Ship paintings

Vegaskip

Your sofa gives us some idea of the size of your works. I had assumed they were rather smaller.

In the spirit of smaller warships, I'd love to see your version of the USS Samuel B Roberts (DE-413) charging the IJN Chokai at the Battle Off Samar, hint hint. A distant cousin of mine served aboard the Sammy B and survived the encounter.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Thank you Chris, you never know, I'm always looking fo events to paint.  Size, Tourist was about as big as I do, it was Acrylic on stretched canvas (24" X 13")  I don't do the bigger one so much as they are a nuisance to store. Now I mostly use Watercolour on A3 pads about 16" X 10" . I usually leave then in the pad, much easier to store.

Ambush!

Fairmile C class MGBs waiting for the morning mist to clear

Jim

image.jpeg

Here's one Pre my RN Service, although I think anyone who was in the 'Far Flung' in the 60/70's  will be familiar with this view of Hong Kong 
The ship is 'Bendoran', I was there on her sister 'Benmacduhi'. This one is for a fellow Merchant Navy Association member who served on her.
W/C  about 16" X 10"
Jim

image.jpeg

I'm thinking it would be easier to pick the ones I don't like.... which is none.   I think they're all great.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I'm really enjoying your collection of paintings. Your style reminds me a lot of Mark Meyers whod id some pictures of early Russian and English explorers in Alaska,where I used to live. Great stuff, and so much of it too.

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

Jim, that last aurora picture captures the ones I saw flying over to Scotland once upon a time. Very nice work.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Wow Jim,

what an allround talent you have   !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thank you Nils, however it is all based on being able to draw. When when you've mastered that, it's all down hill and practice.

For these I used a dental technician's drill with Dimond point and carborundon discs. I tried to do it for a living, but I'm no salesman.!  Here' some mor but not maritime.

Jim 

image.png

image.png

image.png

What a way to dazzle your dinner guests - if you would trust them using these beautiful works of art.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Beautiful work Jim,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thank you both. They were done way back in the 1980's?

Today's painting is The Drifter Base at Flotta in Scapa Flo. The Drifters were used as Tenders to the Grand Fleet in WW1 and the RN in general in WW2.

And to give them something to tend ........ 

Nevada , part of the 6th BS of the Grand Fleet in 1918

Jim

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Vegaskip

Thes two paintings were presented to the Governer of Arkhangelsk Provence, and the Mayor of the city, by the British Ambassador to Moscow. The presentation was to mark the beguining of the celebrations marking the 75th anniversary of the arrival of the first Convoy to Russia in WW2. (Operation Dervish)

Both paintings are of the arrival of SS Llanstephen Castle at Arkhangelsk from diferent angles. 

Photo of the presentation (Grey beard is the British Ambassador, the other is Governor Orlov)

Jim

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

HMS Suffolk Sights Bismarck.
a quote from 'An Eyewitness Account of the Sinking of HMS Hood' by Lt D. N. Paton 
'Suddenly, at 7.22 in the evening of 23rd., one of the look-outs sighted Bismarck and Prinz Eugen emerging from a snow squall between Suffolk and the ice. There could be no mistaking the vastness of the battleship at the point blank range of seven miles, though the somewhat inappropriate remark of a midshipman – “Hood and Prince of Wales, I suppose” – subsequently became legendary. The enemy ships were moving fast in a S.W. direction parallel to the ice.'

When I read something like that, it makes me want to grab the brushes and paint it. Like here. Much more satisfying than the 'Eye candy' of the one above.
Jim

image.jpeg

Some more very nice artwork Jim.  I love ships from the era of 'great change' where sail was giving way to steam; you have captured that nicely.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Put my like button on auto reply You are very gifted.

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Thank you John, my pleasure.

Here is what I'm working on just now, nearly finished. Called 'Foul Deck'

WIP. This is HMS Hermes, 1960's. a Sea Vixen has just landed on. Up Hook, up Flaps, Wings folded and is being Taxiied off the Landing area. Unfortunately not fast enough as his tail was over the safety line (Foul Deck) and the Gannet on 'Finals' has been 'Waved off' to go round again.
Still needs more people, plane guard Helicopter and Port Cat and some FD details. ( The Director has just passed the a/c over to you the viewer!)

w/c 15" X 10"

(No not a Searchlight, 984 Radar 'dustbin')
Jim

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Vegaskip
Finished picture