Bismarck by Semorebutts - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/200 scale - PLASTIC - with MK1 detail set

Worked on the Bismarck a little bit more today.

Oliver was yelling so I brought him in to keep me company, but I made him promise not to poop on my workbench.

IMG_0714.thumb.JPG.6d511af6588114c0a35a7e5fcac20ed7.JPG

So, pretty much the same process I've been using this whole week.

IMG_0720.thumb.JPG.28a590bf207d7b0b344c0c181cb3edcf.JPGIMG_0724.thumb.JPG.7fdf259d09a46e586d6b29dcb2be4596.JPG

IMG_0722.thumb.JPG.87a917e2584dd0e7607738d6ab390d26.JPGIMG_0725.thumb.JPG.c6d8ccb4f6564b0ec55a45b3e6e11ba5.JPGIMG_0726.thumb.JPG.a484cdbc2a49f250d9456bf9e0f2bfd1.JPG

So I'm not sure weather to paint the two whistles or to keep them brass. I have to do some research.

IMG_0727.thumb.JPG.5bb29421e25a77350442d5b631646cdf.JPGIMG_0729.thumb.JPG.9a0f943d7b3bf5b15e9d5a4f58648d2b.JPGIMG_0730.thumb.JPG.7501f21315f0bab09fd471b7742484fe.JPG

I hate seeing glue spots like that. Once I turn this part over I will never see the glue spots again, so I will tolerate it.IMG_0731.thumb.JPG.b42b9c2ae779cdf9ee9b75977e164734.JPGIMG_0732.thumb.JPG.82af06fbff661660715ac07b286ef47e.JPGIMG_0733.thumb.JPG.993bb2bf4002daaa1907163875feacef.JPG

Talk to you all soon!

On 09/10/2017 at 3:22 AM, semorebutts said:

I have no idea why those last five photos showed up after I wrote "thanks for looking everyone!"  weird...

I deleted them from the post for you. If you don't want them to show you need to delete the actual Downloaded pics at the bottom of the Edit Box - there's a small "Garbage Can" in the bottom-right of each pic. It's a bit hard to see until you run your Mouse over it.

I also fixed up the two upside-down pics ;).

Very nice work on the PE detailing. I'll be referencing this Build Log when the time comes to add those details to my Card Bismarck ;):) . Keep up the great work.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Nice work Sir!!

Following your build with interest.

I have this kit and the MK 1 Detail set awaiting my attentions....

Having never worked with PE what surface are you using to cut the PE out of the Fret? (I see you use a #11 Blade)

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Hi Hof!  I am also a rookie when it comes to PE.  First I would cut out the PE on glass but that dulled my knife quick. Then i used a slab of marble but that wAs chipping. Finally I went to thesmallshop.com ( which has awesome PE tools) and got the "photo etch cut off kit". It works great! I believe its a slab of acrylic. From what ive read in alot of articles the #22 is best in a rolling motion. I use #11 only because im lazy and havnt gotten #22 yet.  Be cautious thought, Just push straight down till you here a snap or you know it went through.  Do not slide the blade in a slicing motion you will bend and mess up the PE. I learned that the hard way on some delicate railings. 

I hope this helped. 

51 minutes ago, hof00 said:

Thanks Chap,

I'll see what sort of Acrylic is around.

Cheers....HOF.

I just use old CD/DVDs, plenty hard enough to stop the PE deforming and easy on the blade like acrylic. Also cheap and readily available, just throw out when both sides are worn. I use a business card to hold the fret so the freed piece doesn't ping away into the ether. 

Cheers

Slog

Edited by Captain Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

It came with 2 pieces of acrylic so theres 4 sides to wear out. Im still on the first side. and these 2 clear things help alot too. IMG_0747.thumb.JPG.711d3a83d1624a72974aadfdf1f9bc3b.JPG

just posting few more photos. Im now ready for all the deck fittings and the 2 radars on this superstructure piece. Then break it down, airbrush it, weather it and reassemble. 

IMG_0743.thumb.JPG.ffc8f87c0c8d0687d5c8e6c7352cd24c.JPGIMG_0744.thumb.JPG.cb0efabc915cec153a6a823063c152d7.JPGIMG_0745.thumb.JPG.616e8355991671bf61c6a1896ff9fe69.JPGIMG_0746.thumb.JPG.00e1df2b20564094590b560c249da3a8.JPG

I find these tools very useful when working with PE - PE Scissors, PE Bending Pliers .

The scissors are a bit different to mine, same brand but mine are more like side-cutters - very sharp and accurate with thin blades that can get into the small areas of a PE card. I can't remember where I bought them, somewhere on Ebay no doubt.

The Bending Pliers are specially made for PE. The long flat blades close evenly for their length, so you can do bends in quite long pieces. They also are very accurate.

Neither are cheap (shop around if using Ebay, the prices vary greatly) but you get value for money.

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

2 hours ago, semorebutts said:

im always worried they will bend or warp the PE

No problems with that, they were designed for the job :).

Another very useful cutting tool for PE is a short-blade knife. The blade doesn't flex when cutting PE. It's the one in the middle in the pic. On the left is a standard #11 Xacto, which I hardly use any more. The one on the right is a Swann-Morton Scalpel, much sharper than an Xacto and doesn't break the tip due to it's rounded design on the top edge. BTW - I use a block of MDF to cut PE on if I can't use the side-cutters for some reason. It works well :).

Here's a Link to some spare blades I bought for the short knife. It only seems to be available from this company, so I'd advise you to get plenty of spare blades from them if you buy the knife.

Knives.JPG

Cheers, Danny

Is your name Seemore or Butts

Very nice clean build to date!

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Scott,

Cool,  lot of nice pics. 

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

wonderful progress Scott.......really looking very nice  :)   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

started on radar I and radar II.  I'm just doing the bodies first then ill come back and bend the PE radar. Not sure if i should paint the radar black then bend it or bend it then paint it black. 

Radar I, you can see the piece to be airbrushed black still on the PE sheet. 

IMG_0764.thumb.JPG.2ea494445ada6d0262c3a01c0b131108.JPGIMG_0760.thumb.JPG.5eff0805206503540ff6db15af2eadd6.JPGIMG_0761.thumb.JPG.f7d838177948ab92724c1f5f96e8a4e0.JPGIMG_0758.thumb.JPG.11c882310043163e80b880f577a7e171.JPGIMG_0766.thumb.JPG.3cf8d31c5c306a43a415507af8513324.JPGIMG_0772.thumb.JPG.0a52c57cacf75dfe865f0b4ef7f8f70f.JPG

Starting radar II , which seem a little bit more complex. 

IMG_0768.thumb.JPG.5a40b2d970226ff7f85ff3a44275e68f.JPG 

That is all for now.  

49 minutes ago, semorebutts said:

Not sure if i should paint the radar black then bend it or bend it then paint it black. 

You'll most likely lose a bit of paint when you bend them, but it can be touched up with a small paint brush when installed. Airbrushing them first would ensure you get coverage on all of it, as long as it won't affect gluing them together - CA won't stick very well to paint, or rather the paint would come off the brass.

Cheers, Danny

Just now, semorebutts said:

Hey Danny,  yes thats what I was thinking too. I think it's better to touch up some paint than not being able get paint into all the nooks and crannys once bent. 

Yep, that's what I meant :).

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Nitpicking allert!:blush:

The "bodies" are actually the rangefinders...not just the radar mounts. :)

WIP: No ships atm...sorry!🙄

Completed: Greek bireme - Dusek - scale 1:72

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."