grsjax

Laughing at ad for pirated scale fittings

Ran across some eBay auctions for scale blocks, dead eyes and other bits that looked like Chuck's offerings over at Syren.  Reason I laughed is that even though they were pirated copies they were way more expensive than what Chuck is asking.  The quality probably isn't as good either.

Thanks for saying....

I saw that.  Crazy stuff.  For the record.  The blocks are not pirated.  They are just nicely made blocks like mine.   But they are sold by a company that pirates kits.   As far as the blocks....they are just my competition.  But at those prices,  I am not too worried.

My price for blocks...pictured

scale%20rigging%20blocks.jpg

$6.75 for 25 blocks shown above.......as compared to

the Chinese price for 25 blocks

$16.00

Plus shipping from China....Maybe I should raise my prices? ;)  How can my prices possibly be that much cheaper than sweat-shop rigging blocks. :o   And to think I also add one or two extra blocks in every package sold.   I wonder if they do the same.

Made with pride straight from "my basement workshop - USA" -  WWW.syrenshipmodelcompany.COM

Made-In-USA-Pictures-And-Ideas.jpg

And for those of you who scrolled down to read the entire post.....

I will get even crazier......use this coupon code at checkout

10dontbuychinesefakes10

and receive 10% off your next order!!!!! Support your legitimate ship model kit designers, authors and manufacturers.

Unfortunately they are not too hard to find on your own....so its better to educate.  Many dont know they exist and are unethical or pirated and will buy them unknowingly.  Better to have an educated and honest community so when folks are found buying that stuff they cant play they ignorance card.  Then they can only play the "unethical/shameful/cheapskate card".  :10_1_10:

Well two out of three anyway! :o

I hope I'm not unethical, I don't think I'm shameful, but I do have to admit I'm a chronic cheapskate! That is why when I needed blocks for my build I bought from Chuck. Why go elsewhere when you can get the best for less right here? His price and quality was less than the European sellers as well.

I am certain that my little orders now and then will not make or break Chuck but I feel I got great service, fantastic product, and still was happy in my cheapness.

Lou 

Canute, PeteB, BLACK VIKING and 6 others like this

2 hours ago, Chuck said:

Made with pride straight from "my basement workshop - USA"

Ah Chuck, David Muir on ABC Nightly News will LOVE your MADE IN AMERICA products.  :D  He's always pushing the MADE IN AMERICA products on his NEWS segment.

Dont worry....I am right there with you....I am cheap too (frugal).   And I thank you so much for your orders and support.  You can be honest, ethical and cheap at the same time.  Nothing wrong with that...:)  Theres a right way and a wrong way to be cheap.....and save $$$

Hence the coupon code......what better way to educate folks looking to save few bucks?

10dontbuychinesefakes10

and receive 10% off your next order at Syren!!!!! Support your legitimate ship model kit designers, authors and manufacturers.

Jack12477, Elijah, PeteB and 8 others like this

you never know Bob......they might even be a distributor for their junk.  go one better....never buy off E-bay :)    MSW lists enough reputable dealers of kits and fittings,  we should never have to go on any sort of hunt for kits and fittings.   I have my places to get stuff from.....I don't need to go on E-Bay.

how long is that coupon code good for Chuck?

Hey everyone,

I saw these too, but one thing that happens here that I don't like, is putting down all products sold from China and calling them pirated or junk.

Chucks blocks are great. They are great quality and they are a better deal. But, calling Chinese blocks "pirated" is simply silly. Blocks are blocks, folks. How do you pirate them? Are you saying they've taken a bunch of Chucks blocks and made copies of each one? 

Let's try to be rational about the whole piracy issue, otherwise we only serve to drive people away from MSW and the NRG and fuel negative comments from ship modelers on other sites. 

Edited by catopower

Yes they are not pirated.....you are correct Clare.   I agree with you 100%.  They are quite nice too.   A block is a block is a block.  Its the kits that are pirated.  I meant to mention that and have corrected my original posting.   But boy are they expensive.    As far as the blocks are concerned they are just my competition....  But also happen to be made by the same folks who do in fact have some pirated kits.   Should that actually matter to some folks.  These are the guys that have a very familiar serving machine.  I thought that was understood from the beginning.  .  

Clare,  try and look beyond any one particular product and concentrate on the company as a whole and whether or not they are the types of folks you want to support.  Thats all I am saying.

Actually the blocks and dead eyes were only a couple of the items I saw.  The stern lantern, laser cut kits to make strapped blocks and a few other things look like they came right out of Chuck's catalog.

Canute, Jack12477, Chuck and 3 others like this

I have replaced all my kit line and blocks with Chuck's great products. I just finished my Mamoli Golden Hind. Replaced the lantern with Chuck's kit lantern. Love it even though it is a tinny weanny bit large for the scale but I don't care as it looks much better than the one the kit provided. Finishing yards and sails on my Rattlesnake and then onto my Syren. My issue is I suck at estimating how much line I need as I tend to go long so it seems like I place an order every week. I am getting ready to start my Syren so stand by for incoming Chuck. I even hate Pirate Week in Seattle.

Well, I don't consider myself a luddite but, out of curiousity,  I tried to find these blocks on eBay and was unable to locate any but crappy Model Shipway blocks.  Not asking for a link but they don't pop under ship model blocks. But do a Google search for the same and the top two listings are for Syren Ship Model Company!

puckotred, Jack12477, Chuck and 4 others like this

7 hours ago, Chuck said:

Clare,  try and look beyond any one particular product and concentrate on the company as a whole and whether or not they are the types of folks you want to support.  Thats all I am saying.

Chuck, don't assume for a second that I don't do this already. Just because I'm asking that people be rational about our discourse doesn't mean in any way that I'm endorsing those products. 

mtaylor, Canute, Elijah and 1 other like this

I should make my own (and for my scratch I probably will at least try) but for my kit model I fully expect to replace all the kit blocks with Chuck's equivelants.

My decision this kit is whether to buy better 'rope' or bite the bullet and learn to make my own or not..

Canute, donrobinson, mtaylor and 1 other like this

4 hours ago, dvm27 said:

crappy Model Shipway blocks.  

😱😱😱

You don't mean that they actually make crappy stuff in The US of A??? 😇😇😇

Thank you Greg for bringing some counterweight to the posts here. I'm pretty fed up with how certain folks here judge stuff from what part of the world it's from and not the manufacturer. Everything from Asia is pirated, everything from Europe is crap... 

Pucko, I wouldn't generalize to that extent. Like Clare said, every thing is it's own case. We know there are some Chinese manufacturers who just copy, with no regard for copyrights. The model railroaders are pretty happy with their items made in China, and Korea and Japan before that. Some European kits are spotty for wood quality; US ones tend to give us basswood. Translations of instructions can be a trial.; others, like newer Victory Models, are very well written.

MSW is a good place for each of us to do a little research on a kit we are interested in to find out if it meets our personal needs. Hopefully the builder will put information like that in his or her opening discussions in a build log.

Folks hear what they want to hear.  You can read back in this topic and see that I did say these blocks are well done from China.   They are just almost triple the cost.   I buy many things from Europe which are beautifully made as well.   This topic is not about quality at all.  It is about integrity.   Some of the best ship model products in the world are made in the Russia and the Ukraine.  Again, these are also crazy expensive.   I think this site does a great job talking about the merits of products from all countries.  And its done in a fair way.  

In conclusion...Nobody here talks about the pirated ship model kits and products made in Germany or France.  The reason for that is because there are NO pirated ship model products coming from these countries or many others.   But when you talk about China in general,  you have about a 90% chance that what is available was stolen.  At least in terms of wooden ship models.  In terms of quality,  many of the traditional companies like Model Shipways in the USA or Bluejacket have a lot to learn from the kits made in other countries.  Even the ones from China, but also from other newer companies like Dusek as an example of newer design and innovation.   I have always admitted that the older established companies are woefully behind with the designs and quality being offered.  If they dont take things seriously and just continue to sell the same kit which was designed in 1960 without any updates....they wont be around for much longer.  

You guys, as consumers expect a lot more in a model kit and in model parts than was offerred for sale in 1975,  buying fittings made of cast Britannia metal  with tons of flashing is just not going to cut the mustard any more.  I hope and try to make some of the best kits and parts available.  So far - so good,   because a decent percentage of what I have designed has been duplicated in China without my permission.  Looking at what is being copied in China is a great barometer of market demand.  As far as other American ship model kit companies....When was the last time you saw China copy a kit or a fitting from from the classic Model Shipways  line-up..... or Bluejacket or Lauck Street or AJ Fisher (still around by the way), or The Lumberyard.  Never

Because it is just not worth copying....any longer.   Instead they copy the new innovative stuff or duplicate whats been made available from some of the noteworthy authors and ship modelers around the world.  The latest pirated goods are not the Kate Cory kit from Model Shipways (1974)..Rattlesnake kit (1982)..why bother.  Instead they copy the works from Ancre or Seawatch or Hahn or Victory Models or Syren etc.

If your kit designs and products are NOT being copied by China then I would say you should start to worry!!!  If they cant see the value in copying your work, then the consumer in general probably doesnt see that value either.

lmagna, grsjax, druxey and 10 others like this

"If they cant see the value in copying your work, then the consumer in general probably doesn't see that value either."

Chuck

It is interesting that you say that. I read the other day that HBO has somewhat taken the same view regarding their Game Of Thrones franchise. According to the article, it appears that Game Of Thrones is the most pirated product in the world, followed by Pirates Of The Caribbean. The article stated that HBO while not supporting the piracy looked at it as a gauge of popularity for their product. In their case it costs them billions!

Lou

druxey, Canute, mtaylor and 3 others like this

Several have mentioned it and I have been contacted privately - once again - about the tone of the conversation.  Please just desist in the use of "crappy" etc.  There are some who are offended by this type of language - please be considerate of your fellow modelers.

I think that with a bit of restraint another word can be used to describe the poor quality of the parts.  Cheap, inferior, junk, lousy, shoddy, trashy, sub-par, useless, worthless, atrocious, awful, rough, sad, unacceptable - just to mention a few words that are probably more descriptive.

Thanks,

Kurt

I don't think it's the 'value' of the work,  rather than the ability to pull off copying it.   Billing's kits haven't been copied,  and they have been around for a long time.         they must have real good security in place to prevent them from doing it.   blocks get the worst scrutiny......especially the plastic ones.   on a sailing ship model,  they don't look good at all........but,  use them on a fishing vessel,  and they seem to fit the subject better {at least I think they do}.   I've been there.....finding parts that don't fit the model I'm working on.   I don't toss them out......I save then for a subject that they might work better on.   I can agree with what Chuck says though......model manufacturers never stray with what they supply in their kits.  it may not lead to their demise,  but it will make their kits not as popular as others.

Canute, donrobinson, mtaylor and 1 other like this

You might think that Popeye but over the last 3 years it hasnt changed which MFGs get the most market share.  I started another topic so as to not hijack this one.  Its interesting stuff.   Even with all the talk about quality and new designs and innovation.  The same MFGs have the most build logs and according to the MSW data the most sales.  Its changing.....but not as fast as you might think.

see here

Oh darn! I missed the coupon code! No worries...I'll keep it for a next order.

Looking forward to receive the complete rope set needed for my build and the gunport hinges.

I probably can't resist the Siren song and order a complete set of blocks soon also. :)

donrobinson, Elijah, Canute and 3 others like this