18th Century Long Boat by alde - Model Shipways - Small

I have been working on my MS Glad Tidings and enjoying it but I have had an itch to start the Longboat that's been sit ting in my stash for a couple of years. I read throughbthe instruction book last night started buildding this morning. The instructions are superb. They are the best I have had the pleasure of using so far. The laser cut sheets are nice and clean with not too much burning to clean up. I also remembered that when I bought this kit I also bought boxwood strips to upgrade it. Since I want to get the feel of using better woods I will use it. 59e15c8588359_001-LongBoatBox.thumb.jpg.4f4e2b89d810da0c942db72e12d0022b.jpg

All ready to start.

59e15ecfaf148_002-Bunchofparts.thumb.jpg.32f04b632dd98cedf6a63723de571ccc.jpg

Rabbit cut. This went really well. It was easier than I expected it to be. I used a scapel and sanding sticks.

59e15f0002d2d_003-RabbitCut.thumb.jpg.100ba636719fd468d0b7c1938b2a3d9d.jpg

I weighted things down so the keel would be nice and straight. The wood is really nice and it went together perfectly. 

59e15f2ac8f26_004-Waitingforgluetodry.thumb.jpg.553275d7eb947897b519bf44a3627f73.jpg

Here is the complete keel assembly ready for fitting the frames.

59e15f51dd917_005-StemandKeelgluedup.thumb.jpg.87296f9980ac59a194a5274a04977d1e.jpg

I had to fit each frame with a bit of filing. The frames would not seat without some fitting. 

59e15f6f6e2d8_006-Bulkheadsdryfitted.thumb.jpg.4e26ccaeb9db9ebd21fce11393509f15.jpg

Here is the glued up keel assembly with frames installed. They needed a bit of squaring up but it went very well. Next I will install some battens on top of the break out bulkheads for some rigidity during sanding.

59e15fa33f6e5_007-Allframedup.thumb.jpg.8a14d116a5ae4fe94ad081f466ce1a4d.jpg

So far I am loving this kit. I can't wait to get back to it. 

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Hi Al.

Nice little project. Will follow along on this one as it makes a nice finished model.

Was the original timber not usable or did you just want to use Boxwood timber ? "Better wood" as you said.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

7 hours ago, AntonyUK said:

Hi Al.

7 hours ago, AntonyUK said:

Nice little project. Will follow along on this one as it makes a nice finished model.

Was the original timber not usable or did you just want to use Boxwood timber ? "Better wood" as you said.

Regards Antony.

Welcome aboard Antony,

I have never used boxwood before and wanted to try it. The wood in the kit is very nice though.

Edited by alde

Al

Current Builds:

Pulling up a barrel and looking forward to watching this one, Al. I'm developin' a liking for these small boats.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

37 minutes ago, CaptainSteve said:

Pulling up a barrel and looking forward to watching this one, Al. I'm developin' a liking for these small boats.

Welcome aboard Steve.

It's a great little kit too. Chucks instructions are outstanding. As much as I like the warships I really like small boats. I have had the Model Shipways New Bedford Whale Boat on the shelf 10 years waiting for me to get up the nerve to start it. I plan to display it on davits.

Edited by alde

Al

Current Builds:

Hi Al, 

This is great.  I started following your Pinky build and now this.  I'm considering both kits.  I also pondered your question (I think it was yours) about how many builds one can / should maintain.  I think I have the answer.  

Looking forward to following along.

Mark

Edited by Estoy_Listo

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want

Current build: Model Expo Glad Tidings, Pinky Schooner

First builds:

Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack

Midwest Chesapeake Bay Flattie

46 minutes ago, Estoy_Listo said:

Hi Al, 

This is great.  I started following your Pinky build and now this.  I'm considering both kits.  I also pondered your question (I think it was yours) about how many builds one can / should maintain.  I think I have the answer.  

Looking forward to following along.

Mark

Mark, It's great to have you aboard. Both kits are really nice and are fun projects. The hull on the Pinky goes together really well and is great for learning to plank. The hull planks are are laser cut to their basic shape and only need to be fitted. It really shows how the planks need to be shaped to the curvature hull.

Al

Current Builds:

Hello Al, 

I'm going to join the audiance in here, too.

Thanks for sharing your beauty.

"Let's add every day 1/2 hour of

modelship building to our

projects' progress..."

Take care!

Christian Heinrich

OverTheWaves.jpg.534bd9a459123becf821c603b550c99e.jpg

simple, true and inpretentious motto of ROYAL LOUIS, 1668

Sunking's mediter. flagship most decorated ocean-going ship 

Ships on build:

SAINT PHILIPPE, 1693: 

1st rang French 90-gun ship - Lavente flagship (based on Heller SR - 1/92 & scratch in 1/64) 

TONNANT, 1693: 

1st rang French 90-gun ship - sister of SAINT PHILIPPE (mock-up/test-object for S.P. - scratch in 1/64) 

Projects in planing:

L'AURORE, 1766:

French Pleasure Corvette (after Ancre plans - scatch in 1/64)

Some Spantaneous Short Term Projects

26 minutes ago, Tigersteve said:

Count me in too. 

Steve

Steve, I don't know how I missed your longboat build but she looks fantastic. I love the way you displayed it.

Al

Current Builds:

Very nice and clean beginning. Keep up the good work.

