Bismarck by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - GPM - 1:200 - CARD and PE

Nice looking hull Danny, hard to tell it is made of card.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Very nice, looks great!

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Thanks for the comments guys :).

The hull and main deck have been coated with Testor's Matt Clear,  one coat on the deck (it'll get more later when the superstructure goes on) and two on the hull. I've also cut out and laminated most of the other decks to 0.5mm card :

Upper Decks (2).JPG

Upper Decks (1).JPG

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

You have a fantastic build going on here Danny. At some point you mentioned sanding the hull skin (edges?), why and how did you do that? 

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

2 hours ago, Remcohe said:

You have a fantastic build going on here Danny. At some point you mentioned sanding the hull skin (edges?), why and how did you do that? 

Remco

Thank you Remco :). I sometimes have to take a few fractions of a millimetre off the edges to get them to sit flush together on the butt joins. Occasionally I may be just a fraction off line when I'm cutting freehand (e.g. without using a straight-edge on long curves).

I use a sanding stick with either 150 grit or 360 grit paper, depending on how much I have to take off. It sands surprisingly easily. It's virtually impossible to take this little off with a scalpel.

Other sanding is necessary when I have to use putty over a larger area than I can scrape off with a narrow chisel.

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

very nice progress Danny.......are you seeing much warpage from thickening the decks?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

4 hours ago, CDW said:

Dan - is laminating the decks a recommended procedure described in the instructions, or is it just best management practice you have learned from experience?

CDW - to be honest, I haven't really checked the "instructions" (:angry:) for some time. As you stated it's just "best management practice"  - it can't hurt, as long as you remember to allow for the extra thickness later on when cutting bulkheads for the upper decks :D.

2 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

are you seeing much warpage from thickening the decks?

Popeye - I actually laminated the decks weeks ago when I did the main deck sections. To make cutting through the extra thickness easier I first cut out and trimmed each deck section, glued it to the card, and then only had to cut through the extra card the 2nd time. Trying to cut through two layers plus glue can get rather difficult, as I found out on the main deck sections :huh:.

There's always a little bit of warpage as even Contact Cement will shrink a bit as it dries. It's easy enough to flex in the opposite direction to flatten it out again before gluing to framing etc.

Cheers, Danny

The support framing for the 2nd Decks supplied with the kit is very sparse, to say the least. The kit's is only the central piece and three athwartships frames on the fore deck section, plus the two larger "V" shaped ones on the aft section. I've added a lot more to both of them :

2nd Decks (5).JPG

2nd Decks (4).JPG

2nd Decks (3).JPG

I glued the decks on, using weights to hold them flat, and let them dry for a few hours. Then I prepared all the bends before attempting to glue the sides of the decks on :

2nd Decks (2).JPG

2nd Decks (1).JPG

I'm very happy with the way these decks are coming out - everything fits really well, due in part to the extra bracing. They are also dead flat :).

Cheers, Danny

Looking great  all that detail   still cant believe its card  (serious scratching head moment)

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

of course.......all the extra framing will flatten it out nicely!  no threat at all of warpage  ;)    you could have pressed them between pieces of glass......but there is no need with what you've done.   very nice........the outer walls go on nice n' flush  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hi Danny, she’s really coming along.  BTW, I love the dazzle camouflage.  Somewhere along the way in the last 40 years, I was able to pick up some contemporary posters of warships with dazzle.  If I can find them, I’ll snap a few pics and add the here.  Just let me know if it’s something you would be OK with.

best,

john

Edited by Landlocked123

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

18 hours ago, Landlocked123 said:

If I can find them, I’ll snap a few pics and add them here.  Just let me know if it’s something you would be OK with.

Yeah, go for it John :).

Cheers, Danny

I couldn't find the side pieces for the fore and aft gun emplacements anywhere in the kit, so I made them from some of the spare printed card. Only later did I discover that they weren't necessary as they are completely covered by the gun mounts - ah well :rolleyes: :

2nd Deck Sides (5).JPG

I've finished all the side panels for the two 2nd Deck sections. I started gluing them on from the middle to lessen the chances of finishing up short on one end :

2nd Deck Sides (4).JPG

2nd Deck Sides (3).JPG

2nd Deck Sides (2).JPG

There are four curved Bulkheads inside the sections where the guns will be fitted. It was a bit of a puzzle working out how to make them, but I've had success :). I've discovered a rather good and easy way to roll round pieces. I use a piece of very high-density foam and an Xacto knife handle. It's a lot easier than using my left index finger like I did before :

2nd Deck Sides (1).JPG

The tops of these pieces are on an angle. The little extensions should help in supporting them :

Curved Bulkheads (2).JPG

Curved Bulkheads (1).JPG

Cheers, Danny

Learning experiences don't stop do they, Danny?  You're making rapid progress with the build.

cheers

Pat

On 06/11/2017 at 11:01 AM, Reg said:

Nicely done!  I have to admit not being familiar with high density foam.  Is it something available at a hardware store?

