Bismarck by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - GPM - 1:200 - CARD and PE

incredible work, Dan. this reminds me a lot of papercraft technique which can also be detailed as hell. 10 years ago I have spent 6 months building Yamaha paper model: https://global.yamaha-motor.com/showroom/papercraft/ultra/ (MT-01). but your Bismarck is several lengths ahead. can't wait to see it finished...

cheers!

Denis

Current Build: HMS Pandora 3D modeling

Swan Class HMS Pegasus for Admiralty Models 3D Build

My other 3D work: Artstation

39 minutes ago, herask said:

incredible work, Dan. this reminds me a lot of papercraft technique which can also be detailed as hell. 10 years ago I have spent 6 months building Yamaha paper model: https://global.yamaha-motor.com/showroom/papercraft/ultra/ (MT-01). but your Bismarck is several lengths ahead. can't wait to see it finished...

Nice link to motorcycle models. Thanks!

Jan, without going further off topic I'll send you a PM this evening, or if it's OK with Dan I can post here.  

Edited by herask

cheers!

Denis

Crikey, that was some reaction :o:D. Thanks for all the nice comments guys.

6 hours ago, druxey said:

I don't normally follow kit build threads, but your work on this card model is amazing, Dan!

Thanks David, I consider it an honour to have you view my humble work :).

6 hours ago, herask said:

10 years ago I have spent 6 months building Yamaha paper model

Denis - I downloaded the card model Yamaha in your link to see what it was like. WOW :o. The assembly instructions are "out of this world" - by far the best I've ever seen. A pity that you weren't involved with the artwork for this model - I'd have loved to see how it would have turned out if you had. The Rendering on your CAD "HMS Pegasus" is absolute magic :), and would have made a huge difference to the Yammy.

3 hours ago, herask said:

if it's OK with Dan I can post here

By all means - I'd love to see it :).

Such a pity I ordered (and paid for) the Halinski HMS Hood only two days ago, and it's already on it's way from Poland. One of the Yamahas would have been a nice diversion as my next model :D.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

great job on the plane s and rigging Dan..........if you order one of those...post it in Shore leave!  I'd love to see you build one  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

59 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

great job on the plane s and rigging Dan..........if you order one of those...post it in Shore leave!  I'd love to see you build one  :) 

Thanks Popeye. The Yamaha (and 5 others) is a free download which I've already done :). If I decide to build one I certainly will post it in Shore Leave :).

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

here you go. sadly, it's the only photo I have:

PaperYamaha.thumb.jpg.6b0fef68aa5b9614ca72a00b9e325a47.jpg

I remember, the worst thing while building it was cutting all of the gluing flaps. there were thousands of little triangles to be cut out. it was such a mind numbing job, I could actually watch a movie while doing it on auto pilot. something like treenailing a 3d model... :D:D:D:D and yes, front mudflap is turned backwards...:angry:

Edited by herask

cheers!

Denis

One word Danny,  WOW!!!!!!   You’re just too good.⚡️💥⚡️💥⚡️💥.  Best, John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

4 hours ago, herask said:

I remember, the worst thing while building it was cutting all of the gluing flaps.

That was the first thing I thought about the kit too :D. I reckon maybe a pack of 100 scalpel blades might do it :D.

That's a really nice model Denis, congratulations.

Cheers, Danny

nah, I spent only 3 replacement blades and made one pair of scissors completely blunt, but could have used 100 more hands... :-) thank you, Dan!

cheers!

Denis

Bismarck has six 150mm Guns as the 2nd Battery. Construction of these was fairly easy, but I had to add extra card to the few laser-cut pieces in the kit. I modified the bases to enable them to be swivelled :

150mm Guns (9).JPG

150mm Guns (8).JPG

150mm Guns (6).JPG

150mm Guns (5).JPG

150mm Guns (4).JPG

The finished turrets. The bases still need to be glued to them :

150mm Guns (2).JPG

150mm Guns (3).JPG

I've primed the barrels, but I need to get another can of dark grey spray paint to topcoat them :

150mm Guns (1).JPG

Cheers, Danny

The last two 150mm guns were a little different to the other four as they were fitted with Rangefinders, so I made them separately to avoid confusing the parts. Here are the parts for them in various stages of assembly :

150mm Guns (10).JPG

The two guns ready for the barrels :

150mm Guns (7).JPG

Cheers, Danny

Barrels are painted (mid grey) and fitted. I made some Boots for the barrels from manilla folder. It took a couple of tries to get the right shape :

Gun Boots (1).JPG

Gun Boots (5).JPG

Gun Boots (4).JPG

Fitted to the barrels. I'm happy :) :

Gun Boots (6).JPG

Gun Boots (7).JPG

I painted them a shade of olive brown :

Gun Boots (2).JPG

Ready to fit to the deck :

Gun Boots (3).JPG

Cheers, Danny

Nice adaption with the boots Danny; the guns look good.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thank you again Pat and John :).

The 150mm guns are fitted to the deck :

150mm Guns Fitted (3).JPG

150mm Guns Fitted (2).JPG

150mm Guns Fitted (1).JPG

Cheers, Danny

3 hours ago, cog said:

Still more guns to come?

Four little 20mm singles, and the four big 380mm Main Batteries (aka "Anton", "Bruno", "Caesar" and "Dora").

The turrets on Bismarck weighed 1,056 metric tons each :huh:. The barrels alone each weighed 100 tons. They fired a shell that was 1.7m long and weighed 800kg, and had a range of over 35km.

3 hours ago, amateur said:

Ah you won't fool me: photoshopping your cutting mat into pics of the real ship

I wish I'd have thought of that, it would have saved me a lot of work :D :D.

Cheers, Danny

Jim, I think some of those turrets might be selectively independently ranged and trained in stead of being run by the main directors.

Edited by Walter Biles

The turrets on Bismarck weighed 1,056 metric tons each :huh:. The barrels alone each weighed 100 tons. They fired a shell that was 1.7m long and weighed 800kg, and had a range of over 35km.

Don't think those will fit your build though, neither will it bear the weight of those monsters

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

53 minutes ago, Walter Biles said:

Jim, I think some of those turrets might be selectively independently ranged and trained in stead of being run by the main directors.

From what I've read on a Bismarck site that would be correct :). The "things" sticking out are indeed Rangefinders.

Cheers, Danny

Further on those 150mm guns, the independent fire control is the most likely reason, but rather than selective, I note the turrets ere the two central ones.  Perhaps they could 'slave' the other 150mm guns on that side to the central one also?

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

9 hours ago, BANYAN said:

Further on those 150mm guns, the independent fire control is the most likely reason, but rather than selective, I note the turrets ere the two central ones.  Perhaps they could 'slave' the other 150mm guns on that side to the central one also?

cheers

Pat

I was thinking the same thing Pat :).

Cheers, Danny