Bismarck by Semorebutts - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/200 scale - PLASTIC - with MK1 detail set

3 hours ago, semorebutts said:

I eat at the dining room table.

What a waste of good table space! That's what couches are made for. Why do you think they call it a 'coffee table' and set it next to the couch?:P 

Next you will say that the garage is to put the car in!:o

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

No garage but, if I had one I promise there would be a Bismarck parked in it... no car. Hmmmm that gives me a thought.  My storage space is my basement and its huge. I wonder if its too humid for a model work shop. Its me and another condo for this one basement and its allready seperated. This is my huge half. The wheels are turning... ( notice the lonely Missouri)

IMG_2241.thumb.JPG.25e897f819f183afee744da27f94dcd9.JPG

Edited by semorebutts

Looks perfect to me, a raw canvas just waiting for you to do with it what you want.

I don't see any water stains on the floor or walls so if you threw some insulation, wallboard and matting on the floor, you could add some heat and be good to go. Bismark/ Missouri time without the commute.

I live in the pacific northwest where it rains nine months out of the year and my first dedicated, (Only dedicated) shop was in the basement of the house I lived in at the time. In my case I just threw plywood and two by fours over the cement floor and went to work. Built a lot of models down there over the years and never had any humidity problems.

Good luck  

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Sounds like a plan  - when we coming over to lend a hand?

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

7 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Sounds like a plan  - when we coming over to lend a hand?

OC.

An' y'think the admiral lets ya ...

Nice space Scott, good place to park semore's butts ... Now you've got three builds :huh:

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

5 minutes ago, cog said:

An' y'think the admiral lets ya ...

Nice space Scott, good place to park semore's butts ... Now you've got three builds :huh:

"Nope"   she scarred of flying and that would include me flying.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

28 minutes ago, cog said:

good place to park semore's butts

:D:D

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I just fear humidity that my only issue. I have to think about if I can actually do it. I was looking around down there thinking and noticed The people on the other half of the basement have there washer and dryer down there. The problem is there dryer doesnt vent outside! Theres no tube going to the outside, the water vapor from the dryer just fills the basement! 

If you look to the left in my photo thats the kind of wall im working with. I guess I can  just slap some plywood on the walls. But now im talking bout renting a pickup truck for plywood etc. it will be a project that takes away from time i  could use to finish up the bismarck. Ugh I dont know.  Who lets there dryer do that?!?

maybe a 20 minute ride early saturday and sunday mornings to and already set up workshop that im used to  doesnt sound so bad for now. 

Edited by semorebutts

1 hour ago, semorebutts said:

I just fear humidity that my only issue

Scott

If the basement is as big as you say, especially if you have some windows that are outside of the picture area, possibly you could just cover the wall on the left between you and your neighbor with a couple of the blue plastic tarps that only cost a few dollars and can be stapled to the wooden divider wall. That would stop much of the moisture, unfortunately it would stop much of the heat as well. 

If you are that concerned about excess moisture, then I would get the Missouri out of there as well and any family pictures you may have in your stored boxes. I once had a similar storage situation in an outside shed type of building and kept my backpacking gear there. I ended up loosing two packs and a small tent to mold before realized what was happening. 

If you live that close to your old shop then maybe it won't be that bad, besides it makes for some family visiting time. I don't see my kids for weeks, sometimes months at a time, and they live much closer than that. 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Personally I would ask the owner of the dryer to vent the dryer to the outside. Everybody is affected by his/her appliance. Even the wooden slatting will be prone to rot in due time. If you want to keep your personal affects in a good state, you will have to store it in airtight plastic boxes under these circumstances ... I think it's a reasonable request. You just shouldn't mention that you request it because you want to be modelling down there, but your storage will be affected anyway, so hat's a valid reason

It's odd, for we have in appartment cellars concrete walled boxes. It's forbidden to use electric appliances like dryers and washing machines, because people leave them unattended (fire risk) ...

Carl

16 hours ago, cog said:

(fire risk)

My house is 120 years old and had been converted into a rental before I bought it with a washer and dryer placed in the basement for common use.

When I bought the house I de-converted it and moved the washer and dryer upstairs to the back bedroom that had been converted to a kitchen, after taking out the stove and dishwasher. That still left three upstairs bedrooms and the Admiral doesn't have to carry laundry up and down the stairs. Probably just as much fire risk as in the basement but we have a fire detector installed also. 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

what scale is your Missouri?   I recently bought the Revell U.S.S. Arizona,  in 1:426 scale.   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

never mind........I just saw the box!  :o

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

23 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

never mind........I just saw the box!  :o

Think its 1/200 scale mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

On 6/14/2018 at 2:29 PM, JohnEnglish said:

I know this is an old post, but the photos from the Bismarck wreck site seem to show that the border was red.

foredeck1.jpg

That is interesting. The illustrations in Ballard's own book about the finding of the Bismarck shows the borders being grey! And this might not seem like such a big deal to a lot of people, but it's such an eye catching feature of the ship that I would like to get it right when I build my model. =) 

I found this video from the wreck, look at 3:40, 6:00 and 8:33. I see both grey and red in this video, red more between the planks. Could it be that the borders were red at some point, then the red (and only the red) was painted over with grey at some point, perhaps while in Bergen? (The covering up of the marks when leaving Bergen was apparently done with tarp.)

Would love to get a definitive answer on this one.

28 minutes ago, Adlerson said:

perhaps while in Bergen?

Until the wreck was found and photos became commonly available it was gospel that the entire Swastika had been painted over. Then after it became clear the this had not been the case most people seem to just write it up as a mistake. If you can find a point that it looks like there is gray over red then it could be possible that the records of the Swastika being painted out just before leaving Bergan are true but they only were able to get as far as the red band. Remember they were painting out much of the camouflage as well and had plenty of grey on hand.

Not definitive I suppose but possibly worth giving it a thought.  May end up like the white or yellow gun port band or how many stern windows were on the Constitution at the time of her Guerriere battle.    

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

20 hours ago, Adlerson said:

I found this video from the wreck, look at 3:40, 6:00 and 8:33. I see both grey and red in this video, red more between the planks.

I think that's the lighting. Areas that are red seem to shift to grey as the camera moves around and as the main light moves off the spot.

Edited by JohnEnglish

11 minutes ago, JohnEnglish said:

I think that's the lighting. Areas that are red seem to shift to grey as the camera moves around and as the main light moves off the spot.

Agreed. Don't think it's wise to put too much emphasis on correct color using film that's made so deep under water like that with all the issues of light and shadows.

I started shading the 16 inch guns, but something just wasn't right.  The wash was acting different. It wasn't coming out good like before and it's hard to work with.   Then it hit me.  I had spilled the wash about two months ago. When I spilled it it was not mixed so more oil got spilled  then pigment, and That must have thrown off the balance.  I just ordered more as I  don't want to use this anymore.  

Anyway heres before shading

IMG_2261.thumb.JPG.8c3c94b7140bde5931cb7631d64d24e2.JPG

and after... im not happy with it. 

IMG_2262.thumb.JPG.1e1b6941de6eb834e48fb003d43f917d.JPGIMG_2263.thumb.JPG.80fe12415b8eeb1fff721f653f7b9f55.JPGIMG_2265.thumb.JPG.07514e14615b61da4ed28af84570ba9f.JPGIMG_2266.thumb.JPG.0ef7a2237fc147d16a8459bccd59e1d4.JPG

Oh and do I shade the blast bags?

Edited by semorebutts

looks better than whatever I'd attain ;)    it's still a nice job on the guns.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

By the way, on the Vendetta build I did, I used a mixture of Vallejo Ivory & Wood to get a colour I thought to be near. A bit darker could be right for shading the blast bags

Edited by cog

Carl

To bad you have to contend with this in addition to only getting weekends to work on her!:(

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Yes Imagna it sucks!

Cog yes it was there fault the receipt says I ordered AK 303. They were just not paying attention when they grabbed it off the shelf. And grabbed AK302.  I contacted the seller through amazon. Now they say allow 2 days  for the seller to respond... this tiny little mistake is going to cost alot of time. 

I could easly just order it again it was only a few dollars. I'm not going to do that though. I'm going to send this back at there expense and have the right one sent to me at there expense. Maybe next time they will pay attention to what they are grabbing off the shelf. 

sorry to hear of the setback.......never used that type of paint before.   I kinda miss the good 'ole days,  when hobby shops were plentiful,  and one can simply drive over to exchange stuff {then again,  if we had the shops,  we wouldn't be going through this hassle}.  of course,  I'm one of those guys that would just keep the stuff and reorder it........cuts down on the hassle time ;)     but...it is their mistake...and it is the right thing to do.  chin up my friend.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: