Jeanne D'Arc by popeye the sailor - FINISHED - Heller - 1:400 - PLASTIC

3 hours ago, rafine said:

It's looking great Denis. I'm very jealous of your ability to work at such a small scale. Those days are long behind me. :(

Bob

Needs good magnifiers or optovisors bob.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

believe me Bob........with YOUR abilities,  I would never hold it against you  :D  :D     I prefer larger as well,  but whatever falls out of the box.....ya gotta build it ;)

thanks for the good word! 

thanks OC......I have an optivisor,  but I can't stand nothing that large on me.   I have different reading glasses.......1.50   2.00   2.50.......I can't wear the latter for very long.

I did a little more yesterday on her......the props are on and now working on the anchors and chain.   should have an other update very soon  :)   thanks for the likes!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

fairly big jump today.......the only fly in the ointment,  was the center breaking off one of the anchors when I went to remove it from the sprue.  I usually use a razor to cut it free,  but I decided to bend it off.   I just touched it up and will use them.....doesn't look too bad.   only the anchors and antennas are left......quite a few antennas.   so first off,  the props were cemented in place.

5a2a27b303a5c_1.jpg.25c6a2081d5215196ef7728da59ad7c9.jpg

then the davits for the port and starboard boats.

5a2a27e32fa44_2.jpg.85f2a1f2cde81c7994cd97c6325f0f48.jpg

5a2a27ee8c138_3.jpg.0917961e2a7be2251cf358af99cbcffd.jpg

I still need to touch up the numbers........next was the anchor chain,  SAM launcher,  and the bow flag

5a2a288b68a1e_4.jpg.c822231cbd859b7c336ad1d9ce4dbf30.jpg

5a2a289a40e28_5.jpg.5b2658246a687efcdace8a4fab0d3829.jpg

the folded rotors were already cemented on the 'Choppers......I flipped a mental coin {very hard to catch,  by the way},  and decided to cement them to the deck.       I cemented the 'prepped' 'choppers on there too,  without the rotors.  when I added them,  I saw that they were too close together,  so I had to move one of them.......very minor glue mess to fix.  they weren't on there too long before I added the rotors.

5a2a29f60d5e1_6.jpg.74f8e5b49fff91aef4bb3490dc2a7b55.jpg

5a2a2a07c974e_7.jpg.a3bdf975f9622a3685af37b056b73b90.jpg

5a2a2a35c5cb4_8.jpg.8c64204b3f199ff7c17e3a1efe15189f.jpg

5a2a2a50d4f3b_9.jpg.71f8cfae8e9c282f74977e1559d5e023.jpg

5a2a2a63c7de0_10.jpg.e9350155c0c0c291e17c76cc1368c761.jpg

the flag at the stern was next.  I added the two uprights that,  when I finish it,  will look like a sort of net.  it isn't finished yet.  I may try to do some resemblance to the rigging,  but there is no provision to attach it to the deck {ie....holes..instructions don't show much either}.  I may have to rely on the pictures....but they can be rather bland for some of them.  

5a2a2bf47b0a1_11.jpg.e179aa4e9ac5a5f1c5eb96e676d813ee.jpg

almost there  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

thanks Sam.....I think I can hold my own with Murphy ;)   I do my best to counter his every move.   the net thingie is posing it's own problems....I'm trying to rig it,  but the thread is coming out looking loose.....the uprights aren't very ridged and bend at the slightest tug.   I may have to live with it, if I can't modify it......I was thinking of eliminating it all together.   I hope to have her finished soon.......I have a couple chores to do beforehand though.

I very well could John.......but I think the best thing to do is clear up what I have.  I was looking at the Norden kit I have in the closet.......Phyl was looking as well,  and asked how big it was.  when I showed her,  she was sorry to hear that it was a small model.   I told her.......there,  there.......just get me another Nordkap  :D 

I have pictures of another ship...the Progress.  it looks a lot like the Nordkap except it doesn't have the aft cabin.  I'd love to build the Nordkap again....try a different approach.......then I could clone the hull parts for the Progress.  there's a method to my madness ;)   I also have the Bluenose project,  that I'd like to get off the ground finally......the Bluenose,  the Bluenose II,  and the America,  all at 1:65 scale.   I also have the A.L. kit of the Marina II that is also waiting in the wings.

as a fortune teller once told me........."your future looks very busy"  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

5 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

thanks Sam.....I think I can hold my own with Murphy ;)   I do my best to counter his every move.   the net thingie is posing it's own problems....I'm trying to rig it,  but the thread is coming out looking loose.....the uprights aren't very ridged and bend at the slightest tug.   I may have to live with it, if I can't modify it......I was thinking of eliminating it all together.   I hope to have her finished soon.......I have a couple chores to do beforehand though.

