Swift 1805 by dooder85 - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:50 - First Build - Virginia Pilot Boat

First build here, i read somewhere that the first kits have detailed instructions that build your knowledge base to know how to fill in the blanks when it comes to the less detailed instructions on the larger / more complex kits.. if that's the case I sure am glad i started with this little guy because i'm really struggling with the instructions!  The miniature furniture kits / scratch-build tutorials i've worked off of have been drowning in detail.

The build was going reasonably smoothly until I got the planking, where the instructions call for installing the sheeting, after rummaging through the kit a few times looking for a sheet of planks I decided it must be another name for strip wood.  I didn't question this until i was securing the deck and the spacing between planks grew out of scale that I started second guessing and, digging through the kit one more time, found a pile of veneer strips - at this point i'm not sure if i've used my hull materials as planking or not!  The images all appear to be strip wood, so i'm going to carry on and assume everything is fine.  It's incredibly difficult to tell from any of the images online which wood was used, i seem to be the only one having this existential crisis.

Yesterday was spent sanding / sealing the decks and today I will tackle filing down the ribs so I can start working on the hull.

20171018_181227.jpg

20171018_204244.jpg

20171020_185749.jpg

20171021_162459.jpg

Great start! 

Jean-Philippe (JP)

Current build: SyrenRattlesnake (Scratch built)

:dancetl6:Please visit and subscribe to my YouTube Channel

On Hold: MayflowerHMS Victory Cross Section
Completed:   Armed Virginia Sloop, Viking ship,  The Flyer, Pilot BoatKrabbenkutterMarie-JeanneSloup, The Smasher

So far, so good.  As for the veneer, is it darker than what you planked the deck with?   The pictures of the whole deck look pretty good from here.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Given the habit of kit makers, you probably have the wood in the right places then.. light colored decks and darker hulls.   We all get gaps in planking at some time so just sand away the deck to get it smooth.  Do NOT vacuum or dispose of the sawdust.   Mix that with a 50/50 mixture of glue and water and apply as filler between the planks.  Let dry and sand again.   Repeat as needed.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Off to a good start.

Looking forward to see more.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

As to the quality of instructions. I would suggest they very more by who the manufacturer is than the cost or difficulty of the kit itself. I am not suggesting that the Swift is not a good kit for a first build, it is definitely that. It is more the fact that the Swift is built by AL. I would put them near the bottom of quality of kit and level of detail of instructions.

I also suggest that you may find it easier on your next build if you go with a manufacturer who is a native English speaker. At least then you will not have to deal with poor translations.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

I agree with Mark,sand down and fill in the gaps in the deck. It has been a long time since I built the Swift.... If I remember correctly the hull is double planked. The first basswood layer makes it easier to rectify mistakes,once again filling and sanding to make a good shape and surface to glue the outer layer of veneer to.

Take your time and don't get discouraged over mistakes. When you are done they won't be noticed.... It will be the over all look of the whole model your eyes take in. You will have learned a lot of how-to knowledge in the process.

Edited by JohnB40

• 1 year later...
On 10/22/2017 at 12:10 PM, mtaylor said:

Given the habit of kit makers, you probably have the wood in the right places then.. light colored decks and darker hulls.   We all get gaps in planking at some time so just sand away the deck to get it smooth.  Do NOT vacuum or dispose of the sawdust.   Mix that with a 50/50 mixture of glue and water and apply as filler between the planks.  Let dry and sand again.   Repeat as needed.

so simple, yet this escaped my thought   TYVM

Im looking forward to your build. I just got done with gluing 2-10

but the kit I have (same company) is different

my I post a pic