modlerbob

Corel Flying Fish schooner 1:50 on ebay

This kit is currently on ebay and I wonder if it is worth trying to get and if it is how high a bid should I submit.  The kit is priced right at $200 on several web stores but I have read that the instructions are terrible, the fittings are out of scale and I am not sure of Corel's quality.  So, any suggestions on how much it is worth?

Bob

It is worth what YOU feel it is worth to you!

If you look at the last one sold on eBay it went for $76 delivered.

I have this kit as the masts/rigging are an exact match for the rigging I will need for my model of the USS Lanikai and even though I have of course not built it, it seems to be as good a kit as any of the other European kits like Mamoli or AL etc.

Hopefully you will get more knowledgeable input for someone who has actually built it. 

Lou 

Edited by lmagna

It's not as much what it may be worth to me but rather how much I can afford to bid.  The size and type of model are in my comfort zone, if only I could get rid of a couple of big wood kits I own.

True

For what it is worth My suggestion would be to wait until the last fifteen seconds or so and place the highest bid you feel is what you can afford. That way you don't promote a bidding war where some jerk keeps raising the bid so that he/she can be on the top of the bidding list. If you wait long enough hopefully there will not be enough time for too many people to also try and out bid you before time runs out. If you still get outbid then you at least know that #1 you gave it all you feel comfortable with, and #2 forced someone else to go even higher to outbid you.

As for your other kits you want to get rid of, put them on eBay just like other people do. You should at least get enough to make your net cost for what you really want much lower or possibly even make some money depending on what you are selling.

You could also look at this kit:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mantua-771-Albatros-1-40-Scale-Wood-Ship-Model-Kit-Sealed-Fittings-em-jm-/311976425174?hash=item48a33e76d6:g:E0kAAOSwEKNZ2n2w At this point it much less expensive than the Flying Fish. 

Lou  

Edited by lmagna

Thanks Lou, I don't know how that one got past my radar.  I will just watch it until there is little time left.  I currently have the high bid on the Flying Fish but I doubt that it will hold up as it isn't very high.

Edited by modlerbob

I did a modified build of that kit (in the gallery as Ghost). IMO it is a terrible kit and not worth any amount of money. There are FAR better kits available in the less than $200 retail range.

Thanks Chris, I did see your comment regarding the lack of quality in the Flying Fish kit.

That Mantua Albatross kit looks like it might be a good buy. Don't know much about Mantua, but I'm always prepared to substitute my own wood for planking if need be.

mtaylor likes this