I very well could John.......but I think the best thing to do is clear up what I have.  I was looking at the Norden kit I have in the closet.......Phyl was looking as well,  and asked how big it was.  when I showed her,  she was sorry to hear that it was a small model.   I told her.......there,  there.......just get me another Nordkap  :D 

I have pictures of another ship...the Progress.  it looks a lot like the Nordkap except it doesn't have the aft cabin.  I'd love to build the Nordkap again....try a different approach.......then I could clone the hull parts for the Progress.  there's a method to my madness ;)   I also have the Bluenose project,  that I'd like to get off the ground finally......the Bluenose,  the Bluenose II,  and the America,  all at 1:65 scale.   I also have the A.L. kit of the Marina II that is also waiting in the wings.

as a fortune teller once told me........."your future looks very busy"  ;) 

Good to stay busy and have a plan for future builds,   I was tempted to do a  Pirates of the Carribean  theme, with my frigate making her HMS Interceptor,  getting  Revelles HMS Victory and making her HMS Dauntless and getting Revells Black Pearl,   all would have been similar scale hit and miss a bit.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

yup.......with a bit of research,  and some modification,  any model can be mirrored to any subject that is similar.   of course,  you want to be sure that at least the hulls are close....outfitting the model afterwards can be very easy to do.   the only real vessels you have a lot of leeway with,  are pirate ships,  since they used pretty much every ship they captured.  what I find about this medium and modeling in general,  is being able to think outside the box,  and do some of the lesser ships,  that manufacturers don't produce kits of.  it gives one the option to be creative.....you can learn a lot more that way.

a little more Christmas hub-bub.......it's snowing right now.   not much on the ground.....but it will turn to rain soon,  which I think is worse than if it stayed all snow.

dioramas are cool......the usual + or - is a good rule,  but don't go too far with scale ;)  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Denis,

She's looking really good mate.

With regard to your slack rigging, have you tried soaking the thread in diluted PVA and hanging it up to dry with a weight attached to the bottom, run a finger down its length when wet to stop any blobs of glue. When it's dry it will be quite rigid.  It worked for me in the past mate.

Keep up the excellent work

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

thanks Walt......glad to have you look'in in  :) 

thanks for the suggestion Mobbsie.......but it's a bit late,  I'm afraid.  the cross 'threads' have already been cemented in place.   the problem was that the uprights were so flimsy....they bent at the slightest tug.   the closer to the base I got,  it got better,  but there's one that looks a little limp.   I have an idea though that might change it a little and make it better.   I even added a cross bar at the top between the uprights....but the problem had already presented itself to me by then.  I haven't taken any pictures of it yet......I'll do that before I make the adjustment.

appreciate the good word and the likes folks......just got in from taking care of the snow fiasco outside.......2-3 inches of snow and rain on top of that....UGH!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

well.......this has been a dangerous preposition.   with all the stuff on the deck,  something was bound to get broken.   it started with a bow antenna and the flag,  but I was reaching for the mouse...doesn't count with actually working on the model :wacko:   the latest one happened this morning.......should never had touched it before my first cup of coffee.   stringing one of the lines.......tying it,  my pinkie finger lashed out straight and sent one of the Helicopters flying!   it's fixed now,  but touch ups are in order.

during the end of last week,  I solved the anchor issue.   with the center parts broken off,  there was no way to cement them in place on the model.  there is about a 1 mm hole where they are to go.   what I did was cement anchor chain on them.

5a312ab0132c9_1.jpg.87edce147bd3a43111c3d7a7dc465e95.jpg

when I cut the chain,  I left enough to shove into the hole.  I haven't touched up yet.

5a312b1ec35de_2.jpg.e3f939bf5c762f00066ac752b1dfa658.jpg

after this,  I worked on that net thing.   I wasn't pleased to see how flimsy it was to rig.   as mentioned,  I added a cross bar to the top of it,  but I had done some of the rigging beforehand.   I ended up with some limp lines.   I could go either way with this......I could have cut all of it off and used tulle for the netting,  but I felt that the mesh would be way to small.  so I figured that I would weave my own and add the vertical lines to it.  the mesh is probably too large,  but it will do.

5a312d44650f1_3.jpg.884655189c22bc6aa89b8975cfa00ae5.jpg

once it's painted,  it may not look too bad........I've done three lines so far.   more will be added

5a312db0c8c8d_4.jpg.1df9fb37fe7e2a2ddb042b2939d04297.jpg

the Helicopter to the left of the picture is the one that got binged.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Is the pilot ok in the heli,  he could have suffered a massive head ache.:huh:

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

yea.......he's OK........kept ask'in for the number of that truck!  :D    I got that darn thing rigged.......had to clear my desk so I could eat supper.  I even sleep here too!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

the net thing is done.......it isn't touched up yet.  I'll do that when I add on the um-teen antennas......and then I can call 'er finished!  :) 

5a334d8dd30b5_1.jpg.9fd99d65b8cee469b263010e9603f9fb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

well folks.......she is finished.   right after I had assembled the net thing,  she got torpedoed by a rogue glue bottle..........but the damage was minor and it was repaired in no time.  all that was left to do,  was cement on the multitude of antennas.....and there ya go!   I think it's time for a change for the work stations.....I want to move one into Kevin's old room.   I may get my wish ;) 

so...with out further adoooooo....here is the Jeanne D'Arc.

5a3959d9322c2_1.jpg.f4e0d72e65a9d7688bb3b4f05f120dc4.jpg

5a3959f6145ad_2.jpg.1a97566c166cb890719b080d48c7d076.jpg

5a395a0c55816_3.jpg.f3940c1d88f135344d8054156829e218.jpg

5a395a26bf368_4.jpg.ed7dcf84cc3d1f95e09533942ebf0250.jpg

5a395a4313e75_5.jpg.1adac52468d5fc4bcb94a355bbb3b17f.jpg

5a395a7b43245_6.jpg.a6f708291e79a35f2ead52c1d9cd0195.jpg

5a395a9ce16fd_7.jpg.bbd9b105ae9066cc89757b6ff3dd6ca2.jpg

5a395ab37e94d_8.jpg.3bd172369df8fc89854006a6effe9fea.jpg

I didn't bother to do much rigging to her........there were no holes to do it,  nor did I think to add any.  I didn't feel like flirting with disaster.   I do wish it was a larger scale,  but I still found some enjoyment with it.  I saw that Revell had a kit on the market.......for the looks,  I'd suggest this model.....Revell looks a bit fake.

I hope those who followed enjoyed the build :)  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice work Denis

Lou

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

thanks Lou,  Yves,  and bob for the good word :)    given the minor problems I encountered {some my own doing}, the model came out looking not too bad.  it's a really good subject and there's plenty of info on the ship.   thanks as well for the likes!  :)  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thats a fine looking ship denis  plastic is not always our friend but you have done a great job in sometimes testing areas.

Congrats.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Congrats for a really nice job Denis.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Nice work Denis, another "trophy" to display!

thanks again everyone for the kind comments.   I wasn't happy with some of the close ups.....it looked like I gobbed the paint on.  actually,  it was the plastic finish,  but no matter,  it still came out reasonably well.   I got to add a few thing to it,  so that added to the enjoyment.   we were at Hobby Lobby yesterday.......I saw the Hood and the Missouri large scale kits.......I hope something like them is under the tree for me:)    a part of me thinks this isn't my best work.....but I still enjoy working with plastic.  seeing what some of you folks are coming out with,  inspires me to think there's hope for me yet.   thanks as well for all the likes  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Denis,

Not the easiest ship to build mate and you made a superb job of her, well done.

If your going to take on the Hood or Missouri your going to need a bigger shipyard, good luck with that mate.

Happy Holidays mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

thanks Mobbsie for the good word :)   funny you should say that.......I have been contemplating change.   I took some pictures in my son's old bedroom,  and I like the lighting in there.......it's so much brighter.   we were at Harbor Freight one day,  and I saw this four drawer wooden work bench......not too large,  but quite spacious.  I showed it to the admiral and commented on how nice it would be.   now.........it just so happens that there is a tall......somewhat wide......and not too thick package in the back of the tree........could it be?!?!?!?!   my finger's are crossed......I hope Santa found me worthy :rolleyes:   on the main table......I have an eight compartment bin in the back........at Harbor Freight,  they have {I think} is a 16 compartment bin.  I put that in my second letter to Santa {in case the first one got filed in the dead letter office}. {I've seen 'miracle on 34th street'...even have the movie}.  

as for a ship of that magnitude..........not that the admiral would buy me a plastic model......Heaven forbid.....there is another package that is as long and as wide.  I can hope,  but I doubt it  ;)   in any case.......the computer room could become more spacious,  if one of my tables was in another room.   there are some things going on that I should be concerned about.......but I'm not letting anything foul the holidays.   nothing serious.......but it will be a game changer ;) 

thanks for the good word......thanks to all who hit the like button.........and above all,  I want to wish you all a very Merry Christmas,  and a prosperous New Years!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thank you very much Mark.......I think a lot of us did.   I have fond memories of building model airplanes with my brother........having dogfights....crashing them.  and then put them back together to fight another day.   my brother grew out of it....but I didn't.   of course,  as I got older,  I got more pyrotechnical...M 80's did a number on 'em :ph34r:   they were only 1/144 scale........when I started to build the larger scale aircraft,  I got more conservative  :)    thanks again!

saw your Royal William........absolutely beautiful!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: