Sopwith Camel by Mike Dowling - FINISHED - Model Airways - 1/16

40 minutes ago, Mike Dowling said:

John, when you made your wooden wing struts, did you take your measurements from the plans or the instructions ? There is quite a big discrepancy between the two.

The length of the struts will depend on the placement and angle of the cabane struts. Make sure these are properly placed and angled out appropriately to match their attachment points in the upper wing. Once those are in place, you can attach the upper wing and check into the length of the interplane struts. These came out very close to their planned size for me, maybe a mm off. You have to cut them a little long in order to file them to a wedge fit into their parts CAW42. They should be tight, as in they will "lift" the lower wing a bit and they will attempt to pull down the upper wing onto the cabane struts tightly. They shold not bend the upper wing... that's too tight ;-)

~john

Thanks John.

Not heard from Model Expo yet. I thought soldering would be a problem.

I also thought I could at least get on with the wing struts but from what you say, since I don't have the right cabane struts I can't do that either so I really am stuck!

Current build : Fokker Dr 1

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

• 2 weeks later...

I am still waiting for the parts I need from model airways but, in the meantime I have made a start on my 'half' covering of the plane. I can only do so much because otherwise I will not be able to do the cabling that runs though the wings for the ailerons.

Anyway I thought you might like to see how far I have got. he final colour scheme is going to that of 209 squadron RAF from WW1 as flown by Arthur Roy Brown who was credited to an extent with shooting down the Red Baron !

DSCN1149.JPG

DSCN1150.JPG

DSCN1151.JPG

DSCN1152.JPG

DSCN1153.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Hooray, my bits have arrived from Model Airways so on we go

I have done the undercarriage framework although I have to admit to doing the rigging three times because I was being a numpty !

I have also drilled the holes and fitted the eye bolts to the cabane struts. I am very glad I am lucky enough to have a proxxon drill press as drilling those holes would have been a real headache by hand.

Now of course I have to try and fit them on !!

John - did you use epoxy for the struts ?

DSCN1160.JPG

DSCN1161.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

For the cabane and outer wing struts, I used CA. For the landing gear struts, I used epoxy soaked into the string used to simulate the bungee cables. 

CA was touched on the "bolts" for the wing struts. It holds well. 

~j

Smashing little model. I hope mine looks a bit like that in the end !

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

The cabane struts are on and I have made and fixed the inter-wing struts as well. I did use epoxy in the end as the CA was just not strong enough. The rigging for the ailerons is also done though it hardly shows. I have not tied it off yet as, like John, the thread needs time to settle and stretch. Having said that there is no way that anyone could get to the control stick now unless they happen to be a micropilot !!! Therefore, whether the ailerons actually work or not with their very complicated and fiddly rigging is fairly pointless. Why do we do this stuff to ourselves ?!

Because I am covering half the plane I figure that will be my next job as it will be easier to do before I put on the strut bracing so I am getting there and it does now look like a proper bi-plane.

Nice to have you along Popeye.

Some pics for all.

DSCN1162.JPG

DSCN1163.JPG

DSCN1164.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

The half of the wings that I was going to cover are now covered, painted and varnished. Tricky enough dodging the aileron cables so I am really glad I did it before the strut bracing which is the next thing to do.

DSCN1209.JPG

DSCN1210.JPG

DSCN1211.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

John, how did you tie off your aileron cables after tensioning ?

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Well folks, the beast is finished ! The ailerons have proved to be a disaster as somewhere my tensioning went wrong despite triple checking it. Never mind, who is going to fly it anyway and as long as it stays still it will be fine.

I have put my excuse for a propeller on for the time being in the absence of a better one. Whilst the cabling hasn't worked out at all well it is all there and I must admit I have enjoyed making this a lot more than some models. So, view for yourselves.

Next build for me is another tram. Much easier !!

DSCN1212.JPG

DSCN1213.JPG

DSCN1214.JPG

DSCN1215.JPG

DSCN1216.JPG

DSCN1217.JPG

DSCN1218.JPG

DSCN1219.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you John, I also have the Albatross in my stash waiting and am thinking of getting the triplane. Did you do the model expo or the Artesania Fokker ?

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Thanks John for you comment and also for your invaluable help without which I don't think I could have done it.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

• 2 months later...

Here's the beginning of your prop. I first cut the prts from a piece of mahoganny 1.5 mm thick, as I didn't have anything else (that was December last, I got a wee bit side tracked a.o. ) As the prop couldn't exceed 1 cm thickness I had to sand the parts down. Both whilst cutting as whilst sanding a few of the parts seem to have a different idea about being a piece in one ... Next up sticking them together and shape it down to a smooth looking prop

prop_02.jpg.6d8f715a08fea2912770f1d4321f4323.jpgprop_01.jpg.4958d1265811244fc29fb46909d29d01.jpgprop_03.jpg.dc8633cec60af55cf2c58958b19e71cf.jpg

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

you showed the sopwith hanging in your Fokker log......made me realize that I had totally lost track of this project.  while it appears that I didn't miss much,  I see that the finish produced a fine looking model.   the half fabrication looks great....the truss cables can be a trial....you pulled them off very well.   definitely set you up for your tackle of the Fokker kit ;)    super looking model!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 4 years later...

I got the Sopwith Camel F1 (Model Expo) about 6 months ago and have been working on it since then.  I found that the wooden framework of the fuselage was very easy to break, so I replaced the wooden parts with brass tubing of the same sizes. soldering it together.    I have now completed the fuselage itself and am part way through the engine parts (supplied).  I have completed all wings, almost all out of the metal parts supplied, but have changed a f ew things like the wing ends with brass wire.  I am pretty pleased with how it is at the moment, though had I just spent a little more time on some parts I would no doubt be even more pleased.

I have found that the plans supplied do not always match the parts and what they are supposed to in their sizes etc. so I have had to adapt parts.  I know it may be dumb of me to ask, BUT, is the full length of the crankshaft tube glued to anything, apart from the engine tube endcap?

I preseume that the crankshaft is supposed to be free turning along the full length when the prop and engine is glued on?

Also, I had to modify the carburettor as the side horns were far too small to take the bras tube supplied.  Instead I have filed down the horns thinner and used a smaller pipe in place of that supplied.

My other query is......How do I secure the engine mount tube ( attached to the carburettor) to stop irt moving about when the crankshaft is turned.  Is it supposed to be glued to the rear edges of the diagonal engine mounts.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Colin