Bismarck by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - GPM - 1:200 - CARD and PE

Thanks guys :).

There are 6 large Row Boats and 3 small ones. These don't have any sort of framing, so I made my own after a bit of trial-and-error :

Row Boats (6).JPG

There are extra thwarts which gives them a little more depth than plain printed decks. I glued these to the decks before cutting out :

Row Boats (8).JPG

Row Boats (7).JPG

Some of my framing was a little bit out - I'm talking fractions of a millimetre here. The slots in the hull sides were not worked out very well at all, resulting in some largish gaps. The ones nearest the stern were completely unnecessary and finished up the worst of them :

Row Boats (3).JPG

Row Boats (5).JPG

As a result of the bad fit I needed to use a bit of filler. I painted the whole hulls rather than attempting to touch them up. They turned out OK :) :

Row Boats (2).JPG

Row Boats (1).JPG

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Time for another Progress pic or six. I've finished both superstructures to the stage where I can fit them to the main deck. I won't do this just yet in case there is a problem with any further sub-assemblies. Here's the aft superstructure :

Aft Superstructure Finished (3).JPG

Aft Superstructure Finished (2).JPG

Aft Superstructure Finished (1).JPG

And the fore :

Fore Superstructure Finished (5).JPG

Fore Superstructure Finished (1).JPG

Fore Superstructure Finished (2).JPG

Fore Superstructure Finished (4).JPG

Fore Superstructure Finished (3).JPG

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Great progress Danny; looking really good. Its a pity the top card layer (thwarts, bottom planks etc) was not a two-piece set to give a sense of depth inside the boats; other than that they look really good.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Looking at this, who'd even think it was paper/card.  Expletives fail me.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the compliments once again John, Pat, Reg and Mark.

There are two Arado 196 Floatplanes on Bismarck. These took me three days to make. Once AGAIN the Instructions were pretty woeful - luckily I found a couple of good pics of the "real thing" online. Here's the best one :

arado-196.jpg

The parts for both planes :

Arado Floatplane (1).JPG

Fitting the engine cowling edge piece :

Arado Floatplane (2).JPG

The major pieces of the fuselage, wings and tail rolled, folded and glued :

Arado Floatplane (3).JPG

The parts for the floats :

Arado Floatplane (4).JPG

And some pics of the finished planes. The float supports were not easy to cut and fit :

Arado Floatplane (8).JPG

Arado Floatplane (7).JPG

Arado Floatplane (6).JPG

Arado Floatplane (5).JPG

Cheers, Danny

planes look great.......must have really been tough to make.   is there a rear section to the canopy?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Dan, I am wondering what the T pipe behind the bridge boat storage might be.  The only thing I have come up with might be some sort of detection device. 

Walt

Hi Chap,

Your work is absolutely First Grade!!

(I've been following....)

If I can reminiss when I was a young Lad, (A couple of years ago), my Mother used to wrap me up in "Cotton Wool" with the excuse that I was Anaemic, I don't think that I ever was, God rest her soul.

Anyway, in the time that I had to stay at home, I used to cut out pictures of aircraft/ships/cars from magazines, I just couldn't understand at the time, why they could not be something solid, something that I couldn't hold, something 3D.... The Picture's that I cut out that is....))

I guess that I now strive to do this, 3D that is.

What you are doing in Card just resonates so much with my youth.

Fantastic Sir....

Awesome!!

Cheers...HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

16 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

is there a rear section to the canopy?

Not in this kit Popeye - what is fitted is all you get. I think the rear section slides in under the main part to open it for the tail gunner - maybe?

13 hours ago, Walter Biles said:

I am wondering what the T pipe behind the bridge boat storage might be.

I have no idea Walt :rolleyes:.

Thanks Hof :).

BTW - after posting the pics above I realised I'd forgotten to fit the radio antenna. I've corrected that omission now. The antenna itself is some ridiculously thin (0.01mm) elastic thread, and the wire part is 0.2mm nickel-silver wire :

Arado Floatplane.JPG

Cheers, Danny

fantastic modeling in card Danny,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

1 hour ago, Jim Lad said:

Do they fly?

