suggestions for drill

Alessandro

do you want a mini power drill or hand pin vise drill you listed OC 19104 did not come up what is the manufacturer

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

The main question would be how big or how small the holes would be, you want to drill. Down to 0,5 mm this is not a very big issue, but below that the run-out of the drill-spindle and the chuck/collets become a crucial variable in your considerations.

I gather, if you are based in continental Europe, as your first name might suggest, you may want to look into PROXXON-products, for both hand-held and bench-drills. Have intensively used their bench-drill for the last 35 or so years (I must admit, after a lot of abuse due to oversize work etc., now the bearings aren't the best anymore). All PROXXON-drills can be used either with a drill-chuck or collets. In general, I prefer the latter, as they are smaller and have a smaller run-out.

I never had any of the fancy Dremel or PROXXON hand-drills. Bought a simple DC electric motor in aluminium tube and with a collet attachment that is still alive and well after 40 years of heavy (ab)use. Again, I think steel collets are preferable over drill-chucks.

For a hand-held drill I would try out how it feels in your hand - diameter/balance. The rest is not so important.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

For convenience and ease of use, I have been enjoying the

Dremel 8050, but it requires additional collets and its price

on European Amazon is absurd

Edited by Jaager

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

You really need to look at the Dremel Micro 8050 I have bragged about this drill continually I was reluctant to buy it because it has a built in battery absolutely no problem to date holds a long charge when not in use i place it back in the charger. This tool is amazing $ 85.00 can get a drill bit into most places extremeley light, I have done 20 minutes of continuous HEAVY sanding still charged will take all attachments with right collets, light enough for  carving its absolutely amazing..

They have other battery dremels where the battery is not built in but they are bigger and heavier. Most people are put off because of the built in battery glad I went ahead and bought. Use for all jobs inside and outside the home not encumbered by extension cords.

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't see any mention as to what the use will be?

I use a dremel, for simple abuse, for anything bigger than an 1/8 of an inch or for extensive sanding/grinding I will use the Woodcarver.

Even if I am pinning cases or cabinets together, I tend to let the depth of my cut help decide which drill I'm going to use, at this point I'm using a large hand drill.

• 6 months later...

Hi all,

I have been a long time inactive on the forum (but continued to read). I bought the Proxxon and I'm very happy of it. I have almost finished my Pinta (but I'm too ashamed to show it). So I want to say thank you to the whole forum for the precious suggestions :)

As others have said there may need to be some clarification of the desired small hole size in order to establish a "correct" answer....including what is the definition of "small".

For creating holes with #60 or smaller drill bits, particularly as one approaches bits smaller than #70, there is no better drill press than the Cameron Micro Drill Press.  Cameron is a California based company and their drill presses seem frightfully expensive when first considered, but the spindles run very true and I can regularly drill #80 sized holes without any worry of breaking a bit.

Yes, there are a number of small drill press manufacturers but the Cameron (formerly Treat) Drill Press is the gold standard...

I bought mine about 35 years ago and after I got over the "pain" of the initial cost, I've enjoyed worry free drilling ever since.

One of those "buy it and forget it" type of purchases to advance one's skill set...

Cliff Ward

Cary, North Carolina

USA

I have about 10 proxxon tools. The drill press is one of my favourites. Check their website if you want to see it in action. Excellent quality product. 

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

On 10/18/2017 at 4:28 PM, John Allen said:

You really need to look at the Dremel Micro 8050.......

Thanks for the suggestion John! I have had 15 great years out of my corded Dremel, and wasn't even thinking of replacing it until I read your review, and then other reviews online. I have been leery of battery operated tools in the past, but for smaller jobs (probably 80% of them) this will be great! I will keep my old, powerful corded Dremel and I'm sure the two will complement each other well.

Will stop at Home Depot on my way home and pick one up :-)

From about as far from the ocean as you can get in North America!

This is what I am using:

http://datalocation.co.uk/data/CTM4001.pdf

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

On 10/18/2017 at 4:28 PM, John Allen said:

Use for all jobs inside and outside the home not encumbered by extension cords.

Personally, I heartily agree with that, as power chords are the bane of people in wheelchairs! I find them constantly in the way.  I am either rolling over the chord or getting it tangled in the chair itself.:default_wallbash: I also use that Dremel drill and really like using it for just that reason.:D

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

I have to agree with Cliff Ward.  The Cameron Drill Press is wonderful.  I, too, have had mine for over 40 years and it is a great accurate machine.  Coupled with the little x-y table you can do just about anything.  I like mine so much that I picked up another on E-Bay last year for my second home and workshop.  Once again as Cliff said it is not cheap but it will last a lifetime.

The manual 164 is the one that I have.  Didn't check the current price but watch E-Bay as they show up every now and then.

http://cameronmicrodrillpress.com/product/cameron-series-164/

Bill

Current Build:

Kate Cory Scratch Built

Previous Builds:

Benjamin W. Latham Scratch Built

H A Parks Skipjack Scratch Built

Charles W. Morgan Model Shipways Kit

Rattlesnake Model Shipways Kit

Diligence Model Shipways Kit

• 2 weeks later...