Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

beautiful beautiful beautiful!.....and...no....no one can work so meticulously, so fast...............either you have a bunch of elves working for you at night......or..... your ship is really already completed, and you're just posting shots of the build as the days go by......:D.......

it's just too much for me...i may not be able to look at it anymore :)   kinda like if Christ came down and manifested in a blaze of light right now.....many, if not most, would shriek, and cover their eyes, and hide....all their shortcomings and sins being so exposed...:D:D

it is kind of a miracle to me.........i'll keep looking, but i'll be at a loss for words, so i'll just be clicking on ....like.... from now on :)

apologies, if i'm over reacting...cheers.............

Edited by yancovitch

Beautiful job on the planking.  

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for such kind words, I put all my heart and will in this build, I take the time to make things as good as I can, and it's a nice reward to see that you like my work, I'm honored and it's pushing me forward to do the next steps as good as the previous ones. It's a very tough and painstaking work, very demanding in time and very rigorous. Encouragements are welcome !! :D 

Victor, in fact I'm very slow at work, and I'm alone ! My little boy is now 2 1/2 years, it's too young to be productive ! :D:D  I even had to stop working on the SR for two years because of him, my job, and my martial arts gym. I only came back to the workshop a few weeks ago, in september. So I hope the build will now go on again ! Anyway thank you for your words that have great meaning to me. I really hope you will like the next steps !!

Marc, there are some flaws, but only I know where they are ! If you visit me eventually I will show you, but hopefully these are minor flaws... 

Indeed the sheerline is quite curved. I love these 3/4 views, where you can see the beauty of these curves. It seems much more linear in a side view, but the period drawings often shows 3/4 views. But I listened to your advice, (anyway that was something I had planed to do) and revised, not the top sheerline but the middle sheerline and dropped it a little more. (less than two mm, and it makes a difference) 

Here are the last pictures at this day, I did not post them earlier because of my job tooking me much time the last couple of days. Hope you will like them. The neon lights of the workshop make the ship a little bit darker than she is. 

:) 

Soleil Royal 615.JPG

Soleil Royal 617.JPG

Soleil Royal 635.JPG

Soleil Royal 642.JPG

Soleil Royal 644.JPG

Soleil Royal 646.JPG

Soleil Royal 647.JPG

Soleil Royal 657.JPG

Soleil Royal 659.JPG

Soleil Royal 661.JPG

Soleil Royal 663.JPG

Soleil Royal 672.JPG

Soleil Royal 674.JPG

Soleil Royal 676.JPG

Soleil Royal 677.JPG

Soleil Royal 678.JPG

The lines are so true and the curves are so fair.  This truly is a masterwork.  When I consider that this is your first scratch-build - and your first forray into woodworking - I just scratch my head at the wonder of it!

But Marc, you tease us with just the smallest glimpse of the poster on the wall above SR.  This is a new addition to the workshop decor?  Please show us the poster.

And, yes, some day I will make it back to France.  We had hoped - my sister and I - to bring my father back for one last visit on his 83rd birhday, his past summer.  This isn't a sad story.  My father is still alive and well.  It was just the cost that was prohibitive.  My children are also young, and once the school year begins, our finances go south 😔.  But some day, I will get back there, and I will be all too happy to finally meet you and Michel.

P.S. I am very impressed with your framing of the octagonal ports.

Edited by Hubac'sHistorian

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Magnificent, Marc.  Your pre-planning of every piece is resulting in a truly outstanding build, first time or not.  I am even more impressed by your dedication to such small details as making square bolt heads.   Inspiring work.

But is that Darth Vader standing next to your row of cannon?  Do you have a battalion of tiny storm troopers who are actually doing the work? 

If you do, that's even more impressive.

Dan

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Marc, I can't believe I have not seen your build log on here and must say that I am sorry to have missed the early steps but am following along with great interest now! Beautifully done!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Happy New Year, Marc!

I'm just re-visiting your build because I've been reading J.C. Lemineur's monographie on the Saint Philippe, and enjoying that very much.  What you have achieved with your hull, from the main couple forward and aft, corresponds very well with what Lemineur details so clearly about late 17th C. practice, while also seamlessly incorporating the pre-1673 transom framing.  It really is a marvel!  I wasn't really understanding, until just recently, that it was the placement of the wing transom above the stern chase ports (pre-1673) that cause this peculiarity of SR1's transom profile.  Michel has tried to explain this to me - and other things that, owing to a lack of common ship vocabulary were hard to grasp - but now they are coming into focus.

I hope that life, fatherhood and work are being kind to you, and that you will soon be working on your magnificent ship again.

All the best,

M

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, I did not even saw the last messages, sorry ! 

Thank you all for your interest. I wish you all the best for this new year. My life reached a balance in the first months of 2018, I have the time to work in my workshop again ! I did not work on the SR because I wanted to finish a sideproject before. It's nearly done so I will be back with the SR in a few days, for my greatest pleasure. 

And yes it was very frustrating not to work on my model but I had tough times trying to do everything at the same time but it's ok now ! I made the right choices and I'm back.

Thanks !!

:D 

👏👏👏👏👏 incredible build, man! I'm absolutely impressed!!

----

Currently scratch  building (wood, plastic and lots of other materials) a Royal Louis

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/15003-royal-louis-by-fmartins-multi-media/ 

... let's see if it survives my poor hands... 

Happy new year marc ,abd waiting for pront news.

Of the bank I look at an ocean of pleasure, or the tumult attracts you, this global movement will be your tipcart!

current build:   royal caroline

buid finished:  la recouvrancehttp://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3025-la-recouvrance-by-ofencer29350/page-2?hl=recouvrance

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh ! I almost forgot ! I can post some pictures of a carpenter I painted a few weeks ago. It's a resin 3D printed work by Bernard Huc, a man on the french forum "marine et modélisme d'arsenal", and he was kind enough to give me a 1/72 carpenter. Here is the thing.

:)

IMG_1799'.jpgIMG_1818.JPG

IMG_1818'.JPG

IMG_1819.JPG

IMG_1823.JPG

IMG_1824.JPG

IMG_1825.JPG

IMG_1828.JPG

IMG_1829.JPG

Edited by Nek0

Marc - happy to see you back!  Vermeer could not do a better job of imparting realistic flesh tones.  All of that is impressive.

However...

How’s’bout a few more broad photos of all of the planking work you have been doing 😀

Can we see some more of that, s’il vous plait?

Edited by Hubac's Historian

Actually this is great .. I wonder if I can ever reach this level of professionalism someday .. 

Thank you for sharing this 👍..