La Renommée by JOUFF - 1/48 - French Frigate - by Patrick JOUFFRIN

Hello gentlemen !

Following the mistake I made by positioning a black join - not to simulate a caulking - but to show that the barrels were composed of several pieces, I decided to start all over again.

So I trimmed my chopsticks, without the join this time :

tonnel62.jpg

tonnel73.jpg

Then I ordered copper roll (Petr - my new Czech friend - advised me) :

tonnel69.jpg

Back on the lathe, still using a rubber band allowing me to machine both sides of the barrels without damaging them :

tonnel75.jpg

tonnel60.jpg

Vérification :

tonnel63.jpg

Then the result on a serie :

tonnel61.jpg

The lids :

tonnel82.jpg

For the continuation of the work on these lids, here in pictures, how I proceeded, for those that it could interest :

tonnel83.jpg

tonnel78.jpg

tonnel72.jpg

tonnel67.jpg

tonnel74.jpg

tonnel77.jpg

tonnel76.jpg

tonnel84.jpg

tonnel65.jpg

Then comes the work of copper. I use gloves so as not to 'grease' and I cut small strips corresponding to the size of barrels :

tonnel68.jpg

The advantage of this copper roll is that it can be immersed in a liquid without altering the self-adhesive part :

tonnel64.jpg

For rinsing, I followed Petr's advice : "Bicarbonate de soude" dissolved in distilled water :

tonnel66.jpg

After drying, the copper strips are cut into thin lengths using a ruler and a scalpel, then it is patience :

tonnel70.jpg

tonnel80.jpg

tonnel81.jpg

tonnel71.jpg

Nothing complicated, but it's quite long.

In the end, I declined 6 series of barrels :

tonnel85.jpg

To obtain 88 barrels :

tonnel86.jpg

No more black joints, so it is more in line with reality, but we see less separations between the boards ... Question of choice !

They were the most "big" barrels. There will be others thereafter, but not for the moment : I'm starting to saturate!

See you later !

Patrick

Edited by JOUFF

Beautiful but tedious work.  Well done.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello gentlemen and thank you for your encouragement !

Continuing work in the bottom of the hull ...

This remark, from another forum :

Hello
Nice work, watch out for the rear bunker the cross section is wrong, you have to reduce the housing of the lantern.
Good luck for the future.
Patrick [/ quote]

is quite accurate: if we stick strictly to the cross-sectional plan, it does not work. So I 'managed' with some difficulty to bring all this !

111911.jpg

112111.jpg

112211.jpg

112411.jpg

The local of the lantern is not yet glued ...

It suits me, despite the small difficulty compared to the plan! That it serves the following modellers ...

Patrick

Edited by JOUFF

wonderful barrel making Patrick,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 1 month later...

Hello gentlemen !

I continued with the creation of tin plates protecting the bungs of certain barrels:

0110.jpg

0210.jpg

I picked up a few twigs to make the logs:

0310.jpg

Finally, I positioned all this small world at the bottom of the hold :

0410.jpg

0510.jpg

0610.jpg

0710.jpg

0810.jpg

My little companion stands guard :

0910.jpg

1010.jpg

Here for the moment, the following in a few times.

Good day to you all !

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hello gentlemen,

After a few months without activity on La Renommée, the building site will restart ...

Hard to get back to work. After the barrels, I will continue to the back. Two or three photos to locate :

1140.jpg1141.thumb.jpg.bc3a0be7d23d885149e33f1cf33ad0cf.jpg1142.jpg1143.jpg
The lantern will be the next goal ...

Patrick

Edited by JOUFF

C'est une petite merveille                                                                                                                                                          (a little gem)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Superbe ! Quelle précision ! et merci de partager votre merveilleux travail !

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

8 hours ago, JOUFF said:

The lantern, following the development of the pieces until I see how to braze them

Lovely job.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Good evening gentlemen and ... thank you for your encouragement!

Finally, after a few tests, I tried the adventure and ... I won !!!!

I was satisfied with a simple little "first price" blowtorch, some paste and a little refractory stone, and here is the result :

0118.jpg

0217.jpg

0316.jpg

0413.jpg  

0512.jpg

The base is not fixed yet ... I'll see for the windows and the candle before. I even managed to close the ring by brazing it.

I think I understood how to braze, finally I made myself a "mountain" when in the end it is not very complicated. Even during my tests I did not manage to melt my pieces (others of course : I did not want to start all over again ! )

To be continued ...

Good evening to you !

Patrick

petite, mais une grande merveille ...                                                                                                                                     (small but super beautiful)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...