Thanks,

Greg

I have no idea Greg, I don't know what's available in the hardware stores in the USA. I found this piece in my shed, probably a left-over from something I was working with years ago :D. Try a place that specializes in selling foam rubber, or try Google. I think it's actually known as "Closed Cell Foam" and is mainly used for Packaging.

Cheers, Danny

Ditto.... I don't think that I can really say anything more constructive that has already been said!!

It is nice to see one "Card" one "Plastic" built in "Synergy" so to speak.

I have the Trumpeter and MK1 upgrade waiting for me in storage.

(Oops... also have the 1/200 Hatechette/Partworks, (Hull Complete), and Tamiya 1/350 version, will I ever get to these?)

(A Bismark wannabe perhaps....)

I guess thing about the "Card" Version is that's its pretty much finished, Wot does that really mean in so much as colour/Etc?

Aware that there is plenty of "Touch-Ups" required.

Awesome Both!!

Regards.... HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

On 08/11/2017 at 6:57 PM, hof00 said:

I guess thing about the "Card" Version is that's its pretty much finished, Wot does that really mean in so much as colour/Etc?

Aware that there is plenty of "Touch-Ups" required.

Hof, the Touch-ups MORE than make up for the printed pieces ;):). The PE also needs to be painted. The printed card colours don't match the ready-mixed paint (Testors etc) and needs to be adjusted, so there's not all that much difference between Plastic and Card.

Cheers, Danny

Danny,

Super nice detailing! These "modern" type of ships are so involved trying to also include so many tiny needed details "right". 

Excellent work.

Now following along as well.

Cheers,

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Thank you Michael, and welcome to the build :).

The tops of the curved bulkheads are fitted on an angle. Two of the kit ones were too narrow, so I used the wider ones for the ones that were the narrower of the two and cut two wider ones from spare sheet :

Curved Bulkheads.JPG

The PE I bought is of very good quality. Here are a couple of examples of some of the parts that replace card ones :

PE (3).JPG

PE (1).JPG

The two Catapults for the Seaplanes. The fit was excellent, but no instructions were supplied with them. I eventually worked out how they went together. I forgot to take pics of them before painting :

Catapults (2).JPG

Catapults (1).JPG

Cheers, Danny

Nice work Danny, that PE looks really good!

cheers

Pat

33 minutes ago, Dan Vadas said:

The two Catapults for the Seaplanes. The fit was excellent, but no instructions were supplied with them. I eventually worked out how they went together. I forgot to take pics of them before painting :

Nice work Dan, you could have taken a look at one of Greg's (RGL) latest builds. Both Yamato and Ise have them throw-away-systems for airplanes. It seems you are in a somewhat lower gear than with the previous build. At least I can keep up now ;)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

7 hours ago, cog said:

Nice work It seems you are in a somewhat lower gear than with the previous build. At least I can keep up now ;)

Might be, cos Bismarck is a whole lot bigger then both previous builds... lol

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

12 hours ago, cog said:

It seems you are in a somewhat lower gear than with the previous build.

Details like the ones in the following pics are sucking up a lot of time :D. I've fitted all the PE portholes to the two lower decks. I decided to leave the rims in brass, because I like the effect, but I painted the "eyebrows". The lids are extras, made with my punch, because the printed ones looked way out of place against the PE rims. Oddly, the ones on the fore section of the deck are smaller than the aft section (1.6mm and 2.0mm). I don't know if this was a mis-print. The detail on the larger ones is a lot better :

Ladders (3).JPG

Boxes (2).JPG

There are six ladders on the aft section :

Ladders (1).JPG

Also two lots of 1.6mm Step Irons, which I bent using the jig I made for Amatsukaze :

Step Irons (5).JPG

Step Irons (4).JPG

Step Irons (3).JPG

Step Irons (2).JPG

Step Irons (1).JPG

And finally 12 small boxes, two larger ones, a couple of raised "doors" and two more grilles. I still need to do a bit of filling and paint touch-ups :

Boxes (3).JPG

Boxes (1).JPG

Cheers, Danny

second that Danny....the detail really pops ;)    very nice ladders too.

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: