Bismarck by Semorebutts - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/200 scale - PLASTIC - with MK1 detail set

The business ends of Bismarck have finally been installed! She is looking mean and ready to go. I can hear the sea pumps right now and the whirring of 1940s technology. I can't wait to see what you do for the seaplanes Bismarck carried, assuming that you even put some on this model. Great job on this ship, someday I may have to attempt something like this myself.

Brian :)

yes CDW I have to get a custom acrylic or glass box made  basically the shape of a fish tank.  Any thoughts on what is better acrylic or glass?   I delayed doing this for a while due to how expensive it is,  but I recently had a  Cash winfall so  I can really move forward on this now.  Im  basically going to put this next to the front door or in the living room.  Somewhere everyone can see it though🙃

4 of 8 guns done, ready for paint. 

IMG_2419.thumb.JPG.1f2874db8655da46443636a18630e49a.JPGIMG_2420.thumb.JPG.7315961cf1ea50ecd8c7f398fce427f9.JPGIMG_2421.thumb.JPG.bd78513b1c3c6ccec0091529bf54ee75.JPG

I have heard that one of those materials has a problem of building static inside the case, thinking it is the acrylic cases. But it also depends on the material of the model. A friend of mine has a beautiful sailing model of USS Constitution, sails and all. He that problem whenever the case is lifted/lowered.  Not sure how a plastic and metal model like Bismarck would respond. Personally, I would go no thicker than 1/4 in material for the case either way.

Brian :)

9 hours ago, semorebutts said:

Im wondering if theres  A difference in clarity 

Certainly there is, it depends wholely on the type of glass/acrylic you choose. You even can get them non-translucent ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Display cases, lol i shudder even just thinking about them, my 1/200 Bismarck and 1/72 HMS Victory are my smallest builds 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hi Ya,

My experience is that Glass is the preferred medium for Display Cases....

I lean to glass supported by a wooden frame. The Cutty Sark was a case in point, Very large glass panels, four Sides and Top.

I designed the Cabinet so that I could remove any panel if necessary and also six Short legs to keep the centre of gravity as low as possible. (Earthquake insurance, so to speak, and to date, its been through a few Inc. a magnitude 7.8)

Glass thicknesses: Sides - 4.0mm Top - 6.0mm (Tempered Glass top to stop energetic Cats falling through!!)

I got a chap in to put a clear adhesive plastic coating on the interior sides so if the glass suffers a failure it's not going to shatter, God forbid!!

The Completed Cabinet weighs in at about 50kg.

Acrylic would be lighter but the glass is so easy to clean....

The other consideration that I had was UV Light exposure, keep it out of direct Sunlight....

(Here's a picture, Not quite the Bismark, but might give you some ideas for your Cabinet options?)

Anyway, each to their own....

Cheers....HOF.

DSC_0114.JPG

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

24 minutes ago, CDW said:

And that's a beautiful piece of furniture besides just being a display case. Well done indeed.

I agree with CDW  thats lovely.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Wow HOF! thats amazing!  Thank you everyone for the wealth of info on this!  

I wonder if glass boxes can be built without wood frames. Like  they do with acrylic just gluing the panels together.  I like the look of nothing but glass. for some reason it stands out to me.   

9 minutes ago, semorebutts said:

Wow HOF! thats amazing!  Thank you everyone for the wealth of info on this!  

I wonder if glass boxes can be built without wood frames. Like  they do with acrylic just gluing the panels together.  I like the look of nothing but glass. for some reason it stands out to me.   

Try an aquatic aquarium buiilding company or even a aquatic shop  all glass fish tanks can be purchased for around a £100  I think.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Hi Chap,

Yup, my Bluenose II and Mare Nostrum have the "Upside Down" Fish Tank, no frame.

I started building Wooden Frames to carry the Glass.

(As mentioned, New Zealand is an actively "Seismic"  country....)

(Happy to post you some pictures of these.... Secured on a Rimu Base by "Earthquake Putty."

(Rimu, pronounced Ree-Moo, is a native NZ Timber, my favorite, all my cabinets are constructed of this stuff.

The timber has a very "Warm" glow.... Quite rare and very difficult to get hold of....)

I went to a Glass company, with the exact dimensions required, they gave me an awesome Upside Down "Fish Tank" and you cannot see the joins....

(Look for a company that can offer adhesive transparent stuff for your glass, you wont have tears if a side breaks, just a couple of cracks.)

I'll Txt the company tomorrow to request the product name.

Anyway, this is about you and your awesome work!!

(I'll get my Trumpeter Bismark underway one of these days....)

Dust is the ultimate killer for an otherwise awesome Model....

Cheers....HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Thanks for the info HOF, I'de love  to see a photo of that! Im working on the last 4 guns, these guns are pretty cool. 

IMG_2423.thumb.JPG.4bf9f748da5216aaa9ef7401cc42f26b.JPG

this is the PE i'm using

IMG_2426.thumb.JPG.cd6c68cc43506feee540631b5c0fbfbf.JPG

and the PE i'm leaving behind. Sorry guys 😕  but half of it you will never see and the other half I could never  install with my skill set. 

IMG_2427.thumb.JPG.3e2e3bab507d5a0ed5e46a3169ccd9e9.JPG

The instructions also give you two options for the PE.  I'm not sure if I like number one or number two yet. 

IMG_2428.thumb.JPG.0a33af9748ad28eedb44b8099ff6cc37.JPG

Edited by semorebutts

5 hours ago, semorebutts said:

Im going to regret this though im sure.

Whether you are successful or not, I am looking forward to seeing your attempt!

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Fingers OK, forehead not so much! :blink: For me personally getting them stuck on my fingers would not be an issue anyway as I would never be able to pick them up and hold them in my fingers in the first place. 

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey