US Brig Syren by Peter Bloemendaal - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

I was lucky in that regard. I was dry fitting the lintels when something didn't look right. So the lintels will be done right. And the sills have just enough wood both sides sticking out for the curve. So, in hindsight, I almost prefer it that way. It makes for a stronger connection with less sanding. It also strengthens the bulwark extension I broke off at an earlier stage nicely.

I just felt a bit like an idiot because I used to work both with Imperial and metric dimensions and am quite familiar switching between them, or so I thought...:default_wallbash:

Current Build:     USF Confederacy 1778 - Model Shipways - 1:64

Completed:         US Brig Syren - Model Shipways - 1:64

San Francisco Cross Section - Artesania Latina - 1:50

Future build:        HM Granado - Caldercraft - 1:64

LeRenard - Artesania Latina - 1:50

I am very familiar with the feeling like an idiot part. :default_wallbash:This Hobby can be humbling.

Edited by fnkershner

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

• 2 weeks later...

I have finished the gun port Sills and Lintels.

I have been sanding 80% with the Dremel using the hand held attachment and the last 20% by hand. To my surprise nothing broke..lol. So far so good.

The gun port frames are next...

Log Pic 14.jpg

Log Pic 15.jpg

Peter,

That was the approach I intended to go, but then it seems like most are adding the cannon port framing before sanding. 

I haven't sanded mine yet.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Hi Nirvana,

I don't think there is a right or wrong here. I just try to keep very close to the manual and on the photo there, they had been sanded before the port frames went in. There may be a very slight advantage that marking the port frame locations may be a little bit more accurate on the surface after sanding but that's probably nitpicking. When you do the frames make sure you cut out the deck template and have a bit of a look. The front frames are not only smaller but are also angled in.

I think this will be at least 6 Syren builds that I'm following. Yours is looking great so far. I love this ship and have the kit in my closet.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Thanks Al,

I just hope you can still say the same things when I'm halfway into the planking......

Next Update.

I finished chapter 3 without much drama and started the stern Framing.

I now appreciate the comments on how fragile this part is. I definitely intend to take it slow here and allow the glue to dry at each step....

Log Pic 16.jpg

Log Pic 17.jpg

Log Pic 18.jpg

Log Pic 19.jpg

Peter - How do you like your mini Chop Saw? After I saw Per's (Nirvana) I had to get one. Those sills & lintels are just large enough they can't be cut with a razor. I only wish I had a jig to create duplicate sizes. I like your cover for the nose. :) And I now feel very stupid. I suggested that your Gun port measuring tool go the full width of the model. And did not apply the same idea to the sweep ports. Nice catch!

Edited by fnkershner

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

Hi Floyd, the Chop saw is great. I use it all the time, especially on this part of the job. The only thing I get caught with is the end stop. I tend to push it up against the end of the part to be cut giving it a bit of load. After the cut, the stop springs back, making the supposedly same length second cut almost always shorter. Also sometimes when you go too quick, the blade seems to snap off the final bit which sometimes also moves the stop a bit. So its 1 cut, check, next cut, check, etc.

The nose I just saw rolling on the floor. I must have brushed past something and I couldn't figure out where it came from. So I parked it on the nose to not forget about it. I probably add a smiley face and make it a permanent fixture. The gun port jig was definitely your idea. It seemed logical to me to extend it to the sweep ports as well.

BTW I admire your efforts on the planking recovery. I didn't put any "likes" on your posts not wanting to send the wrong message that I was liking what I was seeing...lol. I'm not sure what I would do under the same circumstances. Maybe I'll find out soon enough.

Peter - All I can say is that this is the 5th hull I have planked and none of them have gone well. This seems to be my Achilles Heel. And I have had my share of Viking Burials. I like this kit so much I decided to try to get past the issues. But it has been frustrating and depressing. I must be honest. I would have given up by now if it wasn't going to be covered in copper.

Hi Floyd, I know a little bit where you are coming from. My first two attempts (years ago, without the benefit of a website like this) ended up in the bin as well. My only planking success is the beginners kit 'Bon Retour' from AL, which had cut out pre shaped planks in addition to the strips. And with the cross section I conveniently avoided planking.

At least we keep plugging away, so we should get there eventually...:cheers:

You are absolutely correct. If it was not for the wonderful people on this site and the fellow members of my local Club I would have given up long ago.

I Finished Chapter 4, the Stern Framing, without too much drama, spend quite a bit of time sanding (as usual) and shaping.

Onwards to Chapter 5, the dreaded planking....

Log Pic 20.jpg

Log Pic 21.jpg

Log Pic 22.jpg

Log Pic 23.jpg

Log Pic 24.jpg

Log Pic 25.jpg

Peter,  I like the extra support you added to the build frame.

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Peter - I like that extremely large Cannon you have. :P Also I see you are learning from my mistake and not planking the counter yet. Good Idea. Also I suggest you fill in between those heavy planks at the stern. I found I needed more as a gluing surface. Create Stern blocks.

Peter,

Welcome to the Syren group. It looks like you have a very nice start to your Syren project.

But I must say that your work area is entirely too neat and clean. How could you possible find anything? 

Enjoy 

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Some more progress. No real dramas to that are worth mentioning, just following the instruction to the letter. I'm getting closer to the business end of the planking.

I'll let the photo's do the talking.

Log Pic 26.jpg

Log Pic 27.jpg

Log Pic 28.jpg

Log Pic 29.jpg

Log Pic 30.jpg

Log Pic 31.jpg

This part of the planking was fun. From here is where for me it went down hill. Yours looks very good.

Thanks Floyd, Steve,

Yep, the next stage is going to be the fun part. I intend to make a bit of a plan, measure and draw it up and see if I can split it up into main sections as suggested in the manual. I will stay away from the glue for a little while until I (think) I know what I am doing. (famous last words??).

It's also time to start practicing with the tree nails, so it's off to the hardware store and get me some different colored wood fillers. What hole size is recommended for this. Chuck mentions drill size 0.55 but I'm not sure if that is an imperial size or 0.55mm.

Cheers, Peter

Steve - I worked this out to be a Number 75 or 74 drill. I am very happy with the size. It fits with the scale. Are you going to stain the planking above the Wale? if so what stain do you intend to us? I like Chuck's suggestion of Golden Oak. if you do I suggest you use a slightly different Oak. This should make for a subtle shade difference without looking like Chicken Pox.

Thanks Floyd,

I just googled and downloaded a drill size to Decimal equiv. chart. Which means a number 74 = 0.0225"=0.57mm. So I'll practice with a 0.5 and 0.6mm bit. The smallest size I have in the shed is 0.7mm at the moment so there is more shopping to be done...:D

The plan is to finish the area with a sanding sealer, sand it a bit, drill and apply wood filler, another sand and finish with 2 coats of golden oak stain & varnish (all water based). I'll practice that on some leftovers glued together. I aim to color it as subtle as possible.

I forgot to mention that I have broken a few bits. They are fragile. I buy them in packs of 5 or 6.

Well, the 0.5mm drill bits are on order. I decided not to use the golden oak. I can't get the Minwax Golden Oak here in Perth and I'm not happy with the British Paint Golden oak. I am favouring a Baltic Pine stain with a clear matt varnish at the moment but I'm still experimenting. Choosing colours is turning out to be a real pain. Even the red I end up mixing myself from 3 different reds (I have got about 8 tubes of red and a coupe of valleja paints). I hope I don't run out because there is no way I can get the same colour by mixing it a second time...lol.

Enough ranting. Here are some more pics. I am slowly working my way towards the corner with the tightest bend.

Log Pic 33.jpg

Log Pic 34.jpg

Log Pic 35.jpg

Your planking is coming along very well!  I'm at the same stage on my Syren and I'm thinking about those tight curves.  I'll keep an eye on your next few planks with great anticipation!

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Peter,

That is clean planking.

Hope I can accomplish the same once I get there.

Respectfully