HMS Victory by Erik H - Sergal - Scale 1:78

Well, retired and time to play!  As I mentioned this is a older version of your kit.

I spent the day just cleaning and cutting slots to get the frame too this shape.  A ton of work yet to do before glue is applied.  This is old school building, and since I am old it fits!  Fired off a order to Shapways for all the items they offer in 1/78 scale.  Paid more for those parts than I did the kit (used).  Looking forward to more of your thread.

Rick

IMG_0137.JPG

On 4-11-2017 at 7:23 PM, Bill Morrison said:

I do have one question.  It appears that you are putting in a series of wales, but I can't see any in photos of the real ship in Plymouth.  I like them very much.  Do you have any information that I might be missing?

Thanks!

Bill

They're much bigger in the kit then on the real ship. This being my first complete hull I decided to stick with the kit :D

Erik

On 12-11-2017 at 3:28 PM, Chippa said:

Hi Erik,

I think I have the same kit that you do. Mine stalled a long long time ago. I did not like the stern metal etching plates that were supplied with the kit. Mine are really in very poor condition. The etchings were not etched properly, and not only that they are really kind of ugly. I sort of stalled on the kit, with the idea of replacing the whole stern with my own version made from wood and fancy toothpicks.

How are your stern metal etching plates? Are you going to be able to use them?

I think these are the ones you're talking about :) They're not too bad and I think they will work for me. Been a pain cleaning them and I recently started painting them, bottom left is done.

Maybe, just maybe, I'll order a few extra bits and pieces to add to it https://www.shapeways.com/product/Z3AEMH3UQ/1-78-hms-victory-stern-gallery-decoration?optionId=9864351 

030e534c8ad73e014510cc020df96c0c.jpg

On 12-11-2017 at 7:37 PM, ca.shipwright said:

HI Erik,

On another note, I noticed that you have the quarter deck installed. Are you not going to detail the upper gun deck? It will be almost impossible to set the guns, hatches, etc., on the upper gun deck with the quarter deck installed.

Enjoy you build- it is a biggie.

Regards

Yeah .. followed the instructions and now I'm left with a challenge there :D

I'll think off something to get the guns in there :) once I get the planking done. Working on both sides now.

Erik

20 hours ago, rghensley said:

Well, retired and time to play!  As I mentioned this is a older version of your kit.

I spent the day just cleaning and cutting slots to get the frame too this shape.  A ton of work yet to do before glue is applied.  This is old school building, and since I am old it fits!  Fired off a order to Shapways for all the items they offer in 1/78 scale.  Paid more for those parts than I did the kit (used).  Looking forward to more of your thread.

Rick

Hahaha nice :D 

And, same here, all the extra bits did cost more then the kit itself lol, but so far well worth it.

Erik

Can't say we've seen too many "sergal" Victories around these parts. If the rigging plans are anything like there HMS President model you might be better off buying some better ones.  Ship looks great, neat and tidy. Good work.   

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

On 11/14/2017 at 1:49 PM, Erik H said:

I think these are the ones you're talking about :) They're not too bad and I think they will work for me. Been a pain cleaning them and I recently started painting them, bottom left is done.

Maybe, just maybe, I'll order a few extra bits and pieces to add to it https://www.shapeways.com/product/Z3AEMH3UQ/1-78-hms-victory-stern-gallery-decoration?optionId=9864351 

Wow, yours look way better then mine. If mine looked like that I would use them too.

Not trying to hi-jack your thread, just wanted you too see the difference in the frame of your kit compared to this version from same mfg., but w/diff mfg dates.  Every part required attention with knife and sanding block to get assembled.  Two of the lateral parts required a little ironing w/steam to flatten. I have around 20 hours in this and not a single part is glued yet!

IMG_0142.JPG

IMG_0143.JPG

20 hours ago, Chippa said:

Wow, yours look way better then mine. If mine looked like that I would use them too.

They must have changed that over the years. These are wood parts.

I think you can buy them on their website https://www.mantuamodel.co.uk/ (currently down, new site under development)

Another link http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/mantua-laser-etch.html

Edited by Erik H

5 hours ago, rghensley said:

Not trying to hi-jack your thread, just wanted you too see the difference in the frame of your kit compared to this version from same mfg., but w/diff mfg dates.  Every part required attention with knife and sanding block to get assembled.  Two of the lateral parts required a little ironing w/steam to flatten. I have around 20 hours in this and not a single part is glued yet!

They must have changed a lot :o

On 11/16/2017 at 2:26 AM, Erik H said:

They must have changed a lot :o

Yes, from your frame photo compared to mine, considerable.  They give the basic part, thankfully they included a Parts diagram to allow you to finish the correct cuts.  The four parts running the length are for mounting small blocks, that in turn you drill to receive the half barrels for the guns?

I am undecided about doing all for a full broadside, you would see too much to tell not a realistic cannon port.  But they do cause the frames ribs to properly align and add considerable rigidity to the frame.

Will add deck beams not included to help support them!

Rick

On 11/14/2017 at 2:49 PM, Erik H said:

030e534c8ad73e014510cc020df96c0c.jpg

Have the same PE, ordered the Shapeways pieces as well, thought they w/the PE would give a more 3D effect.  Really like how yours are turning out.  Look forward to more of your build.

Rick

Erik,

If you want to see what a full broadside with 2 decks of guns, look at my Sergal Victory below. You can see that very little of what is inside the gun port can be seen, especially with the gun run out a little.

I hope this helps.

Keep up the good work.

DSCN9479.JPG

• 2 months later...

This is not an easy build.When I started my Sergal kit back in 1973 when I opened the box I knew that this was going to be challenge.No decent plans or instructions and what there was in Italish.With the help of Longridge, I made it through to the end with lots of blood, sweat, and tears.It was a real challenge as there was no internet then and not a lot of pics.Looking back though it was a great introduction to research and planning.I don't think that many Victorys got finished in those days.Cheers! John.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30-1-2018 at 1:42 AM, JohnReid said:

This is not an easy build.When I started my Sergal kit back in 1973 when I opened the box I knew that this was going to be challenge.No decent plans or instructions and what there was in Italish.With the help of Longridge, I made it through to the end with lots of blood, sweat, and tears.It was a real challenge as there was no internet then and not a lot of pics.Looking back though it was a great introduction to research and planning.I don't think that many Victorys got finished in those days.Cheers! John.

Haha, yes, the instructions are terrible. So glad we got the internet now, that's more valuable then the bloody manual :D

• 5 months later...