Why no hoops on upper masts?

Mickgee

Hello guys,

I've never run across pics showing iron or rope hoops around upper masts.  How were they held together?

I'm building the Occre 'Dos Amigos' and applied rope hoops round the lower fore and main masts.

Weren't there any on the other mast segments?

Thanks,

Michael

Current fleet, plastic;  Cutty Sark, Revell 1975,  Gorch Fock, Heller 1986,  Royal Louis, Heller 1988,  Amerigo Vespucci, Heller 1990

To do;  Preussen and Passat, Heller

Wooden ships;  Karl and Marie, 1:50 Krick, 1991, Le Hussard (extremely bashed),  AL, scratch design, 2009

On the bench and struggling,  Dos Amigos, Occre

For the upper masts, being generally smaller, trees were still available of a suitable size to make a pole mast (not sectioned).  Much of the forests in Europe had been over harvested to the point that trees of the size necessary to make the large lower masts were no longer available so shipwrights resorted to what were called 'made masts' which were constructed from four to eight lengths of wood held together by iron hoops or rope wooldings.

Regards,

Edited by popeye2sea

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Henry, wonderful info, thanks much.

Even on big ships, like the 'Victory', I've seen no bands other than on the lower masts.

Yes, in the city I live in (in Germany), all through the forests are signs of the historical nature of the present area.  Along with other info, there is a reference to the mass depletion of forests during the wooden ship ages, hence all forest here have been planted, and the run is very aligned.  Exception being the occasional refuge for the monarchy for hunting purposes.  These still have natural growth.

Thanks Henry for the clarification.

Michael

Current fleet, plastic;  Cutty Sark, Revell 1975,  Gorch Fock, Heller 1986,  Royal Louis, Heller 1988,  Amerigo Vespucci, Heller 1990

Wooden ships;  Karl and Marie, 1:50 Krick, 1991, Le Hussard (extremely bashed),  AL, scratch design, 2009

On another note, what about the yards?

I know for sure the larger yards were built.

What about the upper yards, let's say the mars and upper mars?

They must of been very, very heavy.

Last week, this was found on Pinterest, unfortunately author is unknown to me.  This is the best documentation I've ever seen!

-0000.jpg.8c6d76f6474df63b9fbc51ba70d1ebb1.jpg

Michael

Michael

The same was true of the lower yards. Although in the case of the yards there were additional reasons due to the large stresses placed on them.  Again, the upper yards (topgallants and royals) were able to be single pieces due to their carrying less of a load and small enough to be made of a single tree.

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Excellent!

Thank you Henry, this clears up any thoughts or misconceptions.

Michael