Ship paintings

Vegaskip

• 2 weeks later...

Super Picture, My great uncle served on Calypso in WW1 as a signaller, he must have the most nautical name in the whole world and yes this is his real name 'Plimsoll Drake'.  

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

Love your sailing ships! Keep em coming.

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

• 1 month later...

Last year I was approached by Katya, a Teacher in a School in Murmansk. She asked if I could help her with some of my paintings of Russian Convoys, for a project she was doing with her pupils for the School Museum. She contacted me through the Dervish75 events which Greta and I Attended. Anyway, today I received a letter with a Christmas Card from her, along with the end result of the project. A small folder with photos of my paintings. It is to be used to promote the School's Museum.
A small thing but a little sign of friendship by the ordinary people of both Countries. Only the angry sensational stuff reaches the media, while us ordinary folk get on with life.
Jim

FB369B33-8C70-4B3D-8BBA-C8223BFEB016.jpeg

6BB56857-0C53-4D7E-8209-74869E6E2F3F.jpeg

That is a marvelous thing you did for their museum, Jim.   It's the little things we do for one another that make a difference.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks mark. Here’s one I did yesterday

Swordfish dropping a practice torpedo, aimed at the Paddle Minesweeper HMS Glen Avon. Off the coast of Fife near Crail. Glen Avon and Usk, both ex excursion steamers were taken up by the RN. Based for a while at Granton, they were often used as 'target ship' for aircraft from the torpedo school at HMS Jackdaw, RNAS Crail.
W/C 16” X 11” 

5C29C6FC-E643-4D77-9CB1-AE6FAAA92FE6.jpeg

Skip, your last painting really brought back a memory. I used to do some fisheries work on Stone Lagoon in Humboldt County, California. The lagoon is the middle one of a north-south group of three lagoons that form Humboldt Lagoons State Park. There's an old red schoolhouse across the road from the lagoon. The lagoon and its lone schoolhouse made an easily seen and identified waypoint for US naval aircraft practicing low-level ingress missions, so every so often we would see an F/A-18 or Intruder zip over at treetop height, just like in your painting.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

I was in a flight of Phantoms, years ago. doing something pretty similar during hunting season in central Pennsylvania. We were in a low fly area and crested a ridge at very low altitude, spooking some whitetails away from some poor guy who'd probably spent all morning maneuvering to get a shot.  As we rounded into a turn I glanced back and saw he wasn't exactly waving goodbye. I could see a bright orange jump suit in the tree line.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

South of Boardman, Oregon the Navy has a Bombing Range that started out as a WW 2 US Army Air Force bombing Range, still is in active use. In 64 I was running a John Deere 95 Combine like the one in the photo and in similar country on top and on the East side of Rock Creek. Navy often used to fly over as in your above painting and the pilots loved to buzz you. Usually could detect them and enjoy the flyover except for the one that caught me with my rear to the West on the crown of a hill he was skimming, set a record shutting down a 95 H when his shadow and engine noise struck at the same time, high heart rate for about 30 minutes. Think it was that shadow along with the sound that triggered that reaction, the shadow had not went over me during previous flyovers.                                                                                                                                                                                                 Image result for john deere 95 combine

Edited by jud

The Scottish Horse was a Yeomanry regiment of the British Army's Territorial Army raised in 1900 for service in the Second Boer War. It saw heavy fighting in both the First World War, as the 13th Battalion, Black Watch, and in the Second World War, as part of the Royal Artillery. It amalgamated with the Fife and Forfar Yeomanry to form the Fife and Forfar Yeomanry/Scottish Horse in 1956. The regiment also became part of the Army Air Corps 655 Squadron. 6th Regiment AAC. Originally raised around the village of Dunkeld the regiment's colours and archives are kept at Dunkeld Cathedral. The painting was commissioned by one of the keepers of the archives, it shows a Lynx Helicopter of 655 Sqdn AAC flying near Dunkeld Cathedral. 
16” X 11”
Jim
8D1EECC1-F3BE-45DB-9C3B-979FDDFBD130.jpeg.50788710cbe29b1627993382790a72bc.jpeg

thought it was a little more like, "I'm not following you, you're LOST"!

Love seeing your work and your diverse subjects. Makes me always wonder what is going to be next.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I have been admiring your amazing work for months and am a painter myself. Some of your paintings remind me of the late Montaque Dawson's sailing ship pic's. How long does it take for you to paint one? Could you post some pictures of the process? A paint log as it were.

Drown you may, but go you must and your reward shall be a man's pay or a hero's grave