HMS Victory by Erik H - Sergal - Scale 1:78

Thought I'd share my build with you all. It'll be a lot of pictures at first since I'm already building B)

Little about myself, I'm Erik, 47 years old and I'm from the Netherlands. Done a partial Rattlesnake build  years ago and I've done the Constitution cross section, both from Mamoli.

Managed to get this kit second hand. The first owner gave up :D and it was so cheap I just had to have a go at it.

This is what I got:

dfee1b4d2e855192786f821a59f7fea0.jpg

It'll be a kit build with some minor adjustments and replacements

Edited by Erik H

Deviating from the plans. The gunports should be opened after finishing the second planking according to the plans. I decided to do it my way :D

The kit comes with lots of metal frames to put into the gunports, but they leave me with a metal window on top of the wood. My plan is/was to insert these frames in the first planking (cut away a tiny amount of extra wood so they sit flush in the first planking) and then do the second planking.

b90bd6a4f80cff4cc060652c49d594d6.jpg

Found some monograms to put on the guns online 

625ae252064bf190fd0f86ce6b4e53ff.jpg

and with the extra monograms I decided to upgrade the buckets :)

fed0cbb73fdccb10f8ebc85e5a0530c0.jpg

Few more items I just had to replace, on the right the ones that came with the kit. Too big and a bad finish.

d6f2a1c5464d7818d087dd564605c3cf.jpg

this new one is too big, but it's so much nicer then the original one, I'll be using it anyway B)

33664f7cc498bc6bb2608f6bc94c49c1.jpg

Hi Erik.

Welcome to MSW.

Where are you from Erik ?

Nice progress on the Victory.

Nice move putting the brass gunports between the planking layers.

Also a nice touch is putting the monograms on the cannons. They look like Chucks.

Will follow along on this one.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

1 hour ago, AntonyUK said:

Hi Erik.

Welcome to MSW.

Where are you from Erik ?

Nice progress on the Victory.

Nice move putting the brass gunports between the planking layers.

Also a nice touch is putting the monograms on the cannons. They look like Chucks.

Will follow along on this one.

Regards Antony.

Hey Antony,

Thx!

I'm from the Netherlands, I'll update my profile :)

Erik

Hi ! the one I built was started in 1973.The kit I had,had very rudimentary plans and the small booklet that was poorly translated from Italian, they were useless and  I threw them out right away and bought the Longridge book for reference.I changed the scale from 1/78 to 1/72 by modifying the bulkheads etc...much like I am doing today with the Confederacy from 1/64 to 1/72.There was not much info in those days, in fact, a few modeling buds of mine in England actually went to the ship and took some measuring info for me.  I wrote a lot of letters and spent more time on research than actual building and it still took up my spare time for almost 20 years.I remember that a fellow that I corresponded with in California built a scratch built Victory in 6,000 hours but he was a lot more experienced than I was at the time.I had to teach myself with no internet available.Eventually, I turned it into a diorama.A much different era than today.I am 76.Cheers! John.

Edited by JohnReid

Hello Erik, you have done a wonderful start on this the good, the bad, and the ugly as kitted by Sergal.  I purchased an unstarted kit from eBay.  This is a kit with a date of 1971.  Seeing what you have done with this has inspired me to pull the kit out and study the rudimentary instructions and the plans.

Looking forward to more of this most excellent build.  Could you tell me where you got the new Figurehead?

Cheers

Rick

Hey Rick,

I got the figurehead and the trophy of arms and also the lanterns from cornwallmodelboats in the uk.

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/caldercraft-figureheads.html

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/caldercraft_decorations.html

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/caldercraft_lanterns.html

The monograms I got from https://www.syrenshipmodelcompany.com/

And I received some more replacement parts yesterday from https://www.shapeways.com/shops/victoryparts?s=0&section=Scale+1%3A78 (The rigols)

Think I spend more on the extra bits then I did on the model so far (got the model for a little over 100 euro) :D

Start your build also :cheers:

Erik

Thanks for the links.

Syren I am well aware of.  Have used and ordered from many times.

Shapeways is a little known supplier of wonderful 3D printed parts.  Have used them many times for other projects.

Cornwallmodelboats...have only used a few times for White Ensign PE.  Will look thru their site tonight.

I also have the Hunt Practuim for this build,

will follow some of it, but not a lot....too much work beyond my skills.

Looking forward to more of your build.

Cheers

Rick

20 hours ago, 6ohiocav said:

Great progress.  What wood are you using for the second layer of planking? Whales? Is it kit supplied?

Thx :)

And I have no idea, it's all kit supplied. I'll see if I can find the parts list, it might mention the type of wood.

Partlist found .. type of wood is not mentioned. The darker ones could be walnut.

Erik

Edited by Erik H

Erik,

Good job on the kit out of the box. I am building the 738 kit using Bob Hunt's practicum. The practicum probably triples the amount of work needed to build this kit. But, it builds out into a great model. Good luck on you build. I will be following along.

Regards

Edited by ca.shipwright

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally another update :)

Had to correct an error. The tapering towards the bow was not going well, the planks were going up too steep (you can see that clearly in the last posted image)

I'm happy with the new line I found. The next few planks are going on very smoothly now. Also started some preparations on the galleries.

bbea9b38dbc24a15225f97283786c6f1.jpg

1534eb7d9c92027779383105ddf9bb61.jpg

Erik

It's looking great so far!  I also bought a second hand HMS Victory on eBay by Mantua-Sergal, but mine is in 1/98 scale.  The original builder started the keel and two bulkheads, then gave up. I bought it for less than $100.00.  I hope that mine turns out as nice as yours!

Bill

Hi Erik,

I think I have the same kit that you do. Mine stalled a long long time ago. I did not like the stern metal etching plates that were supplied with the kit. Mine are really in very poor condition. The etchings were not etched properly, and not only that they are really kind of ugly. I sort of stalled on the kit, with the idea of replacing the whole stern with my own version made from wood and fancy toothpicks.

How are your stern metal etching plates? Are you going to be able to use them?

HI Erik,

My 738 was used also in 2005. As you can see, it sat on the shelf until I thought my skills were up to this challenge. Happily, I am now enjoying this build. The owner included a laser cut accessory package from sales@doubleolaser.com consisting of the stern galleries, the large stern piece, various moldings, and what I think may be part of the head assembly. They are all cut in the appropriate relief patterns. I don't know if they are cutting this any longer. But they are well looking into.

On another note, I noticed that you have the quarter deck installed. Are you not going to detail the upper gun deck? It will be almost impossible to set the guns, hatches, etc., on the upper gun deck with the quarter deck installed.

Enjoy you build- it is a biggie.

Regards

Edited by ca.shipwright

Bill,

I do have one question.  It appears that you are putting in a series of wales, but I can't see any in photos of the real ship in Plymouth.  I like them very much.  Do you have any information that I might be missing?

The only way you can really see the wales in on a head on bow view. The chain wale, (upper) and the 2nd wale are just a little thicker than the hull. The next wale down, the main wale, is some what thicker. The bottom wale is anchor stock and thicker yet but doesn't show as well as the bottom is blended into the hull planks. You can see them in McKay's AOS book HMS Victory or McGowen's Book, HMS Victory her Construction, Career and Restoration on pp. 160-161, if you look real close.

Hope this helps

Edited by ca.shipwright