QUICK-FIND INDEXES to BUILD LOGS FOR KITS

16 hours ago, josh44 said:

I am almost finished with my first build log - scratch -ship in bottle -Schooner Annie.

How do I get it onto the index?

That's my job. I'll get onto it shortly :).

16 hours ago, josh44 said:

Also, how do I list my current builds and FInished builds, like the post above me?

By editing your Signature. Click on your Username at the top of the page, click on Account Settings, then Signature and go from there.

To mark the build log as Finished - edit the FIRST post of the log. There is a box in the edit function that allows you to edit the Title of the log.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Danny,

I joined MSW back in early January.  At that time I started a log for the Lincolnville Wherry.   I see since then the Index has been updated several times, yet my log has not yet shown up in the index.   I was just curious if I failed to update some field that is preventing my log from being included when the index is rebuilt?

If it is just a question of your time, then no hurry on my part... I totally understand.   I just wanted to know if I missed some step in creating my log,

Thanks for your time

John

15 hours ago, John Gummersall said:

I joined MSW back in early January.  At that time I started a log for the Lincolnville Wherry.   I see since then the Index has been updated several times, yet my log has not yet shown up in the index.   I was just curious if I failed to update some field that is preventing my log from being included when the index is rebuilt?

John, your build log has been in the "Small Craft" Index for some time now. I'm guessing you were looking in the Wooden Ships Index?

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Danny, when I click on the PLASTIC/RESIN link I get the Card PDF file; likewise when I click on the CARD link, I get the Card PDF ....... Looks like a couple links got broken/overlaid.

44 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

Danny, when I click on the PLASTIC/RESIN link I get the Card PDF file; likewise when I click on the CARD link, I get the Card PDF ....... Looks like a couple links got broken/overlaid.

Problem fixed.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

18 hours ago, Dan Vadas said:

John, your build log has been in the "Small Craft" Index for some time now. I'm guessing you were looking in the Wooden Ships Index?

Danny

Danny,

Thanks for the information... I now see it in "Small Craft" section and index.   I am sorry,  I just assumed my log was going into the Wooden Ships section.  Never thought to look in other sections  -

For the future, when I create a new log, how do I know what section it goes into?  Is there some field I missed that would indicate what section the log is created?

Thanks for your time - I appreciate it

John

16 hours ago, John Gummersall said:

For the future, when I create a new log, how do I know what section it goes into?  Is there some field I missed that would indicate what section the log is created?

John, read the post at the top of the Build Logs for Kits page titled "Starting and Naming your Build Log" for more information.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

27 minutes ago, Dan Vadas said:

John, read the post at the top of the Build Logs for Kits page titled "Starting and Naming your Build Log" for more information.

Danny

Danny,

I am sorry, I did read the top of the Build Logs for Kits page titled "Starting and Naming your Build Log"...  But looks like I did not read it carefully enough.   I now see what I was missing in the build log title.

Thanks for putting up with my poor reading of the "Starting and Naming your Build Log" documentation

John

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 1:54 PM, Dan Vadas said:

That's my job. I'll get onto it shortly :).

By editing your Signature. Click on your Username at the top of the page, click on Account Settings, then Signature and go from there.

To mark the build log as Finished - edit the FIRST post of the log. There is a box in the edit function that allows you to edit the Title of the log.

Danny

Hi Danny, regarding the Signature - so I tried to copy and paste in the links to my ships, but it put in the pictures as well - a little to clunky, and not what I want.  How do I set up a hyperlink to my builds but without the picture? like everyone else....

thanks!

4 hours ago, josh44 said:

How do I set up a hyperlink to my builds but without the picture? like everyone else

When editing your Signature - type the Text you want (e.g. Ship's Name), highlight it with the mouse and use the Link button in the Edit Box (it looks like 3 chain links). You need to copy/paste the URL from the Address Bar (top of screen) of the page you want to use as the Link. You can Format the text in your Signature (text size, colour etc).

BTW - I did it for you ;).

Danny

Cheers, Danny

• 3 weeks later...

Dan, good day to you.

Just got a question and you can maybe give an answer.

What has coming to my mind and correct if I'm wrong but from the "to built" projects a lot of them are not finished as not noticed here, just the hull with some and that's it.

Now having said that, it looks to me that a lot of members are starting a building but due to what ever reason not finishing it.

Bit off a bad idea but then again, we don't know the reason why and maybe we never will know.

Is this the normal behaviour from those members (and I went back to 2014) that just they disappear and nothing afterwards.

Even I start building the Fairmouth Alpine, there are 2 members that also started the vessel but none of them finish it?

Anyway, I will keep you updated in another part of this forum with my building progress and hopefully I will finish that after some time.

If any member reading this and cannot or will not finish this/her building I'm willing to finalise it if they send me what is left/done to me.

I will not keep it but will send it back in final state.

Waiting yours,

brgds

Peter den breejen.

Peter,

As in all thing in life, stuff happens.   People hit a point and move on to something else, family changes, death of the builder, etc. all have an impact.  Some ships really can't be completed for some reason and often the builder just tosses it and moves on.  And lastly, especially with new builders, they start a project that is way too difficult for them so they abandon it.   What you might do, is try contacting the builder via their profile or just click on the icon for the builder and see if they're still active. 

Having said that, we've had quite a few builds go silent for sometimes several years and suddenly the builder is back and finishes the build.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 month later...

Hi Danny.  I saw that you’ve changed the index for wooden ship kits from pdf to xls.  For some reason, the links don’t work for me now.  Have you heard this from others?  Or am I doing it wrong?

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

9 hours ago, Matt D said:

Hi Danny.  I saw that you’ve changed the index for wooden ship kits from pdf to xls.  For some reason, the links don’t work for me now.  Have you heard this from others?  Or am I doing it wrong?

No, that was all me. I must have uploaded the wrong file by mistake. I'll fix it.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Just a simple 'Thank you' , a great resource and well worth your time doing this :)

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

• 1 month later...

Hello Dan,  Thank you for compiling these logs into a easy to use index.

I have a comment about the small craft log and specifically about the 18th Century Long Boat versus the 18th Century Armed Long Boat.  Arthur Wayne, Sea Hoss, Dwight and myself (Dr PS) are listed as 18th Century Long Boats and Tiger65 as an 18th Century Armed Long Boat . In order to help readers find the logs on the 18th Century Armed Long Boat, it would be helpful to list them all as 18th Century Armed Long Boats . The two models are similar in many ways but there are some very specific issues associated with the 18th Century Armed Long Boat.  Also, I would think that listing only one as an 18th Century Armed Long Boat  would lead others to believe that there are no others doing this particular boat.l

Thanks, Paul Schulze

Edited by Dr PS

Paul

Cutty Sark, Scientific Models (no build log)

18th Century Armed Longboat, Model Shipways

Civil War Coffee Wagon and Limber, Model Shipways side project

New Bedford Whaleboat, Model Shipways

Civil War Gatling Gun, Model Shipways side project

• 3 weeks later...

Danny:

I started my second ever build log back in late 2018.  It's the Mantua version of Cutty Sark.  On April 1st I added "second phase" comments, and several of the folks following my build saw them, but it seems to me that I did something wrong. Isn't there some way of notifying viewers of the build logs that an update has been added?  I don't know how to do that.  I'm about to enter a 3rd stage, and then a finish stage, and want to get it right.  Fantastic ship, and I hope I'll be able to build many more. 

Thank you,

Tom Hoxie

aka Tom in NC

• 1 month later...

Hi Dan I have been using the index a few times the last week and found it great. Went to use it today and it opens as an XLS file and not adobe When I try to open one of the sites it says it cant find it. This is showing up in XLS . Before it came up as an adobe file which worked. I have checked my computer for adobe updates but everything is ok. Any ideas or is it me?🤔 

It's not you Mike, it was all ME (and not for the first time either). I uploaded the wrong files this morning when I updated the Indexes. Sorry about that :D .

Thanks for the "heads up". All fixed now.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Hi Danny,

Just letting you know my Syren build has now finished.

Thanks, Peter..

Current Build:     USF Confederacy 1778 - Model Shipways - 1:64

Completed:         US Brig Syren - Model Shipways - 1:64

San Francisco Cross Section - Artesania Latina - 1:50

Future build:        HM Granado - Caldercraft - 1:64

LeRenard - Artesania Latina - 1:50

• 2 weeks later...

Dan, In case you haven’t been thanked for this lately, I wanted to tell you how much I appreciate your work on these log files.  They are a great help and I use them all the time.  I’m sure you put a lot of effort into keeping them updated.  Thank you!

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, mugje said:

Is it my computer? Or is the "finished" part cut off? The part behind the brand name is blank at my downloads.  (wooden ships index)

Not you, problem fixed :) .

Danny

Cheers, Danny

• 1 month later...

Dan, sorry to come with a question but if I'm looking into the index of RC buildings / boats I can see 2 x Fairmount Alpine from George and another who most likely is deleted by the system as cannot find him anymore if you click on it.

Now I'm building this Fairmount Alpine since March this year but can't find my built in your list!

Do I have to go somewhere else to find it or is it not updated your list?

Also I made previous a mistake to open another page here what was wrong my side but to delete it I cannot.

Maybe you could have a look into that as I have 1 since start and moved all relevant info from the second page to the first one but cannot delete it.

/profile/32387-seamanpeter/?status=1004&type=status

Sorry for the inconvenience given but we are all humans and as I'm not a computer expert the mistake was made by me.

Hopefully I can find my built in your list next time I pass there too.

Thanks on the forehand

Peter den Breejen.

Edited by Seamanpeter
additional info.

Hi Peter,

You said it - "we are all human". Your build log was in the "Wooden Ships" Index, you hadn't added "RADIO" to the title so I didn't know that it needed to go into the R/C Index. I've edited the title of your log for you and updated the R/C Index.

The other log by NMBROOK has been deleted, he did it himself. He has had some kind of issue with this forum and is no longer a member.

His other build logs and posts are still there, just hidden from the general membership as he has been Banned by this forum. This is normal forum policy - we don't delete the content of Banned members in case the issue is resolved at a later date and the member is restored. In that case all his/her topics and posts are then "Un-Hidden".

Have a good day. Cheers, Danny

Cheers, Danny