LST 452

Don Quixote

I'm looking for anything resembling the WWII LST 452. My neighbor is a vet, and his LST 452 was the first ship to hit the leyte gulf in the Philippines. I found a LST wooden ship, 400... I'm guessing that's a series? It was a $1000 wooden ship. He'll be dead by the time I finish that. I mean I love the 91 year old, but that's too much money. I don't care if it's die cast, or a plastic model, but I want to give this old man something.

He knows I build models and has hinted many a time that he wants a model of his old LST.

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

Under construction: Mamoli Roter Lowe

Completed builds: Constructo Enterprise, AL Le Renard

Up next: Panart Lynx, MS Harriet Lane

In need of attention: 14-foot Pintail in the driveway

The USS LST 542 was a Class 1 LST with elevator between the Tank Deck and Main Deck. Their Hulls were the basis of the 542 Class LSTs with main deck blowers moved from main deck, main deck reinforced so a larger and heavier deck load could be carried and a ramp to the main deck replaced the slow elevator. Point is, any class 542 LST model could easily be modified into the Class 1 configuration, photos and plans are available.

Edited by jud

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2017 at 7:38 PM, Stevinne said:

They have a 1.350 resin model here for about $170

When I went to pay it was $140. Said $165:cheers:

My friend said it's the exact same ship. He's 91. I hope he lives long enough for me to finish it.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Can we log that here?

In Dry Dock:

Sure, it's a ship.  We have quite a few kit ships (plastic and resin) and many hybrids (mixed... wood, resin, etc.).

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Great! I love this old man. After 71 years, he just got 3 out of 7 medals he earned. He's still owed 4 battle stars. I was the first person he show and I had the honor of pinning them on him.

Albert.jpg

metels.jpg

In Dry Dock:

28 minutes ago, HIPEXEC said:

I'll enjoy watching your build

What's up with the abandoned ship? You're the captain, were you last off the ship?

In Dry Dock:

From; ' LST ROUGH RIDERS SITE '.

Dave LaBar

Now me and a buddy and a guy named Joe
took off on a can from Sasebo,
The chow was poor and the fuel was low,
but that doggone can could really go.

Now along about the middle of the night,
we were steaming along with all our might,
When a cruiser behind us blinked his lights,
blew his whistle and pulled into sight.

We had twin screws on that little old can,
which might have you think we were in a jam,
But to you swabbies who don’t dig that jive
that’s 16 boilers and an overdrive.

Now we were men who likely knew
we could race all night until something blew.
That fantail was deep from the turn of the screws,
but through the waves we flew and flew.

Over the ocean we did glide,
flying along with the throttles wide.
The skipper screamed and the crew they cried,
but we and that cruiser stayed side by side.

We looked o’er the fantail ‘cause we heard something coming:
sounded like a jet the way it was humming.
It was coming along at a terrible pace,
and we knew right then it was the end of the race.

As it streaked by our side, we looked the other way,
but, the crew of the cruiser had nothing to say.
For there going by was a Reserve JG,
pushing a hopped up LST !

4 hours ago, jud said:

pushing a hopped up LST !

I'm printing that up so the old man can read that.

In Dry Dock:

• 3 years later...

Hello,

If you're still looking for the LST 1-class kit, here is the newest available kit with detail-up set.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/afv-club-se73515-lst-1-class-landing-ship-tank--1169535

AFV-Club 1/350

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/infini-model-im-535016r1-usn-lst-1-class-detail-up-set--1234994

https://www.finehobby.com/FrontStore/iGoodsView.phtml?iCategoryId=1796&iGoodsId=IM535016R1

INFINI Model detail up set

There are 3 LST museum ships in South Korea in 2021. I'll compare them and select one of them to build 542-class LST ship. 👍

2 hours ago, modeller_masa said:

Hello,

If you're still looking for the LST 1-class kit, here is the newest available kit with detail-up set.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/afv-club-se73515-lst-1-class-landing-ship-tank--1169535

AFV-Club 1/350

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/infini-model-im-535016r1-usn-lst-1-class-detail-up-set--1234994

https://www.finehobby.com/FrontStore/iGoodsView.phtml?iCategoryId=1796&iGoodsId=IM535016R1

INFINI Model detail up set

There are 3 LST museum ships in South Korea in 2021. I'll compare them and select one of them to build 542-class LST ship. 👍

I found a plastic kit and gave it to him to build. He did a pretty good job!