Bismarck by Semorebutts - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/200 scale - PLASTIC - with MK1 detail set

Good luck, see you in a few.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

When you get to making up the box that contains the tools you use for such fantastic work with PE, just seal it up and ship it to me! :D I will gladly keep it safe for you!

Me again

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

• 2 weeks later...

I know how you feel with The moving. You are however doing a master job. I really liked the shading process on the turrets. Cheers.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

my last move was done in a car........I sat in the back seat with the Revell Cutty......the rest were in boxes in the trunk.  the only real heart break was when my oldest son dropped one of my guitars {it doesn't have a case}.   as for the Cutty......a few ropes came loose from the wind......this was in 2009,  when I first started to build wooden models.  it still waits for repair and her big finish.

hope your move goes well........I'm sure you'll take every precaution  ;)   remember.....the Bismark didn't sink until later,  when she left the shipyard.  yours is no where near completed yet....just a lightherted thought about logistics,  dontcha know  ;) 

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 1 month later...

Hey John,  The move went well! Then I reallized I have no room for a model workshop. So I ended up bringing ALLLL my model stuff back to my parents house.  So what Im going to do is just go to my parents house every saturday and sunday to work on the model. Starting this saturday I should be back in business. 

You will get withdrawal symptoms ... maybe you even have them now already ... glad to hear the move went well, so you are back on the move again ... now we only get a two day update per week :o I will get withdrawal symptoms too ...

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Good to hear all went well on the move, including the double ship move. Looking forward to your updates even if they are only on weekends.:o Not the kind of diet that I expected  but I suppose it's it's better than nothing.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

perhaps you could bring home work to do during the week ;)    your parents will love seeing you more often......if you weren't doing it already  :D    but,  it's great to see your back  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

• 2 weeks later...

Semore, how did you get the lines for air recognition swastika and banner so crisp? I've seen a few instances where people airbrushed it on a wooden deck and the paint bled through the tape into the grooves on the deck. Did you just use a bunch of light coats or use something to press the tape into the grooves?

On 11/22/2017 at 10:08 PM, rghensley said:

Maybe you can answer a question that I have been in a debate for awhile with another builder over the Bismarck.

We were discussing details that get over looked on Bismarck builds, i.e....little yellow warning signs at different locations on the main superstructure as an example!  Then he replies, you know everyone gets the AC recognition markings wrong, don't you?

I looked at him, and before I could speak, he says the red borders were incorrect!

Did some looking and appears there are others who agree.  The according to them, border should be a slate gray and not red.

Have you in countered any references too this?  Most excellent build by the way.

Rick

I know this is an old post, but the photos from the Bismarck wreck site seem to show that the border was red.

foredeck1.jpg

Hi John. I didn't do anything special on the swastikas.  I used 6mm tamiya masking tape which I think is the key. Tamiya tape is excellent!  You just have to make sure it's pressed on really good. Then I used a 50/50 mix of tamiya acrylic and tamiya thinner. Also I did not apply thin coats, just one coat.  When airbrushing on the tapes edge I try to spray at a 90 degree angle straight down to try to minimize any spray sneeking under the tape.  Honestly I was very suprised and delighted at how it turned out myself. :o:huh::) 

basically I followed the Flory models Bismarck build step by step as closely as I could. 

Edited by semorebutts

hey there.....glad to see your back {hopefully} :)    think'in 'bout you the other day.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

2 hours ago, semorebutts said:

I have saturdays snd sundays to work on it.

Sounds like a divorced dad and the kids! :o

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Jackpot Lou !

First you tell us you'll be building weekends, now youstart taking them off ... this will be a very slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww build ... have a nice stay at Cape Cod

Carl

good thing I'm almost done Cog. I have the Missouri waiting also.  if It helps I can tell you what I'll be doing next weekend. I will be shading the 4 main guns. Actually that only requires the guns, a couple of brushes, Qtips and the paint/spirits... I can do that here this week, then drive them back and install them onto the ship next weekend. Man I was in a good flow for 2 years with this model now that's all shook up.  

Next time don't tell me ... surprise me! Your Missouri will be even slower ... a 3 or 4 years build ?? ... you'd better get used to it if you have your workbench elsewhere, Scott ...

Carl

1 hour ago, semorebutts said:

Man I was in a good flow for 2 years with this model now that's all shook up

That's called getting married. My 'interruption' lasted over 25 years!

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Simple  - build her in the living room on your dinning table (like I do)  that way the admmiral can keep tabs and ask for the occasional cuppa or tea.:huh:

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1