Thank you all for the kind words and likes. I have made a bit more progress today. I got the frames faired, the transom and bow blocks installed and cleaned thosenup. So far so good. I'm pretty happy with the fairing. My after most frame before the transom is a bit off kilter but I'll live with it. I don't think it will be noticeable on the finished model.59e2b4356868e_FileOct14112232AM.thumb.jpeg.b6712115dbd3b563fc99431d242625ad.jpeg59e2b452c48c0_FileOct14112305AM.thumb.jpeg.692dce12f47bd14ad6203ead7d772e43.jpegq59e2b498083e8_FileOct14113916AM.thumb.jpeg.a08cae32699d3c9df9d8c0655efb9d2d.jpeg59e2b4aeb7031_FileOct14115413AM.thumb.jpeg.8777e60c7a73a42b500de537bc15adab.jpeg

File Oct 14, 11 38 56 AM.jpeg

Al

Current Builds:

This is a fun kit that can be deceptively challenging (in a good way). I learned a lot from it and it looks like you're off to a good start.

A little more progress today. I managed to get the first two planks installed. It went pretty and the edge bending using Chucks instructions works very well. I'm using all yellow wood glue so it's going to go a little slow. I really don't like to use super glue if I can help it.

20171016_153137.thumb.jpg.f9038db964b78a86c8dacaaad10223f3.jpg20171016_131808.thumb.jpg.fea6c3f13fc45aef1bb7568e740ceee4.jpg20171016_125444.thumb.jpg.d7f893bc8e85a07cd513673bbec1a5f9.jpg20171016_151435.thumb.jpg.016ed618578afa66556c89f7fc5decc7.jpg

20171016_151435.jpg

Edited by alde

Al

Current Builds:

This may be a trick of the photo, but to my eye it seems that your sheer plank doesn't quite curve smoothly along the whole run of the hull. At about the 7th frame from the stern, there seems to be a sharper curve transitioning from relatively straight sections fore and aft of that point (especially fore). I mention this, not to be critical, but because if this isn't an optical illusion it may give you trouble as you continue planking. Ideally that plank should follow a smooth, sweeping curve with no sudden changes; any of those later could ripple through the subsequent planking and give you wider gaps between the planks or more difficulty getting the planks to really follow the hull smoothly.

My apologies if it's just optical or if suggesting this is out of line, but I've always hoped others would point out potential concerns to me and wish to do the same for others.

31 minutes ago, Cathead said:

This may be a trick of the photo, but to my eye it seems that your sheer plank doesn't quite curve smoothly along the whole run of the hull. At about the 7th frame from the stern, there seems to be a sharper curve transitioning from relatively straight sections fore and aft of that point (especially fore). I mention this, not to be critical, but because if this isn't an optical illusion it may give you trouble as you continue planking. Ideally that plank should follow a smooth, sweeping curve with no sudden changes; any of those could ripple through the subsequent planking and give you wider gaps between the planks or more difficulty getting the planks to really follow the hull smoothly.

My apologies if it's just optical or if suggesting this is out of line, but I've always hoped others would point out potential concerns to me and wish to do the same for others.

I appreciate tell constructive criticism. I'm still learning and need all the help I can get. Looking at the hull again I see what you mean. I will see if I can remove the plank with some alcohol and do it right. I can see how it would just magnify as I go.

Edited by alde

Al

Current Builds:

Lookig real good alde :cheers:

I will follow along with you on your journey

Derek

Derek C

A man without a goal is like a ship without a rudder --Thomas Carlyle

Current Build

18th Century Whaling Vessel "Lagoda"

Finished Builds

Triton Cross Section by Derek C 1/48 

18th century longboat by Slideways - FINISHED - Model Shipways

18th century longboat by sideways from MS plans

Yes, I do think that looks smoother. Very much looking forward to the progression of your build, this was such a fun and instructive kit to build.

10 minutes ago, Cathead said:

Yes, I do think that looks smoother. Very much looking forward to the progression of your build, this was such a fun and instructive kit to build.

Thanks again for pointing it out. I am happy to redo things to make them right.

Al

Current Builds:

18 minutes ago, Blue Ensign said:

A good fix Alde, apart from planking issues the smooth sheer on this model is what gives it its beauty.

Looking at your last photo; has bulkhead No 3 (5th from aft) slipped out of true? 

B.E.

Yes, it's leaning a bit. I decided that since it shouldn't affect the planking and will be hard to see from inside the boat I would leave it alone. I know it's poor workmanship but I didn't notice it until the two shear planks were installed. I should have made a building jig for it.

Al

Current Builds:

I need to go back and look at some build logs again. I may be over thinking things like I usually do. I am using tick strips and proportional dividers to space out the planks. Fitting the garboard strake looks a bit tricky but I make as many of them as it takes to get it right.59e65545467c6_FileOct17114941AM.thumb.jpeg.1a6dd1ad1000a1a0d977ff02dc24bb84.jpeg 

Al

Current Builds:

Progress is very slow today. I only had a couple of hours to work on the boat and got a little done. The garboard stake is quite a challange for me. My understanding is that all the shaping of the plank is done on the edge that runs against the keel. Is this right? My first two hulls used pre-spiled planks so this is my first time doing this.

59e68e380d5fd_FileOct1732502PM.thumb.jpeg.07c91d6c6d82be8d9ffd1d8be12e061a.jpeg

Al

Current Builds:

I'm glad I didn't go further. I'll take a look at BobF's log before I do anything else and waste more wood?

Al

Current Builds:

Just take your time with it  it's a challenge, but you will learn a lot. There are dozens of longboat logs, but  BobF has the most detailed and impressive one. Erik's log is linked below. Another very clean log. His garboard is placed a bit more forward, but his plan worked very well for him.

Steve