I am looking at some plans of the replica ship "Dunbrody" and the assembly plans of the frames show the siding dimension of the futtocks decreases along the frames length (sketch below showing side and front view of frames). Is this typical of ships built in that era? I have never seen this before, but I have very limited knowledge and I have only ever really looked at model plans and these plans are supposed to represent a ship built during this time. Any comments would be appreciated.

Diagrammic Assembly of Frames.JPG

Good evening Todd;

I can't be sure of the Dunbrody in particular,  but it was normal for futtocks and toptimbers to taper across their moulded dimensions (L/H side of your picture) and for them to reduce in thickness across the sided dimensions with each successive futtock.  This was done to save weight and to enable a wider selection of timber to be used (most long sections of a tree taper naturally)

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Thanks Mark. After looking and some of my older ship construction books I see that the futtocks were tapered leading upwards. It is usually shown as a taper versus stepped like in the Dunbrody construction details.

Is this done by model builders as well? Seems like a lot of tedious work.

ToddM

Edited by ToddM

Hi Todd;

Your drawing is correct,  in my experience,  although that doesn't cover everything.  The sided dimension remained constant for the length of each futtock.  the taper was between the inner and outer faces:  the moulded dimension.

One other point of interest: your drawing shows frame bends,  the name for a frame made up of a two sets of futtocks fixed together.

As to whether model makers repeat this,  it depends upon their patience and how faithfully they wish to replicate full-size practice.  As you say,  it is a lot of work!

All the best, 

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

I don't know if this will help, but there's a scratch build of center section here:  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)