Greetings everyone;

Can anyone point me to a good source for the scantlings of the stern timbers in a 74 gun ship,  built in the first half of the 1780s. 

I can find an entry in a contract I have which specifies that the counter timbers should be 10" sided,  but no other dimensions are given.  Goodwin,  rather frustratingly,  gives a range of fractions to multiply parts of the stern by to obtain other parts,  but he does not give a starting dimension to which I can apply these factors to begin the process.

The establishment lists do not mention them either,  as far as I can determine.

I could guess at them being the same as a toptimber,  or fourth futtock perhaps,  but that has no basis in fact.

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Thanks Wayne;

They might be.  I don't have this book,  as I have (or thought I had) a complete list of scantlings for both the vessels I am currently working on.  Only realised there's a bit of a gap when I reached the stern timbers.

I have found everything I need in Steel's 'Vade Mecum',  of which I have a pdf copy I downloaded from the Bodleian Library in Oxford (which incidentally,  is a much better copy than Google's own one)

Although he is a bit later,  I think that his lists are based on earlier practices,  and I can use his scantlings for a 74's stern without worry.

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Mark

The following is a page from Scantlings of Royal Navy Ships that may help.  I assume you were speaking of the counter timbers. Note that the Shipbuilder's Repository (1788) does not have all the dimensions Steel shows. 

Thanks for the plug Wayne. 

Allan

59d363396f1f9_Counterscantlings.thumb.jpg.caa279913ed27052f99a16d988fd1c77.jpg

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thanks Allan;

Looks like a useful book.  I shall have to get a copy.

All the best,

Mark P