Terrified

dooder85

so i took the plunge and finally ordered a kit - the Venetian Polacca (sp?) by Amati - it hasn't landed here yet but i'm already panicking as it doesn't seem like anyone - anywhere - has built this kit. 

This is my first ship, but i have built dollhouses & furniture (kits and scratch) so I think i will be able to fuddle it out with some of ya'lls help.

Thanks for having me!

Also read my log.....you'll see what a real beginner looks like when jumping in!  LOL  Enjoy the ride, frustration, success, and minor victories that come with building.  If you are a model furniture maker, you probably already have a very good eye and skillset for the wood ship arena.  Unlike myself....but it is fun to learn.  Lot's of folks here with oodles of experience.

----------------------------------------------------

“Work like a Captain....Play like a Pirate!” — Every Ship Modeler...everywhere.

Hi and a big welcome!

I was not familiar with your choice for a first build so I've just looked it up on Google. I'm sure you will find that it will be a rewarding and satisfying project, especially with your previous modelling experience. I was in a similar position to you and convinced myself that I'd taken on a project far beyond my abilities. I then learned two essential lessons: firstly you never know what you can achieve unless you have a go, and secondly that this site is in a class of it's own when it comes to the support and guidance available. Best advice is to start your own build log - and if a challenge arises just ask. There are so many talented builders here keen to help others succeed.

Good luck!

Graham.

Welcome to  MSW dooder85 

I am relatively new to this hobby and I am so glad that I found this website the people here are very talented and helpful. The forums and build logs are packed with so much information :10_1_10:

Derek

Derek C

A man without a goal is like a ship without a rudder --Thomas Carlyle

Current Build

18th Century Whaling Vessel "Lagoda"

Finished Builds

Triton Cross Section by Derek C 1/48 

18th century longboat by Slideways - FINISHED - Model Shipways

18th century longboat by sideways from MS plans

Welcome aboard. Just have fun with your build. You will get all the help you need here, especially if you start a build log. That way we all learn from it. 

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Welcome aboard, Doodler85.  

You came to the right place.  Great bunch of folks here.

Mark

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want

Current build: Model Expo Glad Tidings, Pinky Schooner

First builds:

Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack

Midwest Chesapeake Bay Flattie

:sign:, Dooder85

Maybe we can get a real name some day as well.:P

Choose a model that you feel you can be comfortable with, start a build log and post the progress.

If stuck (which will happen) we are here to help.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

16 hours ago, Nirvana said:

:sign:, Dooder85

Maybe we can get a real name some day as well.:P

Choose a model that you feel you can be comfortable with, start a build log and post the progress.

If stuck (which will happen) we are here to help.

Ha, good point - Aaron here, still getting my profile and all that jazz set up.  Thanks for the warm welcome guys

so i read through a few of the forum chains and i'm taking the advice given about jumping in too deep - and picked up a Swift kit on the way home tonight, learning on something a bit smaller seems.. prudent lol.  anyway i've got it's little skeleton glued and setting on my coffee table as we speak.

Welcome to the forum dooder85.

My first plank on bulkhead model was the Swift. It is a nice kit and makes a very nice finished model........I think it is a really good choice for an initial build.

Hi Doodler. 

Welcome to MSW.

Smart move with the swift kit.

It better to get to grips with and easer to build.

Tlloa the best Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Welcome to MSW! I will agree with the sentiments of it being a smart move to start of with something simpler and smaller. Take your time on the build, be sure to read ahead in the instructions and plan sheets and don't be afraid of asking a "dumb" question. Most of all, have fun! Best of luck to you on your first build! 

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

I may have managed to make my first f-up... i'm not sure if i used my hull material for planking.. is planking generally very very thin?  The kit said to use sheets, of which there weren't any, now that i have the decks done and varnished i've found a bundle of .. veneer?

Aaron,

Did you start a build log for us to follow.

If not, it's high-time to do so and upload pictures so we can help or at least guide you.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

OK so i have my build log started, I think it's even named correctly, thanks again for all the help guys.  Richard, it's a 2013 kit.   the pictures included are from back when they did die-cuts tho - mine is laser-cut, so the reference material isn't quite matching up - that could be where half the paranoia is coming from

• 2 weeks later...

I've never had a problem with insecurity. When I was in grade school I was given a pocket watch that didn't work. I told everyone that I was going to repair it and they told me that I was crazy. I've always thought that if I worked hard enough and long enough I could do anything. Well I took everything apart, found out why it didn't work, fixed the problem, and put it back together. It ran but ran very fast and backwards. That's when I discovered that I had built a time machine and I stuck to that story. So relax. The point is to have fun and if you're doing that it must be right.

Current build: US Brig Syren (MS)

Larry Van Es

Former President

Ship Modelers Association

Fullerton California

http://www.shipmodelersassociation.org

trip 134

welcome to the forum!   anyone who dons a Popeye shirt,  can't be all bad  ;)     I's got 2 er 3 of'em!  AK-K-K-k-k-k!

emoticones_dibujos_popeye-el-marino1_en.PlanetaEmoticon_com.gif.1cd2ebf7bfcb702a5dfd6e2fd9f8bd52.gif

plenty 'o folks here to help if'en you git stuck!   build away!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

Don't get discouraged.  It's a learning curve and sometimes, especially when starting out, it seems to be very steep.  Keep the log updated as you'll get questions answered, help, and meet some good people.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/17/2017 at 2:55 PM, dooder85 said:

so i took the plunge and finally ordered a kit - the Venetian Polacca (sp?) by Amati - it hasn't landed here yet but i'm already panicking as it doesn't seem like anyone - anywhere - has built this kit. 

This is my first ship, but i have built dollhouses & furniture (kits and scratch) so I think i will be able to fuddle it out with some of ya'lls help.

Thanks for having me!

Hi Dooder! I am in that boat right along side of you. My first build is the Hanna also by Amati. I look forward to learning with you. Norman