No. I think there's a problem with the ignition ;) :D.

Cheers, Danny

On 11/02/2018 at 10:28 PM, cog said:

does the other one look the same ;)

Yes :D. Thanks Carl and Paul.

Two Cranes are used for (among other things) recovering the floatplanes. These took me two days to make. They were very fragile until everything came together :

Cranes (1).JPG

Cranes (2).JPG

Cranes (3).JPG

Cranes (4).JPG

Cranes (5).JPG

The finished articles, ready to fit to the deck. The "cables" are "Fine" EZ-line elastic (black). The keen-eyed among you will note the temporary brass wires keeping the hooks from tangling until the cranes are fitted :

Cranes (6).JPG

Cranes (7).JPG

Cheers, Danny

IMG_0413.thumb.JPG.db3d4923dda83e294070cc57a8632c5b.JPGNice work on the cranes and planes!

(planes are very convincing, even in the extreme close-up)

btw: as far as the photographic evidence goes: the canopy has norear end. Al pics of the plane show the canopy open (and with a visible gun)

Jan

Edited by amateur

15 minutes ago, amateur said:

All pics of the plane show the canopy open (and with a visible gun)

I agree Jan. Unfortunately I don't have any spare guns to fit one in each plane. I'll think about scratch-building a couple. They were actually twin 7.92mm machine guns. See HERE.

Cheers, Danny

On 28/01/2018 at 10:54 PM, Dan Vadas said:

... Pav, if you read this and can still add some to your next order from them it would be greatly appreciated ;).

I havent placed any orders recently. Waiting for something new from Shipyard... but can order something small and add yours to it. Just let me know what and how much.

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

I think it's OK Pav, I found some leftovers from Amatsukaze. Thanks anyway.

Cheers, Danny

Those cranes are very neat with good edges etc for card - i don't think PE could do that much better!  Nice work Danny.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks Pat and John :).

I've finally got to the stage where both Superstructures need to be fitted to the deck. I hadn't been looking forward to this stage much, as I wasn't sure if they were going to fit properly. I needn't have worried - there were only two slight mis-calculations (one each side) where the side walls didn't quite line up with the marks :

Superstructure Fitted (1).JPG

Before gluing anything down I dry-fitted both assemblies and checked out the fit. Then I ran around the white edges of the deck with a grey PITT pen in case any white showed after gluing (I learnt this lesson from Amatsukaze, where I had to do a bit of rather difficult touch-up after installing the superstructure :huh:). Next I taped a couple of stops to the deck to make perfect alignment easier, and only THEN reached for the glue bottle. I'm more than happy with the result :) :

Superstructure Fitted (2).JPG

With both assemblies now fitted I could finish off the rigging. First came the two Forestays for the main mast, which ended on either side of the funnel in two "turnbuckles" made from 0.2mm wire which I'd fitted earlier :

Forestays (2).JPG

Forestays (1).JPG

Then the rest of the antennae between the two masts. Four of these were a doubled line with a spacer at each end to keep them apart. There's probably a name for this arrangement, but I don't know it :

Radio Antennas (2).JPG

Radio Antennas (3).JPG

To set up these antennae I first separated the wires using a short length of 2.5mm square wood. I made the spacers from 2.5mm lengths if 0.3mm wire, which was glued to the lines with a tiny dab of PVA at each end. When these dried sufficiently I applied a tiny drop of CA to each joint. These will be painted black :

Radio Antennas (1).JPG

Cheers, Danny

amazing progress!   really coming together now  ;)  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you Popeye, John and Reg.

I've finished the rigging and fitted the planes and cranes. I've shown one attached to the crane and the other preparing for takeoff :

Planes and Cranes Fitted (1).JPG

Planes and Cranes Fitted (2).JPG

Planes and Cranes Fitted (3).JPG

Planes and Cranes Fitted (4).JPG

Planes and Cranes Fitted (5).JPG

Cheers, Danny