Bismarck by Semorebutts - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/200 scale - PLASTIC - with MK1 detail set

15 minutes ago, semorebutts said:

Oh my!! I had no idea that existed!!

Yep,   this place is full of very pleasant little supprises.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Yep, better looking antenna on the left.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

1 hour ago, cog said:

It certainly isn't a flying trapeze ...

Could be for this  - remember   -    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/2LF04Y9n5hJTHK1l6ffLhPc/the-rise-and-demise-of-the-flea-circus

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

9 minutes ago, semorebutts said:

Thats some talented fleas! 

Used to be a program on British tv in the 70s (I think)  called Michael Bentines Flying Circus.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 1:13 PM, semorebutts said:

Thanks guys!  I just wish i had more time.  Its going slower than I would like. But definetly very Fun!     As for my next build,  it  will probably be the Missouri just because I already have it ( i just have to spend  the $300 for all the pontos for it) I’m struggling between blue deck or teak deck.

The yorktown would be my perfered next build in a perfect world. Also I just bought a 1/35 isreali tank. So that might be going on the side.  

What time period will your Missouri be? I'm working on 1/350 USS Alaska which had her shakedown cruises with the Mo. I struggled with selection of proper colors. Wikipedia has a site with all the Navy colors and when they were used. It answered all my questions. When the Mo went to the Pacific she was changed to  Measure 22 which would have the blue deck. 

Great job on the Bismarck

Harley

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

27 minutes ago, tigerdvr said:

What time period will your Missouri be? I'm working on 1/350 USS Alaska which had her shakedown cruises with the Mo. I struggled with selection of proper colors. Wikipedia has a site with all the Navy colors and when they were used. It answered all my questions. When the Mo went to the Pacific she was changed to  Measure 22 which would have the blue deck. 

Great job on the Bismarck

Harley

You should start a build log in the site on her harley.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I started on the two planes today. I’m  not sure yet but I might display both planes with wings folded instead of just one. 

Anywho, I figured I would start by cutting everything out. 72F474A0-FCF9-4F90-9AE3-916566F07A7B.thumb.jpeg.59c8f85dd92fdce4842123ef7b530db0.jpeg7F5BB76D-D881-4AAE-BCA4-421750196924.thumb.jpeg.b3f9472936bbb6a95ded49b6a6ba05ba.jpeg

next I had to remove the cockpit area to make room for the new cockpit. 

D8543EAC-41B2-446B-B0F5-557AFFCF049A.thumb.jpeg.1d214ed8f2528ad143dd3cf3fb56381d.jpeg2638A38C-E9A6-4358-B04B-64D4423E1A9E.thumb.jpeg.246608158c6b726fbbc0b40dc59d1edc.jpeg

with that done I started on the first planes wings. Mark it, cut it and sand it. 

CA273726-3C8E-4529-95F5-6740A43C9133.thumb.jpeg.bbd12970261601e63f73f533285fb285.jpeg55EC0880-2C68-4522-A623-47E07827A90C.thumb.jpeg.ee0be6afc7a47a99f629944e554f2ca2.jpeg1E7E4399-DF98-48C1-B8E4-439543C2F698.thumb.jpeg.75e213ca649c855f508f4919bf0a784c.jpegF1444DBF-4C00-43C6-9E25-56903ACA03D5.thumb.jpeg.9e02ae84fb9f06c2bda771d62506a8a4.jpeg

I have a soft spot for the Ar 196, as the old Airfix kit is one of the models I can remember building with my dad when I was a kid. I built the same kit again as a teen, but it disappeared somewhere eons ago.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

5 hours ago, ccoyle said:

I have a soft spot for the Ar 196, as the old Airfix kit is one of the models I can remember building with my dad when I was a kid. I built the same kit again as a teen, but it disappeared somewhere eons ago.

You should do a fresh build on one chris  - put it in the shoreleave section.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

24 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

You should do a fresh build on one chris  - put it in the shoreleave section.

Nowadays it would have to be paper, and there isn't a good card kit of it available that I know of. And it would probably be far, far back in the queue... after my DH82A, Fokker E.V, PZL P.11, Spitfire Mk. V, PWS-10, Stampe SV-4, etc., etc.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

1 hour ago, ccoyle said:

Nowadays it would have to be paper, and there isn't a good card kit of it available that I know of. And it would probably be far, far back in the queue... after my DH82A, Fokker E.V, PZL P.11, Spitfire Mk. V, PWS-10, Stampe SV-4, etc., etc.

I have a 1:4 scale Stampe SV-4 in my stash, an RC flying model. Beautiful airplane and very aerobatic.

catching up with your build........you've made some nice progress :)   the boats and cranes look great on deck!  super idea on the planes.......should look very cool  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Popeye!  

Hey guys I have a question. Im starting to think about decals. For the arados, flags etc. I just heard of dry transfer.  I have 2 sets of decals. MK1 decals and Trumpeter decals.  I have no idea if they are dry transfer decals or waterslide decals.  Is there a way to tell what I have?

Edited by semorebutts

Can't speak to the MK1 but the Trumpeter are most definitely waterslide decals.  I'm not familiar with anyone who includes dry transfer in a kit but I could be wrong. Most dry transfer I've seen are after-market decals.

I think they apply them to the foil to allow you to make the flags ripple in the wind. Probably need a flexible paint, like the stuff the RC guys use, since you want the paint to stay applied. I'd use a light gray color as a base, especially under red or yellow colors.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Well hes doing somthing here with the decals and white glue.  Is he just glueing them to the foil without watersliding?with the backing and all? Is he then cutting them out and glueing the 2 sides together? Wouldnt that be very thick and out of scale? I have so many questions. I have to figure this out. 

75546A6B-B2DE-45E4-A2AC-D46E78B3AEF0.thumb.png.4aed05bc103c7d29958c313628a6a7dc.png

Just look at that result! Looks amazing!

D22A829C-529D-4EE9-BF05-9A3B2D29325F.thumb.png.08dcf19dd824f734b19c2d611f4b0434.png

the foil might not add that much to the thickness...but it does make them easier to shape  :)    regarding the decals.......your kit would specify if they are water slide or dry transfer.......but Jack is correct.  I haven't done a kit with dry transfers.  I've read up on them,  and saw a video in you tube.  they seem like a crap shoot.....if you don't get them right the first time :blink:........:o........😭

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

If you use the fabric flags, bend aluminum foil to the shape of the "ripple" and then use diluted white glue (50-50) and soak the flag, stick it down to the foil and let it dry.  It should hold the ripple when it comes off.  I used that on my Constellation and my Vasa.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)