Working more than one build

alde

I am currently working on MS Glad Tidings. It's going pretty well and I will be updating my log soon. I also have a Triton cross section started but I set it aside to build my skills a bit. I am thinking of starting a side project of Chucks Longboat to do something different for a while. Is it a bad idea to multitask? I consider the Glad Tidings a learning project more than anything and it's doing that well. I really don't understand why these work boats are not more popular. The larger scale is nice to work with and they can really be detailed.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Having two projects going at the same time can be a good way to prevent getting frustrated.  When one gets to the point where you need a break you can work on the other for awhile.  I agree about the work boats.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

I'm just saying.....

001.JPG

John

Member: Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

Current Builds: Tugboat Dorothy  Newport News Shipbuilding Hull #1 (complete)

Iron Clad Monitor (complete) 

Sardine Carrier which I will Name Mary Ann (complete)

Pilot Boat John H. Estill Newport News Shipbuilding Hull #12 (my avatar)

Harbor tug Susan Moran

Coast Guard 100' patrol boat

You guys make a lot of sense. I really feel the need to work on something different for a while.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

I'm the opposite to Bob. One at a time, or things start getting confusing. If I'm getting a bit tired of tying ratlines, for example, I'll make the Longboat or the lanterns or something else. There's usually something on the same build that can be made.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

My admiral always says that a man can not do multitasking. Only a woman can do that.

I am constantly working on one wooden model ship and 2 to 3 plastic military models to prove her that she is wrong.

;)

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Patrick, your wife is 100% correct.  What you are describing is having several incomplete projects.  True multitasking is when you are working on a build while simultaneously running the washing machine, prepping dinner and picking up after the man of the house!

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Toni,

My wife is doing the whole household and she does this all very wel
And she goes to work.

She knows that making 3 models at the same time is not multitasking.

Then she just shakes her head from left to right and smiles :);)

I'm making diner.
Maintain a garden of 2000m2
Do all the small repairs in the house.
Do maintenance on our 2 cars
Go to work 5 days a week.

And, in 32 years of modeling, there are only 2 models (on a total of 1400 completed)  that ended up in the trash because of a failure.

Ps,

Hopefully, I do not offend anyone with my bad knowledge of the English language

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

8 hours ago, Backer said:

My admiral always says that a man can not do multitasking. Only a woman can do that.

My wife THINKS she can do multitasking, although she doesn't/can. I simply admit I can't.

Back to the topic, I always work on two projects, and, like some guys said, when I feel frustrated/bored/blocked, I switch projects and refresh my brain.

Alex.

Current build: Constructo's Union, 1:100 Brigantine

Having multiple builds appeals to me, and Alex's point about refreshing your brain makes sense. But I'm a beginner, I'm afraid that if I allowed myself to purchase more kits, my hobby would go from model building to kit and tool collecting.

You have to know when to draw the line, and I'm not so good at that.  

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want

Current build: Model Expo Glad Tidings, Pinky Schooner

First builds:

Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack

Midwest Chesapeake Bay Flattie

I've usually got several builds going at one time. It helps from getting a bit burned out occasionally by just doing something different. However, once the planking and finishing of decks and hull is complete, I usually concentrate more on that build until I get to the rigging stage. Rigging, for me, is very tedious and requires a lot of concentration. I take breaks from that and work on something else for awhile.