US Brig Syren by jablackwell - Model Shipways - first POB build

As the Graphite, I went to an art store and bought a pencil made 100% of graphite. I have found that depending on the amount of caulking I was spending lots to time sharpening that #2. The other benefit of the art pencil is you can try different hardnesses to suit your taste. Good luck and enjoy the Syren. I am just beginning the copper plating. I will be posting an update once that is done.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

• 1 month later...

All,  Got back into the model this week after a prolonged becalming. All is well. I finished off the gunport sills today and have built a couple of short wooden pieces to help act as a jig for the gunport lentils. I'm happy with the sills: they are level from port to starboard, and they make a nice smooth line down the side... This is all coming together nicely, though the sanding is coming in the future... lots and lots of sanding.  :-)

~john

IMG_0459.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0472.jpg

John:

Your build looks good so far. The hard work here will pay off down the line. 

Russ

Very nice, and the background does it better thanks to the Ludwig set!

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Made more headway this afternoon given the lousy NH weather we are having today.... expecting some 12-18 inches (30 to 45cm) of snow.... So... what better that work on the model?! 

- Sanded down the sills and lintels, and everything held together. Nothing broke, so I am happy. 

- Trimmed the gun port template and taped that into place. 

- Marked all the little bits that make up the vertical walls of the gun ports.

- Set the mini chop saw fence to cut the gun port walls and chopped slew of those then started to glue them in.

- By the way: I am LOVING my new Dewalt finishing sander. It has saved me a ton of time, and is delicate enough to get it done safely.

- Some images follow....

IMG_0517.JPG

IMG_0518.JPG

IMG_0519.JPG

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0521.JPG

IMG_0522.JPG

IMG_0523.JPG

IMG_0524.JPG

You getting there, Nice progress

am still waiting for the castello boxvood from wood project source I orderd before it close 

its been over a month😲

and I orderd also all the rigging blocks from chuck about 5 days ago and its now in Oslo 

ready to be shipt to Stavanger , thats wat I call service😊

Svein.erik 

• 3 weeks later...

More progress this week between classes and grading papers. I have started to work on the stern. Yep - those little ribs are quite fragile, particularly where they have been inscribed with the laser cutter... so they tend to bend then break away from those marks. Cyanoacrylate to the rescue. I'm going to let this set overnight before continuing the stern framing.

~john

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

Got the sills and lintels in place.... now to the VERY gentle job of sanding and shaping the stern. I have already cracked the frames a couple of times. Slow going... 

~john

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

Worked on getting through the stern framing today between watching games of soccer. Got the sills and lentils sanded down. For sanding the exterior I used a DeWalt finishing sander. That is the best purchase I have ever made for building the Syren. It has saved me endless time in all the sanding of the gun ports. For the interior, the finishing sander will not fit, so I used a small pencil-like vibrating sander tool I picked up a while back when making the whale boats for the Kate Cory. That did the trick in no time at all. I then cut some spare sheet wood to fill in the two outboard gaps in the stern framing and then sanded the stern sides to fair against the future plank lines. Nothing broke, so I must be doing something right!  :-)  

~john

IMG_0645.thumb.jpg.e1ff6cc0944a86249839f04349c36729.jpg

IMG_0674.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_0668.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

• 1 month later...

All,

Still here!  ;-)  I was waiting on some boxwood to continue on with the build The next step is the start of planking. Got the stern framing completed and the ports all painted red. The wood has arrived, so onto the next part!  It's coming along. Some images below.

~john

IMG_0869.jpg

IMG_0876.jpg

IMG_0877.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Started planking this week. The key learning moment this time around was in trying to figure out how to get the boxwood shaped just right. The best I could get was to soak it for 6 hours, then shape it into a board with pre-placed pegs for the correct bow shape... and leave overnight to dry. The wood is pretty brittle, so small sharp curves are a no-no. Lessons learned!  So, the first plank has been set on both starboard and port sides. They may be incorrectly placed, but they are symmetrically aligned! ;-)  I can be happy with that! 

~john

IMG_0984.jpg

IMG_0983.jpg

IMG_0982.jpg

IMG_0960.jpg

between music sessions I ordered those planking clamps you use. Might come in handy when I start building this ship. In the meantime I eagerly follow your build. Steady as she goes!

currently: master korabel Schooner Polotsk

finished: the Swift 1805, the Lady Nelson

on the shelf: US Brig Syren, Le Renard and the Hermione

Hey Joe...you should try fiddling with a plank bender.  You can get quick and permanent curvature by wetting the wood and rolling the wet plank along the curved heated element with pressure. When I was planking the Nelson (before life and the Sultana distracted me) I was getting good at using my cheapie bender. My shipmates from my club made me examine its use and they are pretty cheap. Just another option for you.

looking good!

----------------------------------------------------

“Work like a Captain....Play like a Pirate!” — Every Ship Modeler...everywhere.

I am using a little peg stand that I built for a plank bender. The pegs align with the curve at the bow, and have some adjustment. Works well enough, but not as precise. The clamps are there to hold the plank onto the bulkheads long enough for the wood glue to set. I will be looking into additional plank bending methods (heat, etc) when the planks get to be needing bi-directional curvature, as it does towards the stern. I have a surface mount solder station that might just blow hot enough air, so I will be giving that a try some time soon on some scrap.

~john

Have you considered the binder clip clamps?  I like them much better than those screw in clamps. If anyone wants screw in clamps let me know. I used them once and immediately switched to the binder clips. The price is right to! My employer at the time was kind enough to donate to the cause.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Binder clips are cheap to buy as well!

Have plenty of them.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

8 hours ago, fnkershner said:

Have you considered the binder clip clamps?  I like them much better than those screw in clamps. If anyone wants screw in clamps let me know. I used them once and immediately switched to the binder clips. The price is right to! My employer at the time was kind enough to donate to the cause.

Darn! Wish I'd known earlier. I 've used the binder clips for the bulwarks. And that worked well. I thought clips to be a bit clumsy for planking (must be me..) and the screws looked cool. Oh well, I'll find out the hard way, I guess

Patrick: no worries!  I am doing well to remember my name on most days ;-)

All:  Yep I have TONS of binder clips.... best thing ever for frame clamping, as long as there is a bulkhead in place to attach the clamp to. Their price is right.

~john

Some free time has evolved into my schedule - namely, school is over! 3 X Huzzah!

I've been working on the upper planking with the boxwood, and it is moving along nicely.

Made a "wall of planks" to use as a test for the total height above the wales, and it looks to be just about spot on. So far, so good.

Using PVA, and going slowly to allow things to set overnight.  Some pics of the process.....

IMG_0987.jpg

IMG_1023.jpg

IMG_1030.jpg

IMG_1031.jpg

IMG_1032.jpg

You lucky you! So you are a teacher as well! And therefore a collegue of mine. My, my, we sure have a lot in common then. I still have 7 weeks to go before summerholiday. Just barely surviving ;) 

Off topic?

Right, well, your build is coming along fine. I'm enjoying it very much! Sail on!

Yep - a teacher - astrophysics during the school year and researcher during the summer months. It's good work, and allows for some interesting off-time hobbies.

Been working the planks up to the port openings. I have some images here to show how I am handling the cutting of the notches into the planks. I am using a small saw to notch the planks first, to the depth of the needed notch, then I use a #11 blade to remove most of the wood, then a small file to finish it off. It looks pretty good. It was a trial and error type thing at first, with a couple of horribly failed attempts. I am sure there are better methods, but this one is working for me thus far ;-)  The colorful clamps were a bargain at the Dollar Store... they are poorly made, but do just right for this work.

~john

IMG_1040.jpg

IMG_1045.jpg

IMG_1056.jpg

IMG_1057.jpg

IMG_1058.jpg

IMG_1059.jpg

IMG_1060.jpg

• 6 months later...

All,

Still working on the Syren - I haven't given up, honest!   I hope y'all have had a marvelous season and enjoyed the holidays.  With some of that luscious time off, I got back to planking the ship. It's slow going, but I am enjoying the pace, taking my time and slowly seeing it all come together. Some images of the current progress. The boxwood has been making this a real pleasure:

~john

IMG_2807.jpg

IMG_2813.jpg

• 1 year later...

An update, since it has been a long while. As many of us have noticed, the world is in a bit of chaos right now. My job and life surrounding my family and job have been really... "wild"... and unpredictable. I am still working (good), teaching astronomy and physics (good, too) and almost all remote (also good). I got back to the Syren build this week, which has me excited and happy. It offers some respite from the world's craziness. Right now I am continuing with the boxwood planking above the wales. I've decided to finish off one side first, perfect my methods then work on the other side... maybe the second side will be more presentable! Ha! So that places me some place in the early stages of chapter 5 on the build. One...plank...at...a...time 😉

~john

IMG_1062.JPG