Band or Scroll saw

Hi All,

I was wondering if i had space for one which should i go for, a bad or scroll saw?  I would be used for building scratch cross sections .

band saw option

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-hobby-series-hbs200n-bandsaw-102266?nosto=productcategory-nosto-1

or scroll saw

http://www.axminster.co.uk/proxxon-dsh-2-speed-scroll-saw-702063

cheers

Ian

Still Sane? who knows, who cares

Current Build Panart deck section

There are things you can do with a scroll saw you can't do with a band saw when working on thinner model sized stock. The only thing I can think of that a scroll saw can't do that a band saw can do is resawing thick slabs.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

If you have a table saw as well, then the scroll saw would probably do you. I have both but tend to use the band saw more with different blade sizes for different tasks. With a band saw of the size you are looking at you are not going to get a lot of accuracy in re sawing logs as it will only take a 13mm blade, but you would be ok with cutting down smaller squared off timber which you would not be able to do with the scroll saw. 

You can also buy a scroll saw on flea bay quite cheaply so why not buy the band saw and spend the difference on the scroll saw, then you would have both

Noel

Finished builds are 

1/35 Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

1/36 scratch built Philadelphia Gunboat from the Smithsonian Plans

Current build is

Scratch build Boudroit's Monograph for La Jacinthe at 1/36

I have both. The scroll saw gets a lot more work when modelling. If you get a band saw, make sure it is a decent size. I'm my opinion the 

smaller  ones are pretty useless. 

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

A good scroll saw is a great tool when you are cutting out frames and such. With enough power and the right blade you can do some really fine work. You can cut curves on the band saw as well but for me I have more control with the scroll saw. If you use pre-milled lumber then the scroll saw for sure.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

My vote is for a scroll saw as well - but dont skimp on the cost.  I owned a table top Delta unit I paid 100 USD on ebay - the vibration was so terrible it was almost impossible to use and broke many blades.  My new DeWalt mounted on a stand made a world of difference - it cost me close to 500 USD but is a dream to use - its extremely accurate and i can cut curves closely to plan lines easily.  I will be using this saw quite a bit cutting out frame pieces for my next fully framed build.  

I'm not saying that it's impossible to get a good quality cheap tool but usually you get what you pay for. And it definitely pays to make an investment in a better tool.

• 1 month later...

I have limited space to work in, so a full-sized scroll saw on a stand is not going to work.  Is there a good quality small scroll saw that is suitable, mostly for cutting out frames and other small parts?  Proxxon, MicroLux?

Thanks, Walt Haynes

I have both. A small Delta bandsaw and  a Delta 40-560 scroll saw. I use only the bandsaw, because it is very difficult to have accurate cuttings with the scroll saw. Or perhaps I just cannot use it correctly.

I like the band saw a lot, and have had different blades made in a special shop, both for wood and metal. The narrowest blade is about 6 mm, and can be used for quite tight curves too.

But recently there have been tasks where a good scroll saw could have been more useful, so I have been thinking to invest to a good one in a near future. But which one is the best? ChrisLBren is very happy with his DeWalt, but is that the best one?

I also have a small work space so I understand your dilemma.  I opted for a scroll saw.  It is on a stand and I utilize the space under the saw for storage.  As an alternative, when you do not need the saw, store it in the garage.  I would suggest a full-sized scroll saw since they have significantly more power.  The deeper throat on a full-sized saw also comes in handy when cutting longer pieces and when laying out several pieces on a larger sheet of wood.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

As a living room modeller I would say - Proxxon bandsaw. It is very thin and flat, so does not take a lot of space under the table. And is totally capable of sharp turns, enough for frames and such.

Scroll saws are much wider, so take more space. I also tried a small proxxon scroll saw - it is terrible, cuts pear 10x slower than the bandsaw, and with awful vibrations.

I have the option for a large bandsaw on a stand.  It is at least a few decades old likely going on 40-50 years or so.  Interestingly it has the motor attached underneath the stand with a belt going up through the base to the saw above.  It was my grandfathers-in-law and he created many very nice tight pieces with it.  There are many different replacement blades and belts in a box as well.  My mother-in-law says it works just fine.  As soon as I can clean it up and bring it down here will see if it will be adequate for modeling.  I have high hopes.  

I likely will not keep this down in my office where I work on the model as it will generate too much dust. It’s a nice thing that the only requirement I had for my wife when we bought our house was that it have a three car garage. Everything else I didn’t really care about. So I have lots of space in the garage for tools and other toys.