New member looking to improve skills

Michaelf

I wish I had known about NRG six years ago when I first started to build wooden model ship kits. In the beginning I did a great deal of research about the hobby. I decided to start with three simple boats from Midwest and one from Buejacket, a lap strake fishing dory. These were great introductions to the skills, concepts and tools used in the hobby. Next, I built the Lady Nelson with the aid of a video practicum from Bob Hunt. I followed this with the AVS using a written practicum also from Bob Hunt. With these builds I was able to acquire some more advanced knowledge and skill as well as more simple tools. After this I built a series of kits that I felt stayed within the realm of a relative beginner but added a few new challenges. These included Swift, Le Renard, Principe de Asturias life boat and the Dos Amigos.

After looking over the kit build logs in the forum, I realized how naive my attempts were. Not that they were poorly built but rather what could be done to significantly improve the quality and appearance of a model. I would like to continue as a beginner and build the Alert from Krick. The standard on the forum to meet is the Alert built by Dubz located in Germany. I would like to use his log as one of my references. It would be helpful If I could contact him directly with a few questions but I don't know how to using the forum. Could any one help me learn the best way to do this?

Many thanks,

Mike

Welcome Mike.  Certainly sounds like you're well past the beginner stage! (I just started a few months ago and don't have much under my belt yet).  My experience on this forum is that most communications takes place through the forums and on your build log.  There is a mechanism (private messaging) that allows 1 to 1 conversations but it is generally a benefit to all to have the dialogues about modelling in the open forum. I've learned that there are a lot of very skilled and helpful members and that there are also a lot of of who are "climbing the learning curve".  I've always enjoyed that the dialogue here is supportive not critical.  

Join in!

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Thanks Doug. No problem with the open forum. I would like to start a build log but I have a great deal of information and project material to acquire before I do. So it might be a while until I start a log. My process is to gather all the ingredients first. This enhances the likelihood that I will complete the project.

All the best, Mike

Welcome! If you are aiming for the bar set by dubz (Dirk), then you are aiming very high indeed! If you have questions specific to the Krick kit, then may I suggest posting them in the General Ship Model Kit Discussions forum? Be sure to put 'Krick Alert' in the title -- I'm sure that will catch Dirk's eye.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Hey Chris, thanks for the direction. I don't think I can reach Dirk's bar but I can use his build as a resource to improve my build to the extent I am capable. Of course I welcome anyone's input and hope what I ultimately do can help someone else. What do you do when you want to improve your skills. Study the masters.

Best, Mike

Welcome to MSW, Michael.  We're all here to build, to learn, and most of us are here to help when we can.  I hope to see your log.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)