG

Last Launches (15).JPG

Now we start fitting the cabin, starting with both sides :

Last Launches (16).JPG

Then the front and back :

Last Launches (17).JPG

And finally the roof, which in this case has a slight curvature. The white card needs to be painted to match the cabin - another poor piece of design by the manufacturer :

Last Launches (18).JPG

Railings and a screen are CA glued to the deck. A couple of tiny spots of PVA glue are used to position the pieces before the CA is applied :

Last Launches (19).JPG

Last Launches (20).JPG

Last things to fit are the rudder, prop shaft made from 0.4mm wire and a shaft support, and a PE prop :

Last Launches (21).JPG

Last Launches (22).JPG

Cheers, Danny

very nice ship's boats...well done!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Great work Danny, you make it look easy but I know you put a lot of work into that - the result speaks for itself.

cheers